C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Differential Swap how to

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 08:00 AM
MBVette
Race Director

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Default Differential Swap how to

Anyone have a how to on a differential swap. Thinking about taking this job on, just trying to figure out of it will be to much for me. And I would be doing it on jackstands so any input would really help me make this choice.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:14 AM
02general
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

For what it’s worth, I pulled tranny with rear diff attached, then pulled torque tube, replaced slave cylinder, added a remote bleeder, installed a tick adjustable clutch master. Did this all in my garage with car on jack stands sitting on about (4) 2”x10” to give me some extra height. Was it a real fun job? No it wasn’t,but I didn’t have the cash to pay someone to do it for me. Plus doing it myself, I knew exactly what was done and how it was done. To swap out rear diffs I’ve heard it’s easier to pull the trans with the rear diff attached, swap diffs over then re-install tranny, with diff attached along with rear cross member. I used a tranny jack from harbor freight that worked out great. If your mechanically inclined this is not a hard job to do. Just takes some time wrenching on it. Good luck with it. If I can do it I’m sure you can too.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:21 AM
lunaticfringe007
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by 02general
For what it’s worth, I pulled tranny with rear diff attached, then pulled torque tube, replaced slave cylinder, added a remote bleeder, installed a tick adjustable clutch master. Did this all in my garage with car on jack stands sitting on about (4) 2”x10” to give me some extra height. Was it a real fun job? No it wasn’t,but I didn’t have the cash to pay someone to do it for me. Plus doing it myself, I knew exactly what was done and how it was done. To swap out rear diffs I’ve heard it’s easier to pull the trans with the rear diff attached, swap diffs over then re-install tranny, with diff attached along with rear cross member. I used a tranny jack from harbor freight that worked out great. If your mechanically inclined this is not a hard job to do. Just takes some time wrenching on it. Good luck with it. If I can do it I’m sure you can too.

My tranny seals all need replacement and I am in the same boat. Dont want to spend the money to have it done so I am thinking of trying it myself. It just seams a bit daunting.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:32 AM
02general
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Try a search on pulling the tranny, theirs all kinds of write ups on it. I found 1 on here that was a step by step write up. It was easy Peasy.

Get notified of new replies

To Differential Swap how to

Quick Reply: Differential Swap how to