C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FYI, Squealing belt problem finally resolved after three trips to dealer.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2002, 10:50 AM
cmacleod
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FYI, Squealing belt problem finally resolved after three trips to dealer.

FYI,

My car has been in the shop three times since the ring job they did. First they replaced the belt tensioner and then on the next trip they replaced the belt and finally on the third trip they figured out the power steering pump pulley was not lined up correct. It was about 1/8 inch off causing the car to squeal. (Not all the time) They had to destroy the Power steering pump to get the pulley off. They replaced the power steering pump / Pulley with a new one and the squealing went away.

I hope this helps. I know others are battling the same problem.

Sorry I should have posted this under general.

:mad

[Modified by cmacleod, 9:53 AM 11/14/2002]
Old 11-14-2002, 06:39 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

Default Re: FYI, Squealing belt problem finally resolved after three trips to dealer. (cmacleod)

I recently replaced the tensioner, idler pulley and belt (3rd one in 2000 miles) - worked for exactly 800 miles and now its sqeaking again. I'm just going to turn up the radio until the car warms up from now on :)
Old 11-14-2002, 11:58 PM
cmacleod
Instructor

Default Re: FYI, Squealing belt problem finally resolved after three trips to dealer. (kp)

I did they same thing for a while but I got so frustrated with the squealing that I just had to get it fixed. Nevertheless, after awhile you just get tired of the whole thing. :cuss

I guess we will see how long it takes to start again.

Old 11-15-2002, 02:29 PM
1999 White C5 Coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: FYI, Squealing belt problem finally resolved after three trips to dealer. (cmacleod)

cmacleod,

Don't you just love the Mr. Goodwrench service??????

Old 11-15-2002, 02:34 PM
SoCal C5
Drifting

Default Re: FYI, Squealing belt problem finally resolved after three trips to dealer. (kp)

I recently replaced the tensioner, idler pulley and belt (3rd one in 2000 miles) - worked for exactly 800 miles and now its sqeaking again. I'm just going to turn up the radio until the car warms up from now on :)
I posted this suggestion once before but in case you did not see it I'll restate it here. You might want to consider trying a shorter belt to eliminate your squeeking problem. To accomadate the shorter belt the spring loaded tensioner must be twisted further, as such, the belt tension is increased and you get less squeeking. This woked on my wife's Suburban (5 mm shorter) and an LS1 Trams Am I know of (10 or 15 mm shorter, I am not sure which). I hope that helps.

Get notified of new replies

To FYI, Squealing belt problem finally resolved after three trips to dealer.

Quick Reply: FYI, Squealing belt problem finally resolved after three trips to dealer.