C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Active Handling - would