C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Transmission/ Torque Converter help, guys!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2002, 06:49 PM
C5 2XLR8
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need Transmission/ Torque Converter help, guys!!

Hi guys,

I have a 2002 Coupe with a new Pro Yank transmission and a Super Yank 3500 stall converter that was installed about 3 weeks ago at the Chevy Dealer. I also have 3.42 gears and a Predator Programmer. I'm getting ready to have a heads/cam/blower package installed soon, but I have been having trouble with the car shifting from second into third gear. What it is doing is that when it goes to shift into 3rd gear at say for instance 2,500 rpm, the unit slips up to say 3,000-3,200 rpm for a second and then shifts into gear. It only does it under normal driving conditions or full throttle. It doesn't do it under light (low horsepower) acceleration.. The transmission shifts hard and fast from first into second, and only has the problem from second gear into third. The car grabs rubber pretty hard when it shifts from 2-3, and also from 3-4. It will smoke the tires of course in first gear. I have reprogrammed the computer for the 3.42 gears, different wheel and tire sizes, and have also changed the shift point mph and rpm as suggested. I have had this problem since day one of the install at the Chevrolet Dealer's, and this problem was even written down on my invoice. I have been breaking in the unit for over 400 miles now, with no changes. Has anyone experienced this or know what I should do? I have been in contact with Mike Senia at Yank Converters and have been doing exactly what he has told me to do, and it is still the same. He told me that this is common with the torque converter, and that it must be broken in and then it will stop. I talked to him earlier today and he told me to shorten the shift time as much as possible, which I did. The Predator performance tune shortens up shift times, and there is a faster available adjustment on top of that,up to a 25% quicker shift time, which I changed it to today. No change in the problem at all. I don't know what to do, guys.
The transmission has a 60 day warranty from date of shipping, and the torque converter has a 2 year warranty. Does anyone have info or suggestions? I really need to get this ironed out, guys. Thank you very much for your help, I appreciate it. Mike

2002 Pewter Coupe fully loaded & all windows tinted
HRE 541's with Michelin Pilot Sports
TPIS long tubes with Corsa Indy exhausts & X-pipe
Halltech T-1 Sidewinder & ported throttle body
Carbon fiber engine cover & preformance hood seal
Predator Power Programmer
Yank Pro Yank Transmission with a Super Yank 3500 converter
3.42 gears
160 degree thermostat
LOTS of Zaino

Previous vettes:
2000 Navy Blue Coupe, A4 fully loaded
2 1995 Coupes, automatics, loaded

:cheers: :yesnod:
Old 12-27-2002, 07:50 PM
WALLstAL
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Need Transmission/ Torque Converter help, guys!! (mrhappyman20000)

The only thing I can suggest is that you get some professional tuning on a dyno! Also that Predator may not be working right. I have a Yank ST-3500 with no problems.

[Modified by wallstAL, 4:53 PM 12/27/2002]
Old 12-27-2002, 10:36 PM
C5 2XLR8
Instructor

Default Re: Need Transmission/ Torque Converter help, guys!! (wallstAL)

That's an idea, Al. Do you have an aftermarket programmer for your vette? I have to do something about it, that's for sure. Have you heard of this happening before? I was talking to Shawn at LAPD and he's got a 3200 Yank with his beefed up A4 and he hasn't had that problem ever either, and doesn't know of anyone who has experienced it either. I really feel that the problem is in the converter, not the tranny. Hopefully, I'll be able to get it figured out. Thanks, Al. Nice car, by the way. :yesnod:
Old 01-05-2003, 07:38 PM
Noggles
Team Owner

Location: Adventure, excitement ... a Jedi craves not these things.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Nice meeting you Mike. Good luck with the tranny/torque problem. You have a beautiful ride! :cool:

Noggles :seeya
Old 01-05-2003, 07:43 PM
Redvette_22
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

I have seen a 2-3 shift issue with 97 & 98 Vettes, but at higher RPM then you are indicating. I have had problems with it since we raised the rev limiter and shift RPM with the new package, but it seems that the newest version of LS1 Edit may correct it. I have yet to have my programming updated so I can test it, but I am hopeful. :yesnod:
Old 01-05-2003, 07:46 PM
C5 2XLR8
Instructor

Default Re: Need Transmission/ Torque Converter help, guys!! (Noggles)

Hi Noggles,
Thanks you for the compliment, you also have a beautiful vette. I'll let you know what happens with the transmission/converter thing too. It was very nice meeting you also. Talk to you soon, take care. Mike :cheers: :cool: :yesnod:
Old 01-05-2003, 07:51 PM
robsvette
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

i had that same problem with my old 92 GMC typhoon after i had the tranny rebuilt. it turned out that it was only an adjustment. they also did a shift kit and then it was all corrected
Old 01-05-2003, 07:57 PM
vstella
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same exact problem with the TTS powerloader when it was first installed with the 3.42 and PT2800..It's a simple fix and will leave you smilin''..I promise..:D

Get a Transgo shift kit....This is a mechanical modification to the valve body of the transmission..You also probably still have the Torque management system in the PCM program and it needs to be deleted . I don't know if the Pedator is capable of removing the TMS..but it typically it delays the 2-3 and 3-4 shift. My car would delay 200-300 rpms and the car would not shift for a split second and at times even hit the rev limiter because of the dealy. the Transgo will give you crisp, sure and lightning quick shifts..
Here's some more on the Transgo shift kit..http://www.txchange.com/transgo.htm

I got mine from Shawn at www.thelapd.com for about $109.00..Installation should be about $160-$200 by an experienced transmission tech and about 3-5 hours trime...Do it... It will cure what ails you... :yesnod: :D
Old 01-05-2003, 08:00 PM
C5 2XLR8
Instructor

Default Re: Need Transmission/ Torque Converter help, guys!! (robsvette)

Well hopefully I will be able to get it ironed out soon. I'm going to be taking it to the dealer on Wednesday and get it looked at. Hopefully it will just be an adjustment or shimming of the servo rod on the transmission. Thanks for the info, I'll keep my fingers crossed that it will be fixed when I pick it back up. Take care, Mike :cool: :cheers: :D :yesnod:
Old 01-05-2003, 08:06 PM
C5 2XLR8
Instructor

Default Re: Need Transmission/ Torque Converter help, guys!! (vstella)

I used to have the TTS Powerloader before I had the Predator, but the transmission is a brand new PROYANK transmission that is rated at 700 ft. lbs. or torque. It already shifts pretty hard, I will ask about the torque management system. That is very cool information, I really appreciate it. I just want it to be right, and it is definitely not. I buy everything from LAPD and Shawn is VERY cool to me. I will look into the Transgo unit as well. Thank you very much for your input, talk to you soon. NIce car, by the way!!!!Take care, Mike :cheers: :cool: :D :yesnod: :flag
Old 01-06-2003, 12:27 AM
C5 2XLR8
Instructor

Default Re: Need Transmission/ Torque Converter help, guys!! (Red98C5)

That's interesting. It does it at virtually all rpm's from around 2,000 up to wide open throttle shifts at 5,500. At 5,500rpm when it goes to shift, the tach jumps up about 6,000-6,200 for about a half second, then shifts and grabs rubber. At very light acceleration, it doesn't do it. It only does it when I'm accelerating normally or harder. Hopefully, it will be able to get fixed without having to go through a bunch of hoops first. We'll see. Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. Mike :crazy: :cheers: :D :yesnod:

Get notified of new replies

To Need Transmission/ Torque Converter help, guys!!

Quick Reply: Need Transmission/ Torque Converter help, guys!!