C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID users please check this thread, need help with resistor for flip up lights.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2002, 05:31 PM
NassyVette
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HID users please check this thread, need help with resistor for flip up lights.

Can anyone using HID's let me know what size resistor you put in (and where) to make the headlights close? I read that there is a problem with the headlights not closing because they don't get the proper "signal" because of the HID lights being in, and that a resistor must be put in to give it the same "signal" that it had with stock bulbs. I need help with this, my car looks so ghetto driving around with the lights up during the day. :confused:
Old 12-16-2002, 05:45 PM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CA Events Coordinator

Default Re: HID users please check this thread, need help with resistor for flip up lights. (NassyVette)

You dont need a resistor to close the headlights after turning off the HID's... All you have to do is move the Headlight stalk to the High beam position and the lamps will close. :yesnod:

vetterdstr :cheers:
Old 12-16-2002, 07:04 PM
RUGBY
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: HID users please check this thread, need help with resistor for flip up lights. (vetterdstr)

You dont need a resistor to close the headlights after turning off the HID's... All you have to do is move the Headlight stalk to the High beam position and the lamps will close. :yesnod:

vetterdstr :cheers:
My buddy owns a shop (+ a TT Callaway) outside of denver. He put HID's on
his dad's 03...same problem. The high beam trick works, but for that kind of jack
why should you be forced to switch to HB to close your lights. He has
contacted the manufacturer and they say they are working on the problem.:rolleyes:
He (shop's owner) will not install anymore HID's until the problem is fixed.

Is there any cars that come with HID's + flip-ups???? Maybe they would have
the answer??
Old 12-16-2002, 09:46 PM
magragc5
Racer

Default Re: HID users please check this thread, need help with resistor for flip up lights. (NassyVette)

My HID's don't need a resistor. They turn on automatically when it gets dark and stay off when it's light out. They operate normally with the stalk. Do you have the H4 setup or the 9006?

Ed
Old 12-16-2002, 11:56 PM
Still_Single
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard of the resistor mod myself, but don't know the resistance or wattage to use.

I solved the problem another way - I put in a new heavy duty headlight wiring harness that had its own relays. The relays provide enough resistance to convince the BSM to close the headlights when they're turned off at the switch. It's more expensive than a resister, but it's a little safer.
Old 12-17-2002, 12:30 AM
NassyVette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: HID users please check this thread, need help with resistor for flip up lights. (Still_Single)

Moving the stalk to highbeam does not work for me. I have the 9006 kit, not sure what the H4 kit is? Where did you get those wiring harness at? Anyone know what I can do? :confused:
Old 12-17-2002, 08:51 AM
YO-EL
Race Director

Received 868 Likes on 433 Posts

LAPD has the resistor. Very simple. Lights now close as normal.
Old 12-17-2002, 06:46 PM
NassyVette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: HID users please check this thread, need help with resistor for flip up lights. (indypace78)

Could you tell me what size (amp? watt?) resistor it is, and where it goes (neg, pos, etc.). I would rather pick two resistors up from radio shack then buy the kit.

BTW, how much was the kit, and how is it set up, does it plug in, and where does it plug in?

Thanks
Old 12-17-2002, 10:13 PM
magragc5
Racer

My kit came with the wiring harness to tap straight from the battery for power it only uses the factory juice to turn on the new relays. The install was easy save for removing the headlights (they REALLY could have made that easier!). I mounted the transformers onto the brake duct with double back tape and Zip ties to be safe. Total cost $410 delivered for the complete Phillips 5000k for 9006 application.

Ed
Old 12-18-2002, 01:36 AM
GTP
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: HID users please check this thread, need help with resistor for flip up lights. (magragc5)

I've done a few HID install's for friends and found that ballasts wired directly to the OEM wire harness often times cause the headlights not to close. Like mentioned above a seperate wiring harness's that connect to the battery is a much better idea. Also stock wiring harness's are not built to handle the job of being able to instantly refire the bulb if it loses its arc. I've installed the wiring harness solution on 3 cars now and all the headlights close as normal. I've researched on the internet for months before referring friends and family to HID upgrades and i've finally found a all-in-one website that covers about everything. Since then I have returned the favor of being highly informed with the website by purchasing 3 6000k HID kits for Xmas presents. The website is at http://www.autolamps-online.com the prices are also good. 500.00 for a 4100k kit and 580.00 for a 6000k. These kits comes with harness's with OEM plug connectors. In the C5 I highly recommend the 6000k kit. I have yet to narrow down the reason but it seems to annoy other drivers less. And this is from a bulb that does'nt appear whiter like the 4100k bulb.....kind of a light purple hue. My guess is how the beam pattern is reflected with the 6000k bulb, it more closes matches the reflector the C5 comes with. Of course if GM would have fricken added HID as a option we would'nt be busy trying to improve on it. :)

Aaron Lephart
Old 12-18-2002, 06:34 PM
NassyVette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: HID users please check this thread, need help with resistor for flip up lights. (GTP)

Where can I get the proper harness?
Old 12-18-2002, 10:49 PM
magragc5
Racer

It is really easy to set up yourself. You just need two four point auto relays and some wire (preferably 12 ga.) If you want detailed instructions email me. Otherwise you will probably have to hava a stereo shop do it for you. Either way make sure you are not using the factory wiring for main power-it's too much for the 18 ga. wire to handle.

Ed
ekm7@optonline.net
:cheers:

[Modified by magragc5, 3:49 AM 12/19/2002]
Old 12-19-2002, 12:15 AM
barkingowl
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: HID users please check this thread, need help with resistor for flip up lights. (indypace78)

LAPD has the resistor. Very simple. Lights now close as normal.
:yesnod: In fact here's a pic...

Old 12-19-2002, 12:27 AM
GTP
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: HID users please check this thread, need help with resistor for flip up lights. (barkingowl)

Hello Barking,

Interesting picture. Is that a HID kit purchased from LAPD?

Thanks,
Aaron
Old 12-22-2002, 02:20 PM
C6 DVL
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08

I have HID's on my car, what they did was wire in a bulb, this way when you turn your lights off that bulb turns off and it brings the lights down. Yo can call the shop where I had it done.. SPEEDWORLD in Queens NY (718) 651-6541 ask for Spiero.

Get notified of new replies

To HID users please check this thread, need help with resistor for flip up lights.

Quick Reply: HID users please check this thread, need help with resistor for flip up lights.