C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Instrument cluster smoking

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2020, 01:21 AM
Travis Armstrong
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Instrument cluster smoking

The oil pressure sensor didnt work when my dad bought his 50th edition. The gauge stayed at 80 psi. I replaced the sensor and started the car. The gauge now reads correctly (little over 40psi) but the instrument cluster started to pour out smoke smelling of electrical burn. What could have happened? I'm about to pull the instrument cluster out, but what should I look for?
Old 09-12-2020, 05:13 AM
oelarse
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 266 Likes on 202 Posts

My first thought is that the 5volt reference voltage maybe some how is partly grounded in the new sensor or sensorplug causing excessive currentdraw from the cluster .

I would have disconnected the new sensor asap . Disconnected the HUD plug and move the cluster like this .
You can then measure the reference voltage , signal volt to the sensor in the cluster plug .

But I may also replace the " new" sensor with another new one because maybe a internal fault in sensor is causing the smoke .

Old 09-13-2020, 08:34 AM
tentuna
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

First do you have an ohm meter and know how to read it, unplug the sensor and see if it's shorted, second check the two wire cable to see if it's shorted. Either way you will have to remove the cluster and see what damage has been done. If smoke came pouring out that typically means burnt wires or the IPC cards (hopefully not). There are many post on how to pull the IPC on the forum so that should not be a problem. Once you have done that just post results.
Old 09-14-2020, 03:17 AM
Travis Armstrong
Advanced

Pulled the dash pad. The smoke definitely came from the HUD. I pulled the HUD out and it smells horribly of burning electrical. The IPC seems to function as it did before and doesnt have a burned smell to it. Could it have been a coincidence?
Old 09-14-2020, 03:29 AM
Travis Armstrong
Advanced

Originally Posted by oelarse

I would have disconnected the new sensor asap . Disconnected the HUD plug and move the cluster like this .
You can then measure the reference voltage , signal volt to the sensor in the cluster plug .

According to this diagram the reference voltage and signal wire for the sensor all return to the PCM. And the PCM uses a communication protocol known as DATALINK to send data to the IPC. So how could I test the sensor from the IPC plug?
Old 09-14-2020, 04:19 AM
oelarse
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Sorry . My mind was at the wrong place appearantly .(must be the age )

You are correct and the oil sender signal goes straight to the PCM and from the PCM on a serial link to the cluster .
As you suggest It seems to be a coincidence since there is no electrical connection between the sender and the cluster ( even if I said so in a weak moment )

Old 09-14-2020, 05:22 AM
Travis Armstrong
Advanced

No worries. Thanks for the valuable input. That diagram did help ease my fear that I caused some damage. Hope to hear from you again, as this car has all kinds of problems....harmonic balancer should be fun.
Old 09-14-2020, 05:46 AM
oelarse
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Good to hear

I did replace my balancer three years ago and it was not so difficult to carry out ( my first C5 balancer replacement)
If it is of any interresst , here is a link of my work written in the Norwegian Corvetteforum .
A lot of photoes showing the way I did it . If you right click on your mouse when using the Chrome browser you can translate the Norwegian text and hopefully get some use of the text in addition to the photoes .

regards from Norway
The following users liked this post:
leadfoot4 (09-15-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 11:07 AM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by Travis Armstrong
Pulled the dash pad. The smoke definitely came from the HUD. I pulled the HUD out and it smells horribly of burning electrical. The IPC seems to function as it did before and doesnt have a burned smell to it. Could it have been a coincidence?
Everything points to a coincidence. I wouldn't touch the IPC or the oil pressure sender. It seems they are fine. Concentrate on the HUD and let us know what you find.

Get notified of new replies

To Instrument cluster smoking

Quick Reply: Instrument cluster smoking