C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine rebuild, clutch swap... odd vibration

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2023, 12:48 PM
spfautsch
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by 95BlueBomber
I took the flywheel and pressure plate back to be re-balanced. He said it was only 4 ounces out, then I looked and it was clocked differently than the balance marks on the pressure plate. He said that it shouldnt matter but there are balance weights on the pressure plate and it was balanced as an assembly at Mcleod so I would think that would change it.
First off, 4 ounces is a massive imbalance. 4 grams is also significant. Which is it? If you heard the words "only" and plural "ounces" in the same sentence regarding something in / out of balance, something was mis-communicated.

Then in your initial post...

but I spoke to Mcleod and they are saying they balance the clutch assembly and flywheel but not them together as a unit.
Then you said you had the clutch out at a machine shop for a balance. I assume this means both the flywheel and PP? They would surely have made it clear that the clocking of the pressure plate was critical.
Old 06-12-2023, 01:27 PM
95BlueBomber
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry it is grams. Yes this time he clocked it in a different position. I am really hoping this fixes my issue
Old 06-12-2023, 02:45 PM
spfautsch
Racer

So just in case it doesn't, are you / have you been involved in any of the wrench work, or just writing the checks? Not that there's anything wrong with paying a pro, but trying to get a full picture. Sometimes the pros care more about seeing your taillights go over the horizon than doing the job correctly.

Also, are you implying you took it to the same place to check balance a second time?

A few other things to consider - have you checked the runout in the part of the prop shaft that engages the pilot bearing / friction disk? What kind of pilot bushing / bearing are you running, and what does the tip of the prop shaft look like?
The following users liked this post:
Bill Curlee (06-15-2023)
Old 06-15-2023, 09:34 AM
95BlueBomber
Melting Slicks

Yes I do all my wrench work. I have built this car multiple times.
I took it back to the only machine shop in my area that can do it.
I am going to check the prop shaft runout before reinstalling. Do you have a good setup method to do so? I am guessing I need to make some metal backet to hold my gauge for the test.
Old 06-15-2023, 10:30 AM
spfautsch
Racer

I took it back to the only machine shop in my area that can do it.
Did they give you an imbalance # the first time? Just curious if it's better, worse, etc. 4 grams isn't a lot depending on the total weight of the flywheel + pp assembly, but then Kubs mentioned that 2.5 grams made a difference for him. Generally speaking most balance machines become a lot less sensitive / accurate below 1/4 oz or 7 grams but it's relative to the mass that's being spun.

Sorry, no pointers on checking runout. I've done it on my C4's ZF but haven't had the driveline out of my C5 yet. The only reason I'm thinking bent prop shaft is because you say it smooths out above 2500 rpm. Generally a reciprocating assy imbalance will only get more pronounced with rpm.
Old 06-15-2023, 03:58 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

spfautsch Has some SOUND ADVICE!

I strongly recommend separating the prop shaft from the TT Housing and checking the rubber couplers and the bearings separately.

RECOMMENDATION: Install the Flywheel/Pressure Plate on the engine and spin it up before you reinstall the bell housing/Drivetrain.
I did that on my 02 ZO6 to insure that there were NOT any strange vibrations after my SPEC Twin Disk Clutch install. Worked like a champ.
NO VIBRATIONS on the ZO6
Old 06-15-2023, 07:15 PM
95BlueBomber
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
spfautsch Has some SOUND ADVICE!

I strongly recommend separating the prop shaft from the TT Housing and checking the rubber couplers and the bearings separately.

RECOMMENDATION: Install the Flywheel/Pressure Plate on the engine and spin it up before you reinstall the bell housing/Drivetrain.
I did that on my 02 ZO6 to insure that there were NOT any strange vibrations after my SPEC Twin Disk Clutch install. Worked like a champ.
NO VIBRATIONS on the ZO6
Yes he really has me thinking now. I switched to solid couplers too, both front and rear are solid. I need to check the runout on it. It is more pronounced with the clutch out (Driveshaft Spinning) then when you push in the clutch it eases up because its just the wobble of the shaft inside the pilot. I am going to check that runout and will report back!
Old 06-15-2023, 09:26 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

IF,, you find out that the vibrations are being caused by prop shaft issues, I strongly recommend replacing the pilot bearing or at least carefully examining it for wear/damage.
Hook the input shaft to a big drill motor and spin it as is and see if it spins smooth/quiet and vibration free.
Old 07-07-2023, 05:02 PM
95BlueBomber
Melting Slicks

Verdict is in! .030 runout on the torque tube. I went solid front and rear couplers. I am switching to poly from DSS in the front and leaving my solid in the rear and see what I get on my runout then. Hopefully the coupler comes in and I can report back middle of next week with good news!
Old 07-23-2023, 09:42 AM
95BlueBomber
Melting Slicks

Well sorry to report that didn't fix the issue. The more I read the more I am starting to think its just the nature of the beast with this RXT clutch. I have read multiple forum posts of people having the same vibration I am having and swapping clutches fixes it. I am going to pull the trans one more time and remove the clutch and start the car to see if the vibration is there to know 100%.

Quick Reply: Engine rebuild, clutch swap... odd vibration