C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pressure gauge pegged at 80, Pressue on DIC is 129 lbs? and a wreck:(

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2002, 07:50 PM
jlamay
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pressure gauge pegged at 80, Pressue on DIC is 129 lbs? and a wreck:(

Anybody know what would cause this. I also got a 0300 code and a check engine light. While pulling over to check it out, I was in an accident too. We sideswiped each other so there is some damage to my passanger door and front qtr. All in all, a crappy day :mad
Old 12-05-2002, 09:53 PM
jlamay
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Oil Pressure gauge pegged at 80, Pressue on DIC is 129 lbs? and a wreck:( (jlamay)

ttt
Hello, is anyone out there? I'm kinda worried about this.
Old 12-05-2002, 10:00 PM
Viprklr
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Oil Pressure gauge pegged at 80, Pressue on DIC is 129 lbs? and a wreck:( (jlamay)

Sorry to hear about your accident. :mad :cuss Seems like a sensor issue to me. Maybe others will chime in. Good luck with the repairs. :cheers:
Old 12-06-2002, 04:08 AM
Wicked C5
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04

Jeff sorry to hear about your accident.

I am unsure what would cause your oil pressure problem. But p0300 is a mis fire code. I think your car is out of tune or there was a problem when you put the Ls6 intake on. Let me know if you want to borrow my service manules. They are for a 97 but I am sure they coudl dianose your problem.
Old 12-06-2002, 04:12 AM
jlamay
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Oil Pressure gauge pegged at 80, Pressue on DIC is 129 lbs? and a wreck:( (Wicked C5)

Jeff sorry to hear about your accident.

I am unsure what would cause your oil pressure problem. But p0300 is a mis fire code. I think your car is out of tune or there was a problem when you put the Ls6 intake on. Let me know if you want to borrow my service manules. They are for a 97 but I am sure they coudl dianose your problem.
After doing some searches, It looks like it is an oil sending unit, which happens to reside, you guessed it, under the intake manifold. Good news is that its only a $35 part, and I am getting pretty good at taking the manifold off :D

The accident wasn't too bad. Mostly damage to the door and qtr panel, shiold be repairable. The car I hit wasn't badly damaged, but she clipped a parked c230 just right, and just about tore the front bumper off. The wierd thing is I was on the way home from childrens hospital in Oakland with my daughter, who was visiting a friend in icu who was hurt in a car accident, so my daughter was freaked out big time. Needless to say it drew a big crowd on Telegraph ave :lol:

[Modified by jlamay, 3:17 AM 12/6/2002]
Old 12-06-2002, 08:28 PM
hot4u
Pro

I got the same problem with the oil ppressure guage. I was in atlanta started the car up and notice the guage was peg at 80 and was reading 129 psi, but car was running fine. Drove back to MD. hadn't been to go the dealer yet because of the snow. I think its a sensor problem. might be from the cold weather it was below frezzing in atlanta when I was there over the holiday weekend. first time the car has sat outside in cold weather.
Old 12-06-2002, 09:24 PM
duosy
Instructor

Seems this is a common problem but not fatal. Have been running about 100K with this condition with no harm. I just know that if I let a dealer tear into my engine that more problems would occur and big $$$.
Old 12-07-2002, 01:31 AM
los7883
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Oil Pressure gauge pegged at 80, Pressue on DIC is 129 lbs? and a wreck:( (duosy)

Same problem I had...my oil pressure sending unit turned out to be bad...had it replaced and everything is fine now. I drove it like that for about two months before I fixed it. As long as your oil temps aren't crazy high and you open the oil cap and everything seems to be flowing ok, then you shouldn't worry about it too much. The lines aren't built to handle that much pressure if it was in fact 130 psi, if the pressure was that high you'd know it. If it's not the sending unit then it's the sensor itself. Good Luck...hope this helps.
Old 12-07-2002, 02:05 AM
towercontroller
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Oil Pressure gauge pegged at 80, Pressue on DIC is 129 lbs? and a wreck:( (los7883)

I have the exact same problem on my 99 coupe. I havent fixed it yet and was wondering if it is possible to do in a day in my garage. Anyone try?
Old 12-08-2002, 01:35 AM
HIGHRPM
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had the same problem on my '99...dealer replaced the sending unit...OK since.
Old 12-08-2002, 03:04 AM
jlamay
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Oil Pressure gauge pegged at 80, Pressue on DIC is 129 lbs? and a wreck:( (towercontroller)

It's under the intake manifold, which isn't too hard to get off. There are some directions on LS1,com, and it should take you abut 2-4 hours. It's also a good time to change plugs and wires. Just be careful to reconnect the ac vacuum hose in back of the manifold, it's a trick little sucker.
Old 12-08-2002, 03:11 AM
4DCYKEY
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about your accident...it is beginning to seem like there is an epidemic of accidents...makes me want to keep mine in the garage. I'm glad that you, your daughter and the other person are all OK.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Pressure gauge pegged at 80, Pressue on DIC is 129 lbs? and a wreck:(

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure gauge pegged at 80, Pressue on DIC is 129 lbs? and a wreck:(