C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replaced fuel filter with Delco and now pump is noisey

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2020, 10:46 AM
Bubba1951
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by wcsinx
I'm sticking with my original theory. The old, gunked-up filter was slowing down his fuel pump thus making it quieter.
You could be right. If you are the OP will probably have a failed pump in the near future. They don’t like to work hard. They tend to be problematic even when filters are changed regularly.
Old 03-01-2020, 11:59 AM
vipmiller803
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by fairct
installed a new ac delco filter today and the noise is gone. seems like the previous new filter had some sort of issue 🤷🏼‍♂️
Nice work catching it. You probably saved your pump from premature failure. Likely the noise was the pump basically deadheading with just enough making it past to run the engine. It would have been cool to see live data for fuel trims, especially at WOT with that bad filter as well as a scope with an amp clamp on the pump before and after the filter change.

What prompted the replacement to start? Goes to say that if it ain't broke, don't fix it - you can do more harm than good, even with new parts.
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (03-03-2020)
Old 03-01-2020, 01:29 PM
Hoganryan40
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

More likely a faulty install.
Old 03-02-2020, 06:47 PM
RPGR90s
Pro

Received 329 Likes on 139 Posts
Default Noise

Originally Posted by fairct
1999 auto car with ~110k miles, unknown number on existing fuel filter. I replaced the filter with a new ac delco from rockauto and the car fired right up, but noticed a ton more (what I presume to be) fuel pump noise. after long drives before I would start getting a bit of a whine so I figured I should replace the filter.

lo and behold the noise is now much worse. I can't stand being in the car while it's running now. drove the car and it's running fine.

I can try putting the old filter back on, but is this just a sign that my fuel pump is on its last legs?
I had the same exact issue last fall after installing a new AC Delco fuel filter in my 2000 C5. The whine got worse and worse until I finally checked the fuel rail pressure and found it was pegging my gauge. (over 100psi). Pulled that thing out, send it back and installed a WIX filter and it's back to the way it was.
  1. Normal fuel pressure
  2. A little whine when starting, but quickly goes away

RPGR90s
ArmchairArchitect (03-03-2020)
Old 03-02-2020, 08:41 PM
Hoganryan40
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Did we ever get a resolution to this thread?
Old 03-03-2020, 09:13 AM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

So is the moral of the story to not buy AC Delco fuel filters since more than one person had issues with them? And buy an aftermarket one instead?
Old 03-03-2020, 07:11 PM
fairct
Heel & Toe

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmchairArchitect
So is the moral of the story to not buy AC Delco fuel filters since more than one person had issues with them? And buy an aftermarket one instead?
my current ac delco filter seems fine. I'll check to see if I still have a fuel pressure gauge and check the rail pressure. I didn't think to check it before or with the bad filter.

to answer an earlier question, I replaced the filter as preventative maintenance. I have no idea how old the previous filter was.
Old 03-04-2020, 07:59 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoganryan40
More likely a faulty install.

So tell us, Einstein, how you come to that conclusion? Unlike universal fuel filters, which have a simple nipple on each end, and could possibly have their inlet and outlet ends reversed, the C-5 Corvette filter has a threaded on, compression fitting on one end, and a "push clip" fitting on the other. It's virtually impossible to get it wrong..........
ArmchairArchitect (03-04-2020)
Old 03-04-2020, 09:40 AM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 379 Likes on 324 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

I am using NAPA which is a Wix filter no problems.
Old 03-04-2020, 09:40 AM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 379 Likes on 324 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
So tell us, Einstein, how you come to that conclusion? Unlike universal fuel filters, which have a simple nipple on each end, and could possibly have their inlet and outlet ends reversed, the C-5 Corvette filter has a threaded on, compression fitting on one end, and a "push clip" fitting on the other. It's virtually impossible to get it wrong..........
..and if you did fuel would be leaking telling the story.
Old 03-04-2020, 10:22 AM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

I'm detecting a common theme with this HoganRyan character. He likes to talk a lot, but usually has no ******* clue what he's talking about.
Old 03-04-2020, 11:02 AM
MetalMan2
Melting Slicks

Received 1,021 Likes on 647 Posts

Been following this thread, as I recently installed a new AC Delco fuel filter as well. At the same time I also replaced the H-pipe with a Borla X-pipe. But the car developed a little noise after installing these items, which I attributed to the X-pipe... but maybe it's the filter! I think it's worthwhile looking into a replacement option, though admittedly I'm not keen on just throwing parts at it. At the moment I don't have a way to measure rail pressure. Perhaps I can try a $20 Duralast/Autozone filter just for a point of comparison.

Last edited by MetalMan2; 03-04-2020 at 11:06 AM.
Old 03-04-2020, 11:30 AM
helga203
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 373 Posts

I'm sorry guys but maybe using a drill
Old 03-04-2020, 11:59 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by 93Polo
..and if you did fuel would be leaking telling the story.

HOWEVER, let me say this about that....I replaced the filter on my 2001, when it was 4-5 years old, just as a general maintenance thing. A few years later, I began to smell gas, but never found any visible leaks. Long story short, the seal on the output side of the filter was indeed dripping. The reason for no evidence, is that the filter is located directly above the LH exhaust pipe. The slight dripping was being vaporized by the hot pipe. Of course, I replaced that filter, ASAP. I'm thinking that maybe the ethanol content of current gasolines may have attacked the rubber o-ring that seals the output side.

Originally Posted by wcsinx
I'm detecting a common theme with this HoganRyan character. He likes to talk a lot, but usually has no ******* clue what he's talking about.
I've detected that, too..........

Quick Reply: replaced fuel filter with Delco and now pump is noisey