C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

c5 empty fuel guauge - other question (can I drive if it drops/shows 'empty'?)

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2021, 01:48 AM
memememe
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default c5 empty fuel guauge - other question (can I drive if it drops/shows 'empty'?)

so, okay, been reading up on this...

question - if I am driving and the gauge "drops" to zero - can I still drive? Or - am I going to find all the sudden, even if I say have a full tank, that the car thinks I have no gas and it just stops?
or, if I just watch the mileage (until I figure out how to get it fixed/order some techron) - if I just watch the mileage (because I know how far I can normally travel), will I be okay?

thanks!

Last edited by memememe; 05-17-2021 at 08:24 AM.
Old 05-17-2021, 05:22 AM
ThomasR
Melting Slicks

Received 681 Likes on 413 Posts

You'll be fine.
Old 05-17-2021, 08:26 AM
memememe
Advanced

Originally Posted by MillennialSnowflake
You'll be fine.
I'm a little confused though - because in some of the posts I've read people have said it only registers as "half" a tank (so they've been left stranded on the highway)... so...? do I just assume I only have half a tank available? or..... what?
Old 05-17-2021, 09:14 AM
mmartinez
Melting Slicks

Received 518 Likes on 434 Posts

Two different things, the fuel level sending unit in your car has the build up of deposits causing the gage to read empty. Some cars experience problems where the fuel doesn't transfer from one tank to the other, couple treatments of the Techron should solve your cars problem.
Old 05-17-2021, 10:09 AM
feeder82
Melting Slicks

Received 988 Likes on 626 Posts

If your that worried fill it up and write down your mileage. Watch the miles traveled
Old 05-17-2021, 10:11 AM
memememe
Advanced

Originally Posted by mmartinez
Two different things, the fuel level sending unit in your car has the build up of deposits causing the gage to read empty. Some cars experience problems where the fuel doesn't transfer from one tank to the other, couple treatments of the Techron should solve your cars problem.
okay, so next question:
1. ppl have said different things, so not sure which is correct. when I get the techron:
a) do I put the whole bottle in the tank?
b) do I wait until I am almost empty in gas, 1/2 of gas, or almost full before putting it in?
c) some ppl said let the car sit, while others said drive it. which is it?
d) and I'm assuming as long as the fuel gauge doesn't drop again, means it worked?

2. what is the difference between issue of fuel being transferred from 1 tank to the other? (I thought ppl were saying that was causing the fuel gauge to read empty - or - was that a completely separate issue/something different?)

thanks!
Old 05-17-2021, 10:22 AM
Napoleon_Tanerite
Pro

Received 193 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by memememe
okay, so next question:
1. ppl have said different things, so not sure which is correct. when I get the techron:
a) do I put the whole bottle in the tank?
b) do I wait until I am almost empty in gas, 1/2 of gas, or almost full before putting it in?
c) some ppl said let the car sit, while others said drive it. which is it?
d) and I'm assuming as long as the fuel gauge doesn't drop again, means it worked?

2. what is the difference between issue of fuel being transferred from 1 tank to the other? (I thought ppl were saying that was causing the fuel gauge to read empty - or - was that a completely separate issue/something different?)

thanks!
Ok, here are some direct answers to your questions--
1. No, the car will not shut down because it thinks it doesn't have fuel. It will run until it genuinely doesn't have fuel, regardless of what the gauge reads.
2. Techron is a WAAAAAY over-rated bandaid solution to this very common problem. It might work for a while, but it's very likely you're just wasting your money. For use, get the tank full (you need to submerge the sending unit in fuel) and add it. By the time you get the tank burned down it will either have worked or not.

What you really need to do is replace the fuel sending units in the tank. If your car is early 03 or older it's not too terrible of a job. If it's mid-03 or newer it really sucks.
Old 05-17-2021, 10:27 AM
grinder11
Race Director

Received 3,606 Likes on 2,556 Posts

Originally Posted by feeder82
If your that worried fill it up and write down your mileage. Watch the miles traveled
Yup, worked for motorcycles for 100 years! It took many bottles/1,300 miles of driving before my gas gauge started reading correctly.......
Old 05-17-2021, 11:24 AM
PDQC5
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Once I started using non ethanol fuel in my 98 I have had no gauge issues.

Last edited by PDQC5; 05-17-2021 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05-17-2021, 01:16 PM
memememe
Advanced

Originally Posted by PDQC5
Once I started using non ethanol fuel in my 98 I have had no gauge issues.
is costco ethanol fuel? (that's usually where i fuel up) - and/or how would I know?
Old 05-17-2021, 01:17 PM
memememe
Advanced

Originally Posted by Napoleon_Tanerite
Ok, here are some direct answers to your questions--
1. No, the car will not shut down because it thinks it doesn't have fuel. It will run until it genuinely doesn't have fuel, regardless of what the gauge reads.
2. Techron is a WAAAAAY over-rated bandaid solution to this very common problem. It might work for a while, but it's very likely you're just wasting your money. For use, get the tank full (you need to submerge the sending unit in fuel) and add it. By the time you get the tank burned down it will either have worked or not.

