C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Seats Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2002, 06:51 AM
TWC5
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Seats Anyone?

:)
There are many posts here about people gaining mad HPs from mod to mod, which is awesome! But before I go nuts on power upgrades, I want to invest a little in snug bucket seats. The stock ones don't really cut it for me when I'm doing road courses; my rearend slide around too much. :D

Does anyone have aftermarket seats? I'm looking at OMP and Sparco ones right now, simply because the shop closest to me carries them.

Questions I have are:

-how hard is it to remove the stock sports seats?

-if the stock sport seats are taken out, what would happen to the three "memory" settings when I select them to change mirror positions (specifically, the wiring part)?

-can I use existing rails or do I have to buy a new set and drill into the car?

Thanks in advance! :)
Old 11-18-2002, 08:00 PM
TWC5
Advanced

Default Re: Aftermarket Seats Anyone? (TWC5)

ttt
Old 11-18-2002, 09:52 PM
Lashtal
Le Mans Master

I believe that there is a set of Custom Sport seats made by two supporting Vendors on this forum.

Ken King from Vette Essentials is one that will customize a set for you. He does Top Grade work.

The other I cannot recall right now.

:cheers:
Old 11-19-2002, 07:40 AM
stevenll
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

-how hard is it to remove the stock sports seats?
This is easy to do. It's just 4 nuts. You have to remove the plastic cover from the front of the front nuts. Grab the center protrusion with a pair of vice grips and pull to release the pin.

-if the stock sport seats are taken out, what would happen to the three "memory" settings when I select them to change mirror positions (specifically, the wiring part)?
Don't know. If the harness requires a connection for this feature to work, you can probably find a way to fool the computer.

-can I use existing rails or do I have to buy a new set and drill into the car?
The rails are part of the seat, not the frame. I think you'd be better off getting the rails with the seat. Since you're doing courses, I wouldn't mess with trying to attach rails myself. I'd want the safety of factory attached rails.

Before you replace the seat, you might consider adding a sticky seat cover to your sport seats. The wet Okoley(sp) neoprene cover might just solve your problem. I don't like the slick hot/cold leather so I put sheepskins on mine. But I think neoprene would be better for your application.

Old 11-19-2002, 10:50 AM
MilYellow02
Team Owner

St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Go to http://www.vetteessentials.com :yesnod:
Old 11-19-2002, 11:02 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Evo2's by Sparco will fit on Hardbar rails but they don't move without unbolting. You can mount them on the factory rails but if you are 6 feet tall you won't fit. Remember you need a helmet too.
Old 11-19-2002, 12:10 PM
till
Instructor

Hi, I have the Sparco Evo in my car, and am quite happy with it. It is wide enough for me, I am 6"4 and 186 pound, so I don't know if zou need the Evo II.
I bought my car with this seat, so I don't know all the details. The seats are mounted on rails which allow you to slide them back and forth. I think the rails are Recaro and are not the original ones.
The memory lights keep blinking for 10-20 seconds after start-up, probably because it can't find the seats. The mirrors are adjusted correctly.
Old 11-19-2002, 12:11 PM
RCswish
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Aftermarket Seats Anyone? (John Shiels)

There are clearance issues with Racing seats in C5's. The easy setup is Sparco EVO, EVO2, or EVO Rev and custom brackets from Hardbar who is a supporting vendor. These brackets are not adjustable though.

I just discovered that Momo makes a custom SLIDING bracket for C5's :mad wish I would have know before I got my custom stationary brackets made. Momo also has seats that will fit the C5. :yesnod:
Old 11-19-2002, 12:37 PM
NoMercy
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Aftermarket Seats Anyone? (RCswish)

I have Caravaggio seats in my car. You can see some more pics in the link below my sig. :cheers:
Old 11-19-2002, 01:36 PM
C5Noir
Safety Car

RC, what Momo models will fit and how do we get these brackets?
Old 11-19-2002, 05:54 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Have a link to sliding bracket and cost please? Thanks
Old 11-19-2002, 10:41 PM
RCswish
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Aftermarket Seats Anyone? (John Shiels)

Im going down to the shop tonight that I saw the momo brackets I see if I can get more info. The damn brackets looked like F-body sliding brackets with provisions for C5 bolts and it molded around the AH/TC box on the passenger side. I looked on Momo's site and couldnt find them. :mad I'll see what I can dig up tonight
Old 11-20-2002, 12:45 AM
z0sense
Drifting

I have a six-point cage and I was using Corbeau A4's...they fit great. Plus the A4's recline.

