C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 Z06 Cyl 6 intake valve spring broken / valve drop

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2021, 07:38 PM
Purple92
Melting Slicks

Received 786 Likes on 541 Posts

dodis - Ummm... - it appears that LS3 Crate Engines are in stock at:

SDPC: https://sdparts.com/i-24504568-chevr...hoCMGcQAvD_BwE

Pace Performance: https://paceperformance.com/LS3-Crat...-19419862.html

It seems that there is a shortage of crankshafts right now - and GM is saying that won't be resolved until late Sept or Oct. Another option you have is to go to a place like Texas Speed - and get one built a bit 'better" than stock if that's what you'd like to do.
Old 09-13-2021, 08:48 PM
90lxtc
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

The country has a shortage of people willing to work… that’s the real issue.
Old 09-13-2021, 09:51 PM
Purple92
Melting Slicks

Received 786 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by 90lxtc
Can't Argue with That !!!!

(Except maybe to say that in addition to "Willin to Work" - we also need "Capable of Doing the Job'. While there are some really good, really smart young college grads out there - there are also some who I have real questions about how they ever passed High School courses - let alone college courses.
The following 2 users liked this post by Purple92:
leadfoot4 (09-15-2021), richardnielsen (09-14-2021)
Old 09-14-2021, 08:50 AM
dodis
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Purple92
dodis - Ummm... - it appears that LS3 Crate Engines are in stock at:

SDPC: https://sdparts.com/i-24504568-chevr...hoCMGcQAvD_BwE

Pace Performance: https://paceperformance.com/LS3-Crat...-19419862.html

It seems that there is a shortage of crankshafts right now - and GM is saying that won't be resolved until late Sept or Oct. Another option you have is to go to a place like Texas Speed - and get one built a bit 'better" than stock if that's what you'd like to do.
Certainly not a bad option there - the biggest obstacle from getting a TSP Built Engine is the $$$ - literally more than I paid for the car
Old 09-14-2021, 08:51 AM
dodis
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 90lxtc
True story right there brother...my wife does HR for a living and it is astonishing how many folks try and claim "un-employment" - some of which never even worked for the company at all ... idiots
Old 09-14-2021, 09:43 AM
k24556
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 171 Posts

Your photos show standard valve springs. The LS6 had beehives. So, someone has been there before. You may already have an LS1 in the car.

Your photos show both keeper halves laying next to the adjacent spring.

Since you can’t see the valve stem, it is probably just below the guide. That is not good news.

That head is likely toast, If you don’t see a crack or bulge in the block, you may just have a bent rod, and rod bearings ground up. So it is possible the crank can be saved with a journal grind. Also the block may be OK, though will need to be hot-tanked. Cylinder wall damage is likely, though. The intake bonnet is almost 1/2 the diameter of the bore, so that is a lot of metal to accommodate in the combustion chamber

IF the engine is an LS6 there are some parts worth salvaging. The other head IF it is a 243, and the intake . If you find out it is an LS1, then replacement decisions are the future.
Old 09-14-2021, 03:42 PM
grinder11
Race Director

Received 3,606 Likes on 2,556 Posts

Originally Posted by dodis
Sup guys? Happy 4th of July!So long story short, was driving down the highway minding my own business, and I noticed the check engine light was on and flashing, not quite realizing how to process this just yet, I heard a loud constant ticking noise coming from the engine bay. Shut the car down, and pulled over to the right shoulder (luckily, I stopped where a weight station entrance was, so I was able to push the car over even further to get away from the traffic.

Let the car cool down, check the DIC and found the P0300 fault - I cleared it and tried to start the car, it would only run while feathering the gas pedal, but still run very poorly and the loud ticking noise was still present.

Anyways, got it towed home and I was praying for just a broken valve spring, I pulled the passenger side valve cover off and discovered the cylinder 6 intake valve spring broken, along with the keeper missing....and of course the valve is no where to be found

I havent pulled the heads yet to see if the block is salvageable.

My question to you guys is this : Assuming the worst and the engine needs to be replaced, whats the best budget friendly way to accomplish this? Can I get a used LS1 longblock and put 243 heads, LS6 cam and manifold and call it an LS6? Should I try and source an LS6 instead? Ebay has a few of them for around $5k or so. I know the best answer is to go with an LS/2/3/7 - but how everything is so expensive these days, I simply am not able to afford that.

I was thinking I could get an LS1 engine, maybe do a small cam and bolt ons and slowly put everything back in the car. I dunno, what do you guys think? What would you do? I dont have this kind of money laying around, so I will wait and save up to cover the cost either way, but was just looking to do it the correct way, without having to file for bankruptcy....any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone, and I hope you are enjoying Independence Day!
Having just returned from the Autofest in Frankenmuth, Michigan, I have a suggestion. While at the car show on Saturday,, September 11 (EEECK!!), I checked out the Chevrolet High Performance Parts 'tent'. I spied an LS3 Crate engine, the LS 376/480hp crate engine. On sale for $5,395.00 plus tax!! This is a complete engine/long block, minus the intake and exhaust manifolds, water pump, starter, and balancer. I thought it was a Helluva deal!! I'm sorry to hear about your motor. But this is (probably!) the most economical way to get a brand new engine, with warranty, plus gain 75hp, on the planet!! Hope this helps........
Old 09-15-2021, 08:07 AM
grinder11
Race Director

Received 3,606 Likes on 2,556 Posts

Originally Posted by dodis
True story right there brother...my wife does HR for a living and it is astonishing how many folks try and claim "un-employment" - some of which never even worked for the company at all ... idiots
Criminals, too!!

Quick Reply: 03 Z06 Cyl 6 intake valve spring broken / valve drop