C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not sure if I should just get a new battery or not

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2022, 04:18 PM
ArcticWhite98_
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Not sure if I should just get a new battery or not

So, my Vette has had the same battery for about 8 years now. It's suppose to be good for just 5 years, however I still get anywhere from 13.1 - 13.7 volts. Car starts up just fine, no issues as far as I can see, but maybe it's better to play it safe & just replace it?
Old 04-12-2022, 05:08 PM
HandOverFist
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 227 Likes on 133 Posts

Been my experience when they go it's without warning. Park it and come back to nothing. The real test is where you are when it does happen.
The following users liked this post:
Bruss (04-15-2022)
Old 04-12-2022, 05:26 PM
STRMLNE
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 311 Posts

I always replace my batteries every 3 years an with AGM. Don’t take a chance with the pcm below the battery.
Old 04-13-2022, 05:28 AM
VetteMed
Le Mans Master

Received 215 Likes on 142 Posts

I'm not usually a fan of replacing good parts, but you're on borrowed time with an 8 year old battery. How much do you like to gamble?

grinder11 (04-14-2022)
Old 04-13-2022, 08:50 AM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Received 1,217 Likes on 777 Posts

Should you decide to go somewhere with your wife/significant other in a not so populated area and go to get in and no start, have to wait 3 hours for someone to come for a battery jump, and listen to how you should have replaced the battery long ago, you will not stretch the life of your battery again. Ask me how I know.
JCMDoug (04-13-2022)
Old 04-13-2022, 02:31 PM
MetalMan2
Melting Slicks

Received 1,024 Likes on 650 Posts

Here's my take...

I bought an AGM battery last July/August. It had already died by February, and I've got a warranty replacement in the car now.
You could buy a replacement battery that may end up lasting less than your current battery would if you just leave it alone.

Fortunately I already had a small lithium-battery jump pack to jump-start the car. I probably used it 6 times before finally replacing the battery (I did a variety of diagnostics to confirm battery was back, since a 6-month old battery shouldn't have died so soon).
My recommendation is to carry a jump pack in your trunk to quell your fear of the battery dying on you. This is the one I've used which has worked very well:
Amazon Amazon
(of course I paid only $50 back in Nov 2020, now it's $80)

In addition, a proper battery tender can help improve the life of the battery. That's my next recommendation... recently I installed a NOCO Genius 2D into my C5. Amazon has a great price on it currently.
Amazon Amazon
Old 04-13-2022, 02:42 PM
HandOverFist
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 227 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by MetalMan2
Here's my take...

I bought an AGM battery last July/August. It had already died by February, and I've got a warranty replacement in the car now.
You could buy a replacement battery that may end up lasting less than your current battery would if you just leave it alone.

Fortunately I already had a small lithium-battery jump pack to jump-start the car. I probably used it 6 times before finally replacing the battery (I did a variety of diagnostics to confirm battery was back, since a 6-month old battery shouldn't have died so soon).
My recommendation is to carry a jump pack in your trunk to quell your fear of the battery dying on you. This is the one I've used which has worked very well:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015TKPT1A/
(of course I paid only $50 back in Nov 2020, now it's $80)

In addition, a proper battery tender can help improve the life of the battery. That's my next recommendation... recently I installed a NOCO Genius 2D into my C5. Amazon has a great price on it currently. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W3QSMF9/
What battery did you have so the rest of us can avoid it lol?
Old 04-13-2022, 02:42 PM
JimmyS5600
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

Strange that you mentioned this. I have a 14 Silverado that I purchased new. Even this past winter in 10 degree weather it fired up
just fine. Used the truck last week to run some errands and all was well. Two days ago the battery was flat dead. I renewed the
battery and checked for draw and alternator output,all was well. I guess 8 years was long enough to wait. Replace yours!
Old 04-13-2022, 02:48 PM
MetalMan2
Melting Slicks

Received 1,024 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by HandOverFist
What battery did you have so the rest of us can avoid it lol?
It's an O'Reillys Super Start Platinum in Group 78 size. This is just a rebranded battery, and likely a fluke. This issue can happen with pretty much any battery as far as I am concerned.
Old 04-13-2022, 04:11 PM
ArcticWhite98_
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 11 Posts

I will be switching out the battery today, thank you guys

Get notified of new replies

To Not sure if I should just get a new battery or not

Quick Reply: Not sure if I should just get a new battery or not