C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why can't we install a air bleeding valve on the coolant system?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2002, 02:55 PM
C5Noir
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Why can't we install a air bleeding valve on the coolant system?

I have worked on some buddies cars' (no C5s or LS1s) before and I noticed that some of them have bleeder valves on their coolant systems so you can bleed the air out by opening the valve with a flat head screwdriver unti the coolant flows out of it then you close the valve, voila, done. (I believe this was on an 89 Grand PRix) Why can't we implement something like this on our cars? It makes bleeding the coolant a whole heck of a lot easier!
Old 11-22-2002, 03:29 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Default Re: Why can't we install a air bleeding valve on the coolant system? (C5Noir)

Cool idea, Levi. I was wondering about a better way to burp the air the last few weeks when I was refilling my coolant system. It would sure make it easier. :cheers: :thumbs:
Old 11-22-2002, 03:42 PM
monkeytorture
Heel & Toe

Default Re: Why can't we install a air bleeding valve on the coolant system? (C5Noir)

i know that they have them(2 of them) on lt-1 f-bodies & i thought i had seen them on a lt-1 c4 but i'm not positive
Old 11-22-2002, 03:44 PM
C5Noir
Safety Car

Default Re: Why can't we install a air bleeding valve on the coolant system? (monkeytorture)

Check this out! http://www.viperclub.org/instructions/bleeders.html
I can make this for my C5, EASY!
Old 11-22-2002, 03:49 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

:cheers: :thumbs:

Answered your own question (and mine). :p:

Old 11-22-2002, 03:51 PM
C5Noir
Safety Car

Default Re: Why can't we install a air bleeding valve on the coolant system? (Patches)

I think I'm gonna drill and tap an 1/8 NPT in the thermostat itself and use it that way. No cut hoses, etc ;) Should be pretty pimpy ! :)
Old 11-22-2002, 11:32 PM
chuckster
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Levi, you want that bleeder at the highest point in the coolant path...remember the air will always want to stay up high... :cheers:
Old 11-23-2002, 02:12 PM
Oldvetter
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Re: Why can't we install a air bleeding valve on the coolant system? (chuckster)

If you follow the shop manual process, you don't need a bleeder valve. After draining , fill to base of overflow tank cap, run engine at idle for one minute, install cap, alternate reving engine to 3,000 for 30 seconds or until temperature gets to 210 F. Shut off engine, remove cap, idle engine for one minute and fill to 1/2 inch above cold full mark, put on cap, alternate reving engine to 3,000 rpm and idling for 30 seconds or until engine reaches 210 F. Sut off engine, fill to 1/2 inch over cold full mark, put on top, Your done.
Old 11-23-2002, 02:14 PM
C5Noir
Safety Car

Default Re: Why can't we install a air bleeding valve on the coolant system? (Oldvetter)

Oldvetter, I have followed that procedure before and it's a PITA ;), hence my desire to simplfiy it ;)
Old 11-23-2002, 02:44 PM
RaceMe
Instructor

Noir, I don't know much about cooling systems. I do know, from tinkering with my liquid cooled dirt bike, that you bleed the air out of the radiators so that you don't bubble and make foam, which will screw up your ability to properly cool down a motor.

But for cars, why do people buy higher range pressure caps? Do they bleed the air out for the same reasons as I mentioned? :confused:
Old 11-24-2002, 06:34 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Default Re: Why can't we install a air bleeding valve on the coolant system? (RaceMe)

For the number of times you actually burp the system in a year or two why do you want to install a part that can fail and cause a major problem? I installed my DRM radiator a year and half ago and haven't touched the cooling system since.
Bill
Old 11-24-2002, 07:48 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

Since the resevoir is the highest point on the cooling system there is no need to bleed the cooling system other then running it with the cap on/off a few times. On a viper the resevoir (surge tank) is lower then the engine, they are a pain to burp..

An LT1 is reverse flow cooling, a great idea but a major pita to get the air out of - bleeder or not.

And BTW, if filling it is what is annoying you - especially if the liitle bypass check valve on the thermostat sticks or seals too well - drill a 1/16 or so hole in the thermostat, you can fill it slowly to the top and run it once to fill and you will be done.

[Modified by kp, 8:15 PM 11/24/2002]
Old 11-24-2002, 11:47 PM
nevrenuf
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS1Edit Guru
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: Why can't we install a air bleeding valve on the coolant system? (kp)

Okay, here's the easy way.. I did this on my car.........

The highest engine point is where the coolant lines exit the heads (at 4 spots). The lines converge and then pass through the throttle body and finally into the radiator.

I put a T into the line, just prior to the radiator. and installed a schrader valve there.. All it takes then it to press the valve stem in and wait for coolant.. release and put the cap on, you're done...

Total cost.. under $5..

Old 11-25-2002, 12:05 AM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

Default Re: Why can't we install a air bleeding valve on the coolant system? (nevrenuf)

If I'm in a hurry I just pull the hose off of that pipe, fill until the coolent runs out - stick the hose back on, fill it up, start it to make sure the stat opens and send the car on its way. Same thing but cost = free :cheers:

But it really isnt necessary unless you are in a huge hurry :)

BTW, direct from the GM service manual - they are pretty handy.
"The surge tank provides a coolent fill point and a central cooling system air bleed location.

The cooling system is filled through the plastic surge tank. The tank is mounted at a point higher then all the other coolent passages. This provides an air bleed for the system."

[edit] I'm not trying to tell anyone what to do - but these cars have to be the easiest I ever seen to fill, I just cant see how you can make it easier...

[Modified by kp, 1:59 AM 11/25/2002]
Old 11-25-2002, 04:22 AM
66ImpalaLT1
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Why can't we install a air bleeding valve on the coolant system? (kp)

i've had an lt1 f-body and the bleed valves are a pain in the butt.

Eric

Get notified of new replies

To Why can't we install a air bleeding valve on the coolant system?

Quick Reply: Why can't we install a air bleeding valve on the coolant system?