C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 intake dynoed at 10 rear wheel horsepower

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2002, 12:09 PM
MyFirst
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS6 intake dynoed at 10 rear wheel horsepower

I know that this topic has been beaten to death, but I figured that I would post my results for all of the new guys that are considering the LS6 intake. I had dynoed my car about one month earlier with all the mods seen below but the intake and a shorty x-pipe(i.e. exit28 X-pipe weld in unit). Anyways, I ended up going from 319/ 327 to 329/ 337. That's 10 rear wheel hp or about 12 at the flywheel which is what most produts are measured by. Overall I was pretty happy to be putting out 330 hp with so little mods, especially after my last car, a '97 Cobra, could barely muster 260 with exhaust and other light mods. Hope that helps.
Old 11-13-2002, 12:49 PM
F8LPONY
Racer

Default Re: LS6 intake dynoed at 10 rear wheel horsepower (MyFirst)

Did you remove the cats with the X-pipe?

Also how do you know how much power was from the intake and not the X-pipe?

Good power nonetheless but I just don't see how you can say it was all from the intake.
Old 11-13-2002, 01:26 PM
c5chris
Le Mans Master

:cheers:

We have the same car and I knew it made a difference when installed. A little more tuning with the Predator this weekend would probably help more coz the intake makes you run a little lean, IMHO.
Old 11-13-2002, 01:48 PM
aurik
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Elite Member

Default Re: LS6 intake dynoed at 10 rear wheel horsepower (c5chris)

:cool: :cool: :cool:
Old 11-13-2002, 02:59 PM
MyFirst
Instructor

Default Re: LS6 intake dynoed at 10 rear wheel horsepower (aurik)

You guys might want to look at the x-pipe at exit28motorsports.com to see what I'm talking about. It's only about 18" long. It is not the offroad pipe, but rather only replaces the H part in the exhaust. I did it to reduce the "popping" that the LS1 is known for when decelerating. It was advertised as being worth 4-5 hp, but in reality I don't that it's worht anything. I bought it to reduce the popping and interior exhaust noise. My intake made 10 rear wheel horsepower as per the dyno because I can't see how the x-pipe would really help the flow seeing how my car is still relatively stock.
Old 11-13-2002, 03:37 PM
Joe’s Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 35 Posts

Good numbers! :cheers:
Old 11-13-2002, 04:20 PM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,067 Likes on 591 Posts

Default Re: LS6 intake dynoed at 10 rear wheel horsepower (BrightRed C5 SWFL)

Hey, it may have been beaten to death, but, it's good to know. That's the only mod I still want to add and I was wondering if it was worth it. Ten RWHp is pretty good! :cheers: The only thing is will I have to get my Powerloader redone???
Old 11-13-2002, 04:23 PM
hrdtopv8
Pro

Default Re: LS6 intake dynoed at 10 rear wheel horsepower (Mike Campbell)

For those of you that installed the LS6 intake, did you use 2 coolant pipes or just one? I heard that you should use 2 pipes for better flow. If so, then are there 2 different part # between the front and rear pipes or are they the same? :confused:
Old 11-13-2002, 06:53 PM
MyFirst
Instructor

I used the sinlge coolant blocker thing that came with the kit from LMPerformance.com. I figured if that is how GM did it than it can't be harmful. I realize that there is some flaw in that thinking, but I think you get the idea.
Old 11-13-2002, 06:59 PM
Smoke-N-Shot
Race Director

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran

:cool: Nice to know! :cheers:
Old 11-13-2002, 07:09 PM
C5XTASY
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had dynoed my car about one month earlier with all the mods seen below but the intake and a shorty x-pipe(i.e. exit28 X-pipe weld in unit). Anyways, I ended up going from 319/ 327 to 329/ 337. That's 10 rear wheel hp or about 12 at the flywheel which is what most produts are measured by.
I don't doubt what you say, but have seen this before, and there's something I just don't understand. If adding that intake is good for 10 rwhp by itself, why does GM claim only 5 flywheel hp (and that's with a different cam and MAF) from 2000 to 2001? If it's that easy to slap on another 10 rwhp, I'd like to do it myself. As I said, not doubting your numbers, I just don't understand it. :confused: I'm hoping someone can explain. Thanks!
Ed

