C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 2002 C5 coupe battery

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2021, 08:53 PM
Randyman2002
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default New 2002 C5 coupe battery

Costco has the Interstate battery for a good price and after looking for a new AC Delco I've stared to wonder if it's time to change brands to Interstate. I'm asking myself that since I use the car very little and it's stored 7 or 8 months of the year, what do I really NEED?

Can't wait to see the responses. I want to get something!
Thanks
Old 10-12-2021, 09:14 PM
MrMcE
Le Mans Master

Received 484 Likes on 273 Posts

Get the cheapest battery you can get. Maybe even a motorcycle battery.
Then work your way up after those fail.
Old 10-13-2021, 12:15 AM
mmartinez
Melting Slicks

Received 518 Likes on 434 Posts

Any battery will work as long as it is the proper battery for a C5, I would recommend disconnecting the battery and keeping it in a cool place, maybe connect a charger at least once a month if the car doesn't get started during winter.
Old 10-13-2021, 10:36 AM
Speedy007
Melting Slicks

Received 183 Likes on 165 Posts

Interstate is a decent battery …if ur getting it on sale at Costco it’s a no brained buy buy
Old 10-13-2021, 01:47 PM
666lisa
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Randyman2002
Costco has the Interstate battery for a good price and after looking for a new AC Delco I've stared to wonder if it's time to change brands to Interstate. I'm asking myself that since I use the car very little and it's stored 7 or 8 months of the year, what do I really NEED?

Can't wait to see the responses. I want to get something!
Thanks
What u should do is sell the car then u will have no battery issues anymore. The cars telling u something. DRIVE ME!!!!!!
Old 10-13-2021, 03:24 PM
NealinAZ
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I have a couple of cars that I drive less than 1000 miles per year and a coach which gets driven every summer, but sits for 9 months per year. The batteries at Costco will serve you well (the battery on my Nova failed after 23 months and they did a straight exchange with me and gave me another 24 month warranty...they told me they did away with pro-rating). The other thing to consider is a battery tender. I run small pulse chargers on all my seldom driven vehicles (including the three 1100 CCA engine start batteries for my 8V92TA diesel two stroke running straight 40W oil in my coach). Always ready to start when I turn the key, summer or winter.

Here is my battery tender of choice...it will work on flooded, AGM, and lithium batteries...6 or 12V.

Last edited by NealinAZ; 10-13-2021 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10-13-2021, 03:48 PM
Njmurvin
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Is the Costco battery AGM or flooded? As a recent owner of a C5, it is my understanding that it's recommended for the C5 to use AGM due to the vulnerability of electronics located under the battery. For that reason, I went with the Optima red top. However, I buy Costco Interstate for my other cars. Recently, I had a Costco battery fail at 3 yrs/2 months into a 3 1/2 year warranty. I expected to get a few bucks credit on a prorated warranty. Nope. They gave me a brand new battery and said, "See ya!" I was blown away.

Last edited by Njmurvin; 10-13-2021 at 03:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Dads2kconvertible (10-13-2021)
Old 10-13-2021, 06:26 PM
zofoman
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Go with an AGM battery (no particular brand) for the reason Njmurvin said (protect electronics). Do get and use a quality battery/float charger....I recommend the Battery Tender Plus. I hardwired the charging pigtail to the battery so can easily plug/unplug the tender when necessary. Good luck.
Old 10-13-2021, 10:36 PM
bookyoh
Racer

Received 162 Likes on 125 Posts

You will get an extra year warranty when you buy the Costco Interstate with your Citi card. My Costco Interstate would not hold enough charge to start my car last winter. The factory warranty had just expired. I contacted Citi card, filed a claim, and got a full refund.
Old 10-14-2021, 05:27 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

One of the first things I did after purchasing a C5 in 2004 was replace the (rather new), name brand wet cell battery for an AGM I had in another vehicle. I did this because back then I was reading almost daily accounts of wet cell batteries leaking in the battery compartment of the C5 and doing significant and costly damage to vacuum lines, the wiring harness and the PCM. That AGM lasted more than 10 years when I replaced it with another AGM, this time an Interstate. I would highly recommend using an AGM battery, particularly so for a C5 where the battery sits above the PCM.

The benefits of using an AGM in the majority of my vehicles, from cars to trucks, Motorcycles and lawn tractors, far outweighs the cost in my personal experience.

The current Interstate battery listed for the C5 Corvette is the MTZ-78. This is the current replacement for the battery in my car, the MT7-75DT (Dual Terminal). I don't know if Interstate offers the dual terminal in the AGM battery any longer. You can purchase adapters to convert a side terminal battery to a "post" battery if needed.

I also have it hardwired with a pigtail to plug in my Battery MINDer.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 10-17-2021, 04:22 PM
Zedred
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Interstate is fine, I installed a Group 78 AGM Duracell earlier this year, from Sam's Club, my last Duracell (non AGM) lasted over 5 years without using a maintainer, all modern cars, especially
a Corvette need the most powerful battery you can fit .

Last edited by Zedred; 10-17-2021 at 04:23 PM.
Old 10-17-2021, 06:35 PM
Speedy007
Melting Slicks

Received 183 Likes on 165 Posts

Since Die Hard has come out again that’s my next battery..
Old 10-17-2021, 06:38 PM
dmsog
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Zedred
......a Corvette need the most powerful battery you can fit .
The Corvette doesn't need a more powerful battery than any other well optioned car. It takes no more battery power to start the car than any other V8 needs and the car (any car) runs off the alternator when running, not the battery.

Well optioned cars need a powerful alternator, not so much a powerful battery.

Old 10-17-2021, 07:46 PM
zofoman
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by dmsog
The Corvette doesn't need a more powerful battery than any other well optioned car. It takes no more battery power to start the car than any other V8 needs and the car (any car) runs off the alternator when running, not the battery.

Well optioned cars need a powerful alternator, not so much a powerful battery.
Well.....bit of a difference of opinion on the need for a more powerful battery. One absolutely needs more CCA the further North you go...you won't last long with a low CCA battery in International Falls in January. Also, the higher the compression in modified engines, the more juice you will need to start swinging the crankshaft (unless you have compression relief valves) to start. Been there done that.

Old 10-18-2021, 05:48 AM
dmsog
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by zofoman
Well.....bit of a difference of opinion on the need for a more powerful battery. One absolutely needs more CCA the further North you go...you won't last long with a low CCA battery in International Falls in January. Also, the higher the compression in modified engines, the more juice you will need to start swinging the crankshaft (unless you have compression relief valves) to start. Been there done that.
You moved the goal posts......my response was based on your original opinion; there was no mention by you of arctic conditions or high compression in that post and you are correct about that.
I stand by what I said based on normal circumstances.

Get notified of new replies

To New 2002 C5 coupe battery

Quick Reply: New 2002 C5 coupe battery