C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

@004 Coupe Automatic - Transmission Shift Linkage Connection

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2020, 09:53 PM
Vol95
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default @004 Coupe Automatic - Transmission Shift Linkage Connection

Hello Everyone:

I submitted a prior thread that offered back in responses that my automatic transmission shift linkage cable had become disconnected. I was later able to confirm this by removal of the dashboard plate, the counsel, and the shifter. Indeed, in the plastic bushing had broken and the cable had become disconnected at the shifter. This on my 2004 coupe, 139000 miles, otherwise in excellent condition. At this time, I have scheduled service, which I do annually anyway, at the Buy a Vette service center here in metro Atlanta. This issue is this time, the Vette will need to be towed from my residence to there. A bummer, but well, as they sometimes say, that is life.

I have not yet completely reinstalled the dashboard, the console, and the shifter. I will do that before the tow and service scheduled in 2 weeks time. My ask is this, please. When I did remove, carefully, the shifter, I found the linkage cable very low and to the rear of the now open area. While I believe that I could reinstall the new bushing, but with the position of the cable there is no room available to reconnect the cable again to the shifter, My ask then, is there any method to move the cable forward in order to provide enough room to perform the reconnection with my very long needle nose pilars. Note, at this time, I have no means to lift the Vette. It is in my garage in parked status.

Thank you for taking the time to review my post.

Old 05-29-2020, 07:29 AM
tbrowne
Pro

Received 100 Likes on 83 Posts

The cable can be moved manually by shifting the transmission lever at the trans in the rear of the car. You have to jack up the rear end, reach under and shift the linkage by rotating the lever. The cable moves back and forth depending on which detent the lever is in. It moves easily by hand.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:27 AM
Fast one
Safety Car

Received 348 Likes on 220 Posts

The cable end can be pushed forward from the shifter side, either by hand or using something that will fit into the ball end. Do not lift the cable end much or the plastic surround on it will crack and then the whole cable will need to be replaced. It's possible to drive the car for days without the shifter but it might take a few tries to select the right gear if the cable jumps too far in either direction since there is a gate with detents on the transmission side.

Last edited by Fast one; 05-29-2020 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-29-2020, 11:30 AM
dogboy
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the cheap plastic auto shift connector break on my 2000 a few years ago. I rolled into the garage in gear & like said before, you can manually move the shift lever on the tranny by hand into neutral. I jacked car up as high as I could & also removed the shifter area panels from inside cockpit to get a visual & see how tight things are down there. I got a new piece ordered & was able to squeeze my hand into the space along with needle nose pliers & connect it from under the car, on my back, PIA but doable.
Old 05-30-2020, 11:17 AM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by Vol95
...My ask then, is there any method to move the cable forward in order to provide enough room to perform the reconnection with my very long needle nose pliers. Note, at this time, I have no means to lift the Vette. It is in my garage in parked status...
As mentioned above, the cable can be pulled forward (the equivalent of going from P to D, for example). Just be careful and try not to flex it too much. You could also obtain the same results by moving the selector lever at the transmission (where the other end of the cable is attached).

You mentioned the car is in the garage and you have no means to lift it, but if you can manage to slide a jack under the left rear jacking point, or under the rear crossmember, you only need to lift it a little: just enough to reach the point where the cable is attached to the transmission. Take a look at the diagram below to have a better idea.

NOTE: as I mentioned in my reply to you in your other thread (click here for details), long Channel-Lock pliers and a little dielectric grease will make this much easier. Needle nose pliers won't be of much help because they can't be adjusted to increase the pivot point distance between its jaws.

I would strongly suggest to replace both bushings, even though only 1 failed at this point. The one at the transmission end will probably go belly-up soon and could leave you stranded away from home.

Last edited by GCG; 05-30-2020 at 11:27 AM.
Old 05-30-2020, 12:50 PM
kingfurook
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 18 Posts

Broke my shift cable about 20 miles from home and shut the car off. Tow truck refused to tow it, so using his jack I lifted the rear, had my buddy hold down the brakes, I manually put it in P, had him start it, then I by hand put it in drive. Hopped in the driver seat and drove it home. A little sketchy I know.
Not too bad of a repair, aside from the exhaust bolts and the 40 or so tunnel plate ones.
Old 05-30-2020, 03:02 PM
dogboy
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Get notified of new replies

To @004 Coupe Automatic - Transmission Shift Linkage Connection

Quick Reply: @004 Coupe Automatic - Transmission Shift Linkage Connection