C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pads and Rotors source

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2021, 03:38 PM
BobMachus
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Pads and Rotors source

Hi all,

My Y2K Vert needs front and rear pads and rotors. I got a quote for $1,200 from the local dealership for both axles. That seems a bit kooky to me. I've been doing this stuff myself forever, but now I'm just too busy so I'd like to sub this out if I can afford it. What is the current going rate for F/R pads and rotors installed? Also, if I choose to do them myself, what's the current wisdom on the best pads and rotors for what is, sadly, barely spirited driving.

Thanks!

Best regards,

Bob
Old 06-21-2021, 05:29 PM
Adwest52
Pro

Received 604 Likes on 288 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Brake Motive rotors and ceramic pads for around $300 for all four wheels and free shipping on Ebay. It's one hell of a deal. You can get plain rotors or drilled and slotted and they are fully zinc plated so they will look good for a long time. You won't be disappointed and they have been recommended by many other forum members. Also do it yourself and save a bunch of money.
The following 2 users liked this post by Adwest52:
ArmchairArchitect (06-21-2021), scorpiofox69 (06-22-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 05:49 PM
MikeTN77
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 36 Posts

I just put a set of Wilwood front and rear's on my 04, ordered from Summit and it was about 380 shipped. Drilled and Slotted w/the painted rotor hat. Put them on myself in a day, and that included painting calipers and new pads. Not a bad job at all on these C5's. Loving them so far, really cleaned up the wheel area

Old 06-22-2021, 11:59 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

For a quality brake pad that will last 2-3 times longer than OE take a look at the Carbotech 1521 brake pads.100% non-corrosive dust will not harm your wheels, paint or rotors. Carbotech brake pads are 100% made in the USA and contain NRS Technology Here is a link to explain further what NRS technology is exactly: http://www.nrsbrakes.com

Carbotech brake pads can be ordered here by calling me at 216-780-8825. Or I can send Pay Pal invoice. price and pad description is below. Sorry website is under construction for ordering at this time.

F: CT731 1521 $140.60

R: CT732 1521 $121.60

The Carbotech Bobcat 1521™ is our high performance street compound that is our most successful compound. The Bobcat compound is known for its awesome release and modulation, along with unmatched rotor friendliness. Like our AX™ & XP™ line of compounds, Bobcat 1521™ is a Ceramic based friction material offering minimal rotor damage and non-corrosive dust. Bobcat 1521™ offers outstanding performance, even when cold, low dusting and low noise with an excellent initial bite. This compound’s virtually perfect linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. Bobcat 1521™ operating range starts out at ambient and goes up to 900°F. Bobcat 1521™ is suitable for ALL street cars, perfect for your tow vehicle, police cruiser. The Bobcat 1521™ compound has been found to last two-three times longer than OE pads you can purchase at a dealership or national retailer. That’s one of the beauties of Carbotech Ceramic brake compounds. Bobcat 1521™ is NOT recommended for any track use.

For rotors I would get the Centric premium plain face rotor.

PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 06-22-2021, 01:37 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,769 Likes on 946 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Check out KNSbrakes.com for a big selection of pads and rotors. Talk with Ken or Coby. Both are knowledgeable about setup and can walk you through the options that work best for you.
Old 07-10-2021, 10:28 AM
BobMachus
Melting Slicks

Thanks everyone. Just as I thought, I should just suck it up, make time and do it myself. The cost/benefit to pay someone else is way off on this one.
The following users liked this post:
Yello95 (07-24-2021)
Old 07-24-2021, 01:09 AM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,229 Likes on 875 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by BobMachus
Hi all,

My Y2K Vert needs front and rear pads and rotors. I got a quote for $1,200 from the local dealership for both axles. That seems a bit kooky to me. I've been doing this stuff myself forever, but now I'm just too busy so I'd like to sub this out if I can afford it. What is the current going rate for F/R pads and rotors installed? Also, if I choose to do them myself, what's the current wisdom on the best pads and rotors for what is, sadly, barely spirited driving.

Thanks!

Best regards,

Bob
Originally Posted by BobMachus
Thanks everyone. Just as I thought, I should just suck it up, make time and do it myself. The cost/benefit to pay someone else is way off on this one.
I bought stock ACDelco pads and rotors from Rock Auto..
Good enough for me...

PS...The damn rotors are made in fkn cheena...
Old 07-25-2021, 08:03 PM
BobMachus
Melting Slicks

I bought some Brake Motive pads and rotors, Russel stainless brake lines and flushed it all out with synthetic DOT3. Painted the calipers when I was in there, scrubbed and greased the pins, and gave them a good bedding. The likelihood of me tracking this car is pretty small and I don't live in Colorado anymore where I could tear up the canyons. Braking is definitely improved a bit, but I suspect that is due to the new fluid and stainless lines more than the new pads and rotors. All in all, a well spent $350 in total parts and most of a Saturday talking my time to stay hydrated thanks the Athlete's Beer, Michelob Ultra. This and the brand new Continentals Extreme Contact Sports made a great increase in manners and my confidence in the car.

Thanks again and best regards,

Bob
Old 07-29-2021, 08:56 AM
grinder11
Race Director

Received 3,606 Likes on 2,556 Posts

Originally Posted by Yello95
I bought stock ACDelco pads and rotors from Rock Auto..
Good enough for me...

PS...The damn rotors are made in fkn cheena...
I agree. I don't run HPDE. I have been to the drag strip many times, which is a sort of HPDE. I've found that the stock stuff works very well, and is probably fine for 95% of us......

Get notified of new replies

To Pads and Rotors source

Quick Reply: Pads and Rotors source