C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rocker Nuts coming loose

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2022, 11:51 AM
Roadracingz
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rocker Nuts coming loose

Does anyone have any experience setting the lifter preload and torque spec for poly lock rocker nuts? Recently had one of the bodies crack on one of the rocker nuts and want to replace all the nuts for good measure but I don't have experience with the poly locks. Any info would be great.
Old 06-10-2022, 01:33 PM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Received 324 Likes on 265 Posts

No ploy locks or nuts in an LS engine. It’s a non adjustable valve train.

Did you possibly post in the wrong section?
Old 06-10-2022, 01:44 PM
Roadracingz
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand poly locks didn't come from factory in the LS, the valvetrain on mine is aftermarket for the Texas speed cam that's in it. So thus the reason why my car has poly lock rocker nuts. I'm just simply asking how to properly torque them and set the lifter preload.

Old 06-10-2022, 07:15 PM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Received 324 Likes on 265 Posts

I've never seen such a setup on an LS.
Typical installation would just have a bolt there, and preload is adjusted by selecting the correct pushrod length.

Whose setup is that?

At any rate, you would typically set it X number of turns from 0 lash, cam on the base circle, to establish preload. Then crank the set screw down, and give the poly lock a bit of an additional turn to lock the two together. Had more than a few Rat motors with that setup and that was how it's done.
Old 06-11-2022, 06:34 AM
grinder11
Race Director

Received 3,605 Likes on 2,556 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadracingz
I understand poly locks didn't come from factory in the LS, the valvetrain on mine is aftermarket for the Texas speed cam that's in it. So thus the reason why my car has poly lock rocker nuts. I'm just simply asking how to properly torque them and set the lifter preload.

Many years ago, when the LS1 was in its infancy, I remember seeing a magazine article about going back to rocker studs, and setting preload (and rocker arm geometry!) like the Gen1 SBC. Other than that, I've never seen that done on an LS motor. Are your rockers stud mounted?
Old 06-11-2022, 08:32 AM
helga203
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 373 Posts

Started about 20yrs ago that every enegin my neighbor and i build we put adjustable poly nuts. For the simply reason don't have to mess with pushrod length when changing cams. My arm is my torque wrench so cant help u there. More money ,but no headaches. There is a slight learning curve on tightening which u r running into.

Don't overthink it. Tightening has nothing to do with adjustment. So don't be scared to give it a little bite. But not crazy.
Old 06-11-2022, 12:37 PM
grinder11
Race Director

Received 3,605 Likes on 2,556 Posts

I'll also add that the top end of the stud, the "face" that the set screw tightens against, needs to be pretty flat. Last time I ran Polylocks, I surface ground the studs at the upper end.

Get notified of new replies

To Rocker Nuts coming loose

Quick Reply: Rocker Nuts coming loose