[Modified by C5XTASY, 6:10 PM 11/13/2002]
Old 11-14-2002, 03:00 AM
WALLstAL
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: LS6 intake dynoed at 10 rear wheel horsepower (C5XTASY)

Congrats :cheers:

I want to find my 10hp, I need it at the track! :lol: :yesnod:
Along with the addition of so many mods, I need a new dyno to start off again fron sratch.

[Modified by wallstAL, 12:03 AM 11/14/2002]
Old 11-14-2002, 08:02 AM
pburant
Burning Brakes

I had dynoed my car about one month earlier with all the mods seen below but the intake and a shorty x-pipe(i.e. exit28 X-pipe weld in unit). Anyways, I ended up going from 319/ 327 to 329/ 337. That's 10 rear wheel hp or about 12 at the flywheel which is what most produts are measured by.

I don't doubt what you say, but have seen this before, and there's something I just don't understand. If adding that intake is good for 10 rwhp by itself, why does GM claim only 5 flywheel hp (and that's with a different cam and MAF) from 2000 to 2001? If it's that easy to slap on another 10 rwhp, I'd like to do it myself. As I said, not doubting your numbers, I just don't understand it. :confused: I'm hoping someone can explain. Thanks!
Ed
[Modified by C5XTASY, 6:10 PM 11/13/2002]
You are correct in that the intake manifold alone can not bump rwhp up by 10. If that were the case, the '01+ LS1 would most likely have more than 5fwhp more than the pre-01 LS1 (of course, I always like to remind people to look at the whole picture - always take the full torque curve into consideration, not just the peak numbers - the differences between the 2 LS1's is bigger than the 5hp peak figure might lead you to believe). The simplest explanation I can offer is that the car in question was running rich or needed some type of tuning before the LS6 intake, and the intake change ended up correcting the tuning. If this is indeed what happened, it's possible that some cars could even lose power by switching to the LS6 intake (in the absence of tuning). Please correct me if I'm wrong (like I really need to make that request :lol: ), but I think I've seen people gain as much as 20-30rwhp just from tuning a lightly modified car.
Old 11-14-2002, 09:16 AM
NEPTUNEBILL
Melting Slicks

The zo6 intake is used on the newer LS1's and they raised the hp from 345 to 350. If you still have your cats you may still have gotten 2 or 3 from your xpipe. When you remove the cats with an off-road xpipe we are getting apprx 20rwhp and similar torque and you can feel the difference when you drive away and you can certainly hear the difference.
Old 11-14-2002, 09:32 AM
6Speeder
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 217 Posts

there's something I just don't understand. If adding that intake is good for 10 rwhp by itself, why does GM claim only 5 flywheel hp (and that's with a different cam and MAF) from 2000 to 2001?
Simple answer, the different cam is MILDER than the earlier one, gives less HP, but more torque down low. Add HP with the intake, take some back with the milder cam, also gave better gas mileage. :cheers:
Old 11-14-2002, 10:13 AM
1g1yy
Burning Brakes

Also aside from what has been mentioned, it is probably much cooler now then it was a month ago when the first pulls were done. :cheers:
Old 11-14-2002, 10:32 AM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06

Default Re: LS6 intake dynoed at 10 rear wheel horsepower (1g1yy)

Also aside from what has been mentioned, it is probably much cooler now then it was a month ago when the first pulls were done. :cheers:
That wouldn't matter if his dyno numbers are SAE corrected.

