C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 FRC traction control

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2019, 12:39 AM
VetteLife03
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 FRC traction control

So I’ve been doing some reading and it seems everyone else’s traction control button has multiple functions. Mine only turns on or off but even in the off position the ABS is still active; I can’t even do a sitting burnout. Any ideas?
Old 10-10-2019, 11:00 AM
oharal
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 219 Posts

You can't turn off ABS with any button. I'm assuming your 99 has similar function to my 2002 but you have a different EBTCM than I do so that may be wrong to assume. If you push my button 1x that turns off both TCS and active handling. Push and hold it, turns on Competition Mode which is TCS off, AH on.
The following users liked this post:
VetteLife03 (10-10-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 11:31 AM
turabo87
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteLife03
So I’ve been doing some reading and it seems everyone else’s traction control button has multiple functions. Mine only turns on or off but even in the off position the ABS is still active; I can’t even do a sitting burnout. Any ideas?
My 99 FRC has no competitive driving/active handling. So mine only turns TCS fully on or fully off. I personally like this simplicity. Less nannies, less headaches when they get old. ABS should remain on all time. That said, you should be able to do a sitting burnout with TCS off.

Last edited by turabo87; 10-10-2019 at 11:32 AM.
VetteLife03 (10-10-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 12:45 PM
VetteLife03
Cruising

Originally Posted by turabo87
My 99 FRC has no competitive driving/active handling. So mine only turns TCS fully on or fully off. I personally like this simplicity. Less nannies, less headaches when they get old. ABS should remain on all time. That said, you should be able to do a sitting burnout with TCS off.
So when I try it’s constantly bumping in the ABS and is just real weird. I dunno. If my car only has the on/off I guess that’s all I get.
Old 10-10-2019, 02:28 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by VetteLife03

YOU ARE CONFUSING TERMS AND FUNCTIONS!
ABS = Antilock Breaking System: Prevents the braking system from locking up any of the tires during a braking event. You can not turn that function off.

Traction Control (TC): That function can be turned OFF using the button on the console. TC, If active (When you do a burnout and it is actively preventing the tires from spinning) will display a message in the DIC that says Traction Control Active and YES, that will limit burnouts.
If you turn it OFF, and if the engine has the required Torque and Horse Power, you will break traction (BURNOUT) When you depress the button on the on the console, do you see a Traction Control OFF message? Do you see the messages and do you hear the BEEP when the system changes from ON to OFF and back to ON?

Not all C5s can enter competitive mode You have the have the EBTCM/BPMV that supports Active Handling RPO JL-4 The feature appeared in 98 as an option and became standard in 2001.

QUESTION.. What Transmission do you have & What Differential gear ratio do you have?? My guess is an A4 and the 2:73 ratio differential. Not very conducive for spirited burnouts. Please let us know what you have..

Bill

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 10-10-2019 at 02:32 PM.
jjc508520 (10-22-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 02:36 PM
INSTIG8R
Racer

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

Also as a side thought, how hard are you holding the brakes for the burnout? If ABS is kicking on, it sounds like you have them slammed on. If you can relax on the brake pedal a little without creeping forward, that may be all the change you need. Tires also play a big part in it if you have something pretty sticky out back
Old 10-11-2019, 08:10 AM
oharal
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
QUESTION.. What Transmission do you have & What Differential gear ratio do you have?? My guess is an A4 and the 2:73 ratio differential. Not very conducive for spirited burnouts. Please let us know what you have..

Bill
If it's the 99 FRC in the picture they are all 6 speeds with 3.42.

It's also worth noting, unless you're doing a competitive drag race with a proper race tire there's never any practical reason to do a brake stand unless you like evaporating money into grey smoke....
Old 10-21-2019, 04:46 PM
VetteLife03
Cruising

Originally Posted by oharal
If it's the 99 FRC in the picture they are all 6 speeds with 3.42.

It's also worth noting, unless you're doing a competitive drag race with a proper race tire there's never any practical reason to do a brake stand unless you like evaporating money into grey smoke....
i do have a stock 6 speed but I have 3.73 gears.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:21 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

I have a 2000 FRC and I have to hold my AH/TC button at least 10-15 seconds to get to competitive mode--use it when it rains lightly or driving on a wet course. With stick autocross tires, I can slightly spin my rear wheels but only if I do not have my foot on the brake prior to acceleration.
Old 10-23-2019, 12:27 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

If you have 3.73 gears which are not stock you must have a tuner correct the peedo in your car otherise you may get a false trigger of the ABS system
same goes for aftermarket tire sizing this must be corrected in your tune
ALSO if you have aftermarket tires Tou must always retain the stock hieght differnece from back to front The rears being only 1 inch taller IF y ou alter too far away from this hgt differnece again your ABS and TC may false trigger
Has your car been tuned for the 3.73's
What are all your tire sizes ? measure the heights front and rear from the ground to the top of the tire ANY codes ?
Old 10-23-2019, 08:44 AM
oharal
Drifting

Originally Posted by tblu92
if you have aftermarket tires Tou must always retain the stock hieght differnece from back to front The rears being only 1 inch taller IF y ou alter too far away from this hgt differnece again your ABS and TC may false trigger
This is not true. Tons of people are running the same size tires front to back without issues including me for many miles.
NSFW (12-19-2019)
Old 10-25-2019, 02:54 PM
proracr
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hmm, I have never been a fan of burning up expensive rubber. To each his/her own.
Old 10-25-2019, 03:03 PM
turabo87
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by proracr
Hmm, I have never been a fan of burning up expensive rubber. To each his/her own.
Me neither, except they're due for replacement and it's time to send them off to tire heaven. Gotta have a little fun with it.

Last edited by turabo87; 10-25-2019 at 03:03 PM.
Old 12-16-2019, 03:01 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by
I did not make this up There was once a site online that was made specifically for C5/C6 's tire sizing where you would input your frnt/rear tire sizes and it would then tell you if your ABS system is in safe tolerance Granted a small change would not make much of a difference ---Typically any change over approx 1/3 of an inch +/-according to this chart was considered to NOT allow the ABS system to work at it's full potential and "could be" unsafe on a high speed hard stop--

Get notified of new replies

To C5 FRC traction control

Quick Reply: C5 FRC traction control