What you really need to do is replace the fuel sending units in the tank. If your car is early 03 or older it's not too terrible of a job. If it's mid-03 or newer it really sucks.
it's a 2001 C5. re: techron, shoot - well, purchased 2 bottels already (its dumb "they" make you do it online, but that's the only place I could find it)... thx.
Old 05-17-2021, 04:00 PM
Napoleon_Tanerite
Pro

Originally Posted by memememe
it's a 2001 C5. re: techron, shoot - well, purchased 2 bottels already (its dumb "they" make you do it online, but that's the only place I could find it)... thx.
Techron isn't going to hurt anything, but don't be surprised if it does nothing to help either.
The following users liked this post:
sheck327 (06-29-2021)
Old 05-17-2021, 04:28 PM
wrmiles
Racer

Received 126 Likes on 95 Posts

The answer to your original question is: Maybe

If it went to zero because of a sender malfunction or contamination, you can use all the fuel, but it is on you to figure out when that is.

If it went to zero because the right tank is not transferring to the left tank (plugged jet pump, usually goes to zero 150-200 highway miles from full tank), you will run out of fuel with 6 or 7 gallons left in the right tank.

Old 05-17-2021, 11:51 PM
memememe
Advanced

Originally Posted by wrmiles
The answer to your original question is: Maybe

If it went to zero because of a sender malfunction or contamination, you can use all the fuel, but it is on you to figure out when that is.

If it went to zero because the right tank is not transferring to the left tank (plugged jet pump, usually goes to zero 150-200 highway miles from full tank), you will run out of fuel with 6 or 7 gallons left in the right tank.
ah, okay, makes more sense. more likey a sender malfunction/contamination... (right now I am at about 1/4 tank, and at least today was reading correctly)... it was just weird - because I had just gotten off the highway, and was pulling into a parking lot (around 1/2 full) - and then it dropped to zero... 5-10 mins later when I went to drive it again, it seemed to 'reset' properly...
Old 05-18-2021, 04:34 PM
mrlmd
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 198 Posts

In the three times over a 10 year period I owned my car that the gas gauge went to 0, it took maybe 2-3 min. after adding Techron for the gas reading to come back to normal. Worked every time.
If you add Techron periodically as a preventive measure, better to do it with the tank empty or 1/4 full rather than to a full tank so the Techron gets mixed with the gas and gets into both tanks.
Old 06-02-2021, 01:48 PM
JHrinsin
Drifting

Received 392 Likes on 320 Posts

Mine just acted up yesterday. Was reading fine, gradually going done over the last couple of weeks of limited driving on the full tank of "over the winter gas with stabilizer". Got off the freeway after about an hour drive and the gauge went from 3/8 tank to zero near instantly. Pulled into a station and put 5 gallons in the tank (just because I got spooked) and the gauge jumped up to 5/8 tank. Hmmm.... later drove back home and filled her up - it took 11.2 gallons and the gauge now reads full. Okay so something is amiss. So this morning after doing some reading here, I poured in a can of Berryman's B12 that I had in the garage. We shall see what happens. Just another reminder I guess of why we should stick with Top Tier rated gasoline brands and skip the cheap ****.
Old 06-07-2021, 11:34 AM
JHrinsin
Drifting

Received 392 Likes on 320 Posts

BTW, I checked the codes yesterday and found a P1431 code. I erased that code and will see if the Berryman's B12 and fresh Top Tier gas helps.

Get notified of new replies

To c5 empty fuel guauge - other question (can I drive if it drops/shows 'empty'?)

Old 06-07-2021, 11:50 AM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

All depends how bad the deposits on the sensors is,,,

I've had this problem intermittently for many years, for me, adding Techron solves the issue every time...depending on bottle size I'll add 1 or 2 bottles of techron...

I'll add bottle when it fails and then another treatment when down to 1/4 or less...

Old 06-07-2021, 12:07 PM
helga203
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 373 Posts

I think i gave up after the 5th bottle of techron.
The following 2 users liked this post by helga203:
JHrinsin (06-25-2021), sheck327 (06-29-2021)
Old 06-07-2021, 12:11 PM
Napoleon_Tanerite
Pro

Originally Posted by helga203

I think i gave up after the 5th bottle of techron.
That's why I advise people to not even waste their time on techron. If the sensors don't already look like that they're well on their way to looking that way. 20+ years old means it's time to replace them anyway.

Quick Reply: c5 empty fuel guauge - other question (can I drive if it drops/shows 'empty'?)