Get notified of new replies

To LS6 intake dynoed at 10 rear wheel horsepower

Old 11-14-2002, 12:23 PM
Smokin Joe
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: LS6 intake dynoed at 10 rear wheel horsepower (Scissors)

The factory loss of power may have something to do with the Pup converters prior to the Cats...maybe. I've heard that somewhere, but I believe they pulled the pup converters in '03. (Let's see what discussion this info creates)
Old 11-14-2002, 01:07 PM
MyFirst
Instructor

Default Re: LS6 intake dynoed at 10 rear wheel horsepower (SpyRacing)

Basically it boils down to GM rating the 01's + conservatively. They also put in a milder cam in 2001. I purposely dynoed my car BOTH times on cool days in order to get a realistic comparison and they are both uncorrected so that's not a factor. The dyno measure PEAK horsepower, not the curve horsepower.
"The simplest explanation I can offer is that the car in question was running rich or needed some type of tuning before the LS6 intake, and the intake change ended up correcting the tuning. If this is indeed what happened, it's possible that some cars could even lose power by switching to the LS6 intake (in the absence of tuning)." I'm going to call you on this one because this is a ridiculous statement! Any time you allow more air into an engine it's going to respond by producing more hp and trq. Now you will make more hp if the vehicle is tuned correctly, but you're looking at minimal results unless a major change is made to the engine, e.g. new heads and cam. Sorry but I couldn't let that go without responding. :rolleyes:
Old 11-14-2002, 01:40 PM
pburant
Burning Brakes

Basically it boils down to GM rating the 01's + conservatively. They also put in a milder cam in 2001. I purposely dynoed my car BOTH times on cool days in order to get a realistic comparison and they are both uncorrected so that's not a factor. The dyno measure PEAK horsepower, not the curve horsepower.
"The simplest explanation I can offer is that the car in question was running rich or needed some type of tuning before the LS6 intake, and the intake change ended up correcting the tuning. If this is indeed what happened, it's possible that some cars could even lose power by switching to the LS6 intake (in the absence of tuning)." I'm going to call you on this one because this is a ridiculous statement! Any time you allow more air into an engine it's going to respond by producing more hp and trq. Now you will make more hp if the vehicle is tuned correctly, but you're looking at minimal results unless a major change is made to the engine, e.g. new heads and cam. Sorry but I couldn't let that go without responding. :rolleyes:
Spending only a miniute searching the archives, I came up with this - 11rwhp from air/fuel adjustments alone on a stock car with airbox only:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zero...112202#4112202

If you have time to search more thoroughly, I'm sure you'll find similar posts with some bigger numbers.

While increased airflow will generally produce more power, intakes need to be matched with cams to properly exploit any airflow gains. The two LS1 cams are similar enough that you're not likely going to lose power by switching to an LS6 intake, but stranger things have happened. Search around and you will find posts in which a Blackwing or Vortex was added to a stock car and resulted in idle surging and other problems. Increased airflow is a good thing, but it doesn't always have the effects you expect or hope for.

Please keep in mind the word 'possible' is quite different from the word 'likely'.

Perhaps you could share more details about your dyno testing with us? Are the before and after numbers both SAE corrected (your last post suggests not - unless you factor in the exact weather conditions, you're not being very scientific)? How many miles were on the car at each test? LS1's are known to continue to increase output up until 20k miles.....

I'm not sure what you think 'curve horsepower' is, but I was referring to examining the horsepower output across the entire rpm range, as opposed to just looking at peak output. With minor mods, peak horsepower is usually indicative of what the rest of the horsepower curve looks like, but examining what is happening at lower rpms is important with regards to a car's driveability.

Lastly, please realize I'm not trying to start a peeing match with you, and I'm definitely not trying to convince you that you're not happy with your LS6 intake! Among other things, if you ever decide to replace your cam/heads, that intake will make a big difference. Good debate is one of the best aspects of this forum.
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Quick Reply: LS6 intake dynoed at 10 rear wheel horsepower