C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ignition switch replacement c5

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2021, 07:20 AM
sargedel
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default ignition switch replacement c5

After replacing the ignition switch, does the car need to be reprogrammed???
Old 06-19-2021, 07:48 AM
xlst
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

No, just simply replace it and its good. Center piece, where the key goes, is reused.
Old 06-19-2021, 05:06 PM
Mastertvtech
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I spent the extra money and bought an OEM, which was pictured with a green housing in the rear, but arrived all black, china unit in GM box....It was defective. Tried re-springing it and it worked 3 days and then started intermittently doing weird things. Bought a second one and it too has issues. Now I am going to service my OEM. I have read many others have had similar results.
Old 06-20-2021, 02:08 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,439 Likes on 14,048 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Moved to C5 Tech.
Old 06-20-2021, 02:20 PM
C5 Diag
Moderator, Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,138 Likes on 1,703 Posts

Originally Posted by Mastertvtech
I spent the extra money and bought an OEM, which was pictured with a green housing in the rear, but arrived all black, china unit in GM box....It was defective. Tried re-springing it and it worked 3 days and then started intermittently doing weird things. Bought a second one and it too has issues. Now I am going to service my OEM. I have read many others have had similar results.
Where did you purchase your OEM switch ???
Old 08-07-2021, 09:16 PM
dcm0123
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The same problem.

The AC/Delco OEM "Made in China" version from Amazon was defective right out of box- starter contact has no power. Someone actually made a video on YouTube showing how to repair the no start issue caused by poor manufacturing. Will be sent back.

Where can you buy an OEM Switch?

Last edited by dcm0123; 08-10-2021 at 08:32 PM.
Old 08-07-2021, 09:25 PM
C5 Diag

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dcm0123
I have the same problem.

The AC/Delco OEM "Made in China" version from Amazon was defective right out of box- starter contact has no power. Someone actually made a video on YouTube showing how to repair the no start issue caused by poor manufacturing. Sending mine back.

Where can you buy an OEM Switch?

I bought mine from Rock Auto !!
Old 08-07-2021, 09:56 PM
Smoken1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 971 Likes on 783 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Suburban Chevrolet in Oregon and i'm sure many other places
https://www.trunkmonkeyparts.com/oem...witch-10308321
Old 08-07-2021, 11:46 PM
herwawan
Racer

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

I just installed mine today, same with the black back and made in China inscription. I haven’t driven the car yet but all functions are OK and it fixed all my issues yet. Also car starts right up.

Maybe a bad batch? I ordered mine yesterday, delivered today.

re-the video how to fix the part though, feel free to share how to do it. I’d like to try on my original defective part.
Old 08-07-2021, 11:53 PM
C5 Diag

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by herwawan
I just installed mine today, same with the black back and made in China inscription. I haven’t driven the car yet but all functions are OK and it fixed all my issues yet. Also car starts right up.

re-the video how to fix the part though, feel free to share how to do it. I’d like to try on my original defective part.
So your new switch fixed your issue ??…if it did please let everyone know on your post yesterday so that we know we have a fix !!
Old 08-08-2021, 12:29 AM
herwawan
Racer

Originally Posted by C5 Diag
So your new switch fixed your issue ??…if it did please let everyone know on your post yesterday so that we know we have a fix !!
Yes!!! I did update my thread with the new ordered from Amazon like the others and posted a short video. I am curious to know if these non-functional parts are just a few bad items or something else.
Old 08-08-2021, 04:34 PM
dcm0123
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Video
Old 08-08-2021, 04:36 PM
feeder82
Melting Slicks

Received 988 Likes on 626 Posts

The most counterfeited thing sold on Amazon is auto parts. buyer beware
Old 08-09-2021, 01:29 AM
Castor
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Mastertvtech
Now I'm worried. Just received a week ago new GM switch. Also arrived all black, china unit in GM box... Hope not defective.
Was not planning to change it now, but - after reading this - will do over weekend to check - not to miss return period...
Old 08-09-2021, 12:36 PM
Mastertvtech
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

At a minimum, I would test the contacts with a meter like the video shows.....My OEM that I serviced has been working flawlessly
Old 08-10-2021, 03:21 PM
herwawan
Racer

I received the new one from RockAuto. Unfortunately, it's the same black housing Made in China...

Old 08-11-2021, 06:28 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,344 Likes on 1,095 Posts

Originally Posted by C5 Diag
I bought mine from Rock Auto !!
So did I, about 3 weeks ago.....

Originally Posted by feeder82
The most counterfeited thing sold on Amazon is auto parts. buyer beware
I understand, and have understood this for quite a while. HOWEVER, how do you insure that you're not getting counterfeit stuff, when you go through legitimate sources, NOT some unknown e-bay seller? And, the package has "Genuine GM part" stamped all over it....

Originally Posted by Castor
Now I'm worried. Just received a week ago new GM switch. Also arrived all black, china unit in GM box... Hope not defective.
Was not planning to change it now, but - after reading this - will do over weekend to check - not to miss return period...
Same for me. A month ago, my car started throwing several DTCs, most of which were tied to the EBCM, but a couple that also COULD be tied to the ignition switch issues that have been discussed here, at CF, for a number of years. So, I removed the EBCM, sent it out to ABSfixer, and after re-installation, the car is good again, with no messages flashing on the DTC. Therefore, I wasn't looking forward to pulling the console apart, followed by the lower dash components, to change the ignition switch, especially if the car has been running well. And if the switch is indeed questionable, I don't want it sitting on my shelf, when it needs to be sent back....
Old 08-11-2021, 06:35 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,344 Likes on 1,095 Posts

I received the new one from RockAuto. Unfortunately, it's the same black housing Made in China...

Mine looks just like that one, and unfortunately, I bought it a couple of weeks before I thought I did, and my return date passed, a week ago. Secondly, I saw the original post about disassembling the OE switch, by popping the green cover, and accessing the contacts for testing/cleaning. Looking at the new one, with the black cover, I don't see any obvious places, where you'd disengage any tabs to open it up. Maybe I'm just not looking at it correctly....
Old 08-11-2021, 07:42 PM
herwawan
Racer

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Mine looks just like that one, and unfortunately, I bought it a couple of weeks before I thought I did, and my return date passed, a week ago. Secondly, I saw the original post about disassembling the OE switch, by popping the green cover, and accessing the contacts for testing/cleaning. Looking at the new one, with the black cover, I don't see any obvious places, where you'd disengage any tabs to open it up. Maybe I'm just not looking at it correctly....
At this point we can assume these are the new units moving forward. Amazon & RockAuto are shipping it.

Maybe best is to try to fix or original units, although I’ll just keep the one from Amazon in for a while and see what happens. I’ll keep the second unit from RockAuto in the car in case something ever goes wrong on a long trip, and I’ll see how to repair the original one in the meantime.

Get notified of new replies

To ignition switch replacement c5

Quick Reply: ignition switch replacement c5