C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

this is a how to get rid of clutch the dreaded Clutch / flywheel imbalance problems.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2020, 09:40 PM
ASRoff
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Default this is a how to get rid of clutch the dreaded Clutch / flywheel imbalance problems.

Ok this one is going to be long guys... but stay with me..... I have been battling clutch imbalance... I say clutch imbalance because with the clutch out and just the flywheel installed there is no imbalance.... so after 76,000 miles my clutch in my 2002 Z06 decided to let go... I replaced it with a good aftermarket clutch.. (I'm not going to tell you which it is yet because I'm still trying to get this sorted out with them.)

A little about me... I'm a professional aircraft mechanic. I have been turning wrenches on aircraft for 26 years... the last 14 I have been working for General Electric building...... green build commercial aircraft engines. I started on GE90 then went to GEnx then CFM56 and now I build the new LEAP engines.... I'm a "rotor builder" which means I build up … machine and balance the compressor / Turbine assembly's…. so I have a little experience in balance... I've been on several programs and have used both Hoffman and Schenck balancers.

so, I rebuilt to torque tube.... I used DSS poly couplers... and checked runout. I had the stock flywheel tuned. (and I also indexed the crank to the flywheel when I removed it) I installed the got everything back together and went for a test drive... I got some serious vibration at 2300 then again between 3-4,000 rpm. I knew it had to be engine related because it didn't matter if the clutch was engaged or not... the vibe was still there... so, back apart it came... I double checked my marks on the flywheel and took care to ensure that noting was misaligned with the clutch component's (this is a twin disc with a floater) everything lined up... I double checked my alignment pins... both still there... I then took the clutch off and ran the car...… no vibe...… this gets me to tonight..

I acquired a EVA2 electronic Vibration analyzer off of Ebay. I put the car in the air... pulled the exhaust, and the inspection cover.... I then put the exhaust back up so as not to kill my hearing.. LOL I then took a sharpie and marked 12 "clock" positions on the flywheel every 14 teeth... had the wife-person fire up the car and hold it at its worst magnitude with is about 2300 rpm... I then used the strobe feature on the EVA2 with the timing light and found the light angle at the 8' o'clock position since there was no bolts at that angle I added weight in the form of extra washers at 7 and 9... 3 washers in and its now about 85% gone... I plan to take the washers into work and weigh them …then I'm going to vector them to get the exact imbalance weight. now I just have to decide if I want to just balance this myself or send it back to the manufacturer...

anyways I just thought you guys might find my trouble shooting helpful.
Old 07-12-2020, 10:39 AM
helga203
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by ASRoff
Ok this one is going to be long guys... but stay with me..... I have been battling clutch imbalance... I say clutch imbalance because with the clutch out and just the flywheel installed there is no imbalance.... so after 76,000 miles my clutch in my 2002 Z06 decided to let go... I replaced it with a good aftermarket clutch.. (I'm not going to tell you which it is yet because I'm still trying to get this sorted out with them.)

A little about me... I'm a professional aircraft mechanic. I have been turning wrenches on aircraft for 26 years... the last 14 I have been working for General Electric building...... green build commercial aircraft engines. I started on GE90 then went to GEnx then CFM56 and now I build the new LEAP engines.... I'm a "rotor builder" which means I build up … machine and balance the compressor / Turbine assembly's…. so I have a little experience in balance... I've been on several programs and have used both Hoffman and Schenck balancers.

so, I rebuilt to torque tube.... I used DSS poly couplers... and checked runout. I had the stock flywheel tuned. (and I also indexed the crank to the flywheel when I removed it) I installed the got everything back together and went for a test drive... I got some serious vibration at 2300 then again between 3-4,000 rpm. I knew it had to be engine related because it didn't matter if the clutch was engaged or not... the vibe was still there... so, back apart it came... I double checked my marks on the flywheel and took care to ensure that noting was misaligned with the clutch component's (this is a twin disc with a floater) everything lined up... I double checked my alignment pins... both still there... I then took the clutch off and ran the car...… no vibe...… this gets me to tonight..

I acquired a EVA2 electronic Vibration analyzer off of Ebay. I put the car in the air... pulled the exhaust, and the inspection cover.... I then put the exhaust back up so as not to kill my hearing.. LOL I then took a sharpie and marked 12 "clock" positions on the flywheel every 14 teeth... had the wife-person fire up the car and hold it at its worst magnitude with is about 2300 rpm... I then used the strobe feature on the EVA2 with the timing light and found the light angle at the 8' o'clock position since there was no bolts at that angle I added weight in the form of extra washers at 7 and 9... 3 washers in and its now about 85% gone... I plan to take the washers into work and weigh them …then I'm going to vector them to get the exact imbalance weight. now I just have to decide if I want to just balance this myself or send it back to the manufacturer...

anyways I just thought you guys might find my trouble shooting helpful.
My god what a headache. Since being in the c5 world, majority don't have this problem but i'm sorry you got the bad luck. From my experience if you buy flywheel and clutch together it minimizes this problem significantly. Hope you figure it out. Something straightforward turned to ****. But i feel you.
Old 07-12-2020, 02:19 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by helga203
My god what a headache. Since being in the c5 world, majority don't have this problem but i'm sorry you got the bad luck. From my experience if you buy flywheel and clutch together it minimizes this problem significantly. Hope you figure it out. Something straightforward turned to ****. But i feel you.
I buy aftermarket clutches with the flywheel pre balanced from factory love double clutches with aluminum flywheels!
Old 07-12-2020, 02:57 PM
helga203
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by rustyguns
I buy aftermarket clutches with the flywheel pre balanced from factory love double clutches with aluminum flywheels!
Me to, bit I didn't want to say it for jenks purposes. Lol

Get notified of new replies

To this is a how to get rid of clutch the dreaded Clutch / flywheel imbalance problems.

Quick Reply: this is a how to get rid of clutch the dreaded Clutch / flywheel imbalance problems.