C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power seat

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2021, 11:54 AM
1997 C5
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Power seat

I disassembled my seat because the seat rocks up and down when the seat is down all the way but when the seat is up 1/4 to 1/2 way up it doesn't rock up and down. It's not the sliding forward and backward issue. I visually inspected the flanges and the forks and part I can't see any damage, or bent. What part is causing this issie?
Old 07-30-2021, 10:40 PM
redzg
Melting Slicks

Received 666 Likes on 534 Posts

I have a similar movement on my driver's seat. Shimmed the slide nuts and changed the elevation clevises, but still have some rock depending on how much elevation and/or seat base tilt. In my case, I'm certain that it's something I noticed -- but failed to properly deal with -- when I had the frame all apart. On each of the corners there is an angle bracket with a pivot rivet, that translates the tilt and elevation to the seat bottom. On mine, all four had some amount of play in the rivets, and that's where I think my rock is coming from.
Old 07-31-2021, 09:04 AM
monarch
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Oh.. these seats. SERENITY NOW!

I have a 2001 Z06 and it had the typical seat front-to-back movent and the seat-back "floppiness" (the back of the seat had a good 3-4" of back and forth play in it.

After taking my seat apart I found I had the typical worn bushings in the seat track screws, so I replaced them. However, upon looking at the seat out of the car I found the seat-back floppiness was part of the design. Seriously. Go look at post number #2 in the thread below, the issue is the "locking pin" on the side of the seat is utterly useless.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1602214046

Eventually you will come to the conclusion that so many of us have, the seats are the weakest part of the C5 and you'll start looking at replacements.

You said your issue only happens when the seat is all the way back. One possible source of what may be happening is that your belt is loose enough when you're all the way back that it lets you flop around.

When you're forward the tensioner may have slightly more tension and do a better job of holding you in place.

Last edited by monarch; 07-31-2021 at 09:08 AM.
Old 07-31-2021, 05:05 PM
F1Fan
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

There's several folks making kits for it, it's not to bad to fix, but it's super common.
Many aftermarket seats are just another compromise though. Personally, I'm getting rid of my Corbeau's and recovering my stock seats with sport covers instead.

Get notified of new replies

To Power seat

Quick Reply: Power seat