I used the factory seat rails and maintained all memory settings. The seats are a little narrow but they are designed for a 32" waist.

The Forza's would also fit.....they are larger (for bigger people)

No install issues, memory retained, awesome fit and feel.......my choice for aftermarket seats (BTW $600 for the pair)
Old 11-20-2002, 08:36 AM
cgh1
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Re: Aftermarket Seats Anyone? (z0sense)

Z0Sense - On the Corbeau A4's, do they have a place cut out for the sub belt in the seat cushion? This sounds like a perfect option for me as I am small and on a small budget!

RC Please definitely let us know what you find out. While I like the Sparco seats, they do seem a little pricey after the rails and all, so I'm looking for alternatives while I save my $.

Thanks all!
Old 11-20-2002, 10:52 AM
johnnyC5
Burning Brakes

one word....

CARAVAGGIO

i believe he is coming out with a leather "sparco" race seat.....
keep an eye out for an upcoming post by him.

as for me, I'm putting in MOMOs Street Racer model. The MOMO universal slider bracket does not fit for C5s. I'm mounting mine on stock seat rails with power slider. My FRC never had power seats, so this should be better.

Gary at Hardbar has stationary aluminum brackets for Sparco AND MOMO.
Old 11-20-2002, 02:21 PM
RCswish
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Aftermarket Seats Anyone? (johnnyC5)

I asked the guy last night about the Momo brackets. They are C4 brackets lengthened and modified to fit the C5 and clear AH/TC box on the passenger side. :rolleyes: I guess it was too good to be true. I'm interested to see how you guys are mounting these seats to the stock brackets and still have head (and helmet) clearance :confused: Do you guys have pictures? :yesnod:
Old 11-20-2002, 10:48 PM
TWC5
Advanced

till, if you have photos can you send them to me or post up here?

RCswish, thanks for the info nonetheless. If till's rails will accommodate the EVO then probably that's the best step to take.

Z0sense, I am not familiar with that brand of seats. Do you have a weblink that I can go to?

I think EVO-II is a bit too big for me. :D I am only 5'10", 170lb... which is why I still slide around in the stock seats. I thought about seat covers from the wet-ok (sp) company, but the cover cannot let you use harnesses. What a shame.

I will ask the shop again about Momo seats. Price is a big issue too, as Momo, Recaro, Sparco, and OMP are not exactly cheap!

More questions for those in the "know"... :) THX in advance!

-What kind of harness bars do you guys use? Custom built or ones like Hardbar and others advertised on this site?

-Any issuse with these bars, and how well do they work in conjunction with your harnesses (I plan to go 5-point harness, 6 is overkill for me) ?

Please keep the information coming! I will gather more and update this post too! :)

Get notified of new replies

To Aftermarket Seats Anyone?

Old 11-20-2002, 11:35 PM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Thought I heard of everything, now it's the seats that are no good :confused:
Old 11-21-2002, 03:24 AM
z0sense
Drifting

CGH1 - No they do not have a section cut out for the crotch strap.....but I have a friend that makes a crotch strap bracket and it seems to work fine by just routing the crotch strap over the front of the seat!

TWC5 - I can't believe you haven't heard of corbeaus....I thought they were rather popular.....they are an awesome seat!
http://www.corbeau.com

Let me know if you need anything else. I wish I had pictures, but I do not...sorry guys! Go to the website to see the pics of the seats!
Old 11-21-2002, 03:32 AM
Maverick
Drifting

Momo also has seats that will fit the C5. :yesnod:
Do you have any link or information regarding this? I like to know.

Thanks

Mav

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Seats Anyone?