C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AutoMeter Cobalt voltmeter gauge to AC fuse?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2020, 08:44 PM
Astrodokk
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default AutoMeter Cobalt voltmeter gauge to AC fuse?

For all you electrical gurus out there, I am not one for sure. I have an A pillar with two gauges. One is Fuel/Air and the other is Volts. I was not sure why someone would want an extra Volt gauge on the pillar, so I took the pillar apart and followed the wires.

Ultimately I found that the Voltmeter red wire goes to the AC 10a fuse in the fuse box under the hood, #24.

I pulled the fuse and it's intact. I haven't used AC yet, but I've noticed when driving that the meter doesn't register anything, although it does light up.

Why would someone wire it that way? I'm guessing that the PO wanted to see the voltage while using AC? But why? The AC shouldn't causes any detriment when in use I would think.

Any ideas? I will drive it tomorrow and turn on the AC and see if it registers anything, but I'm curious about this mystery to me.
Old 11-20-2020, 07:25 AM
oharal
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 219 Posts

Sounds pretty whack to me! From my experience there is no weirder person with worse ideas about how to do anything than the person who sells you a car or house LOL
Old 11-22-2020, 02:50 PM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Received 1,217 Likes on 777 Posts

From cars that I have seen on this forum, the gauges on the pillar usually are for those that have a supercharger/nitro system. Maybe PO wanted to make people think the car had one.
Old 11-22-2020, 03:57 PM
Astrodokk
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Ok, I didn't know supercharged cars use those, but I think the PO wasn't that type of person to pretend things. The other gauge is a fuel/air mixture gauge. That is pretty generic I would think.

I posted this in General as well, since I didn't get any responses here in tech early on, but it got closed since I started it here. I think from now on I will post new threads in general since it gets read more, and it can be moved if needed.

In that section, PlanoLeMans (thank you Plano, I couldn't respond after the thread got locked), said "Sounds like you are describing the meter is connected across the fuse. If your fuse is intact, then you will read zero volts. You can think of it like putting the meter across a perfect conductor. If you fuse is blown, then it will be just like across your battery when you energized the ac circuit, unless you have a bad ground."

So my question is, why would someone wire it like that? Would it be to know if the AC fuse blows, in which case the meter would register 12V? My AC works fine, so I will be disconnecting it from the meter and wiring the meter to a switched fuse. It'll be redundant, so I will be searching for a different gauge in that pod. I think having an oil pressure light is valuable as a visual if the pressure drops. I lost an engine in my C2 during my racing days because I didn't keep an eye on the dash gauge way back when.

Thanks to those that replied and anyone else who can pipe in with explanations.

Get notified of new replies

To AutoMeter Cobalt voltmeter gauge to AC fuse?

Quick Reply: AutoMeter Cobalt voltmeter gauge to AC fuse?