C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticking

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2003, 04:31 PM
BHaggard
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticking

My friend has an 2000 C5. Last night he filled up with 93 Octane from a 7/11. With in 15 minutes of filling up his car began to "tick". Upon acceleration the frequency of "ticking" increases. The car runs fine, idles the same, no service engine light, I told him to put some octane booster in it. He has put about 15 miles and it is still "ticking".

[Modified by BHaggard, 9:43 PM 1/4/2003]
Old 01-04-2003, 10:53 PM
lyonsh
Drifting

Default Re: Ticking (BHaggard)

Has your friend checked the oil level lately? If it's low, you can get a lifter tick.
Old 01-04-2003, 10:57 PM
LS1JAY
Heel & Toe

Default Re: Ticking (BHaggard)

If it's ticking, it's not the gas causing it! if it was bad gas it would cause it to ping in the high rpm's, it may be piston slap? does it go away? how loud is it? I would not recommend octane boost, it will foul the plugs with a red powder and most of the octane boosters do very little as far as performance goes, just keep an eye or ear ;) on the ticking and see if it goes away or changes at differen't operating temps or as time goes by.

[Modified by LS1JAY, 3:58 AM 1/5/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Ticking

Quick Reply: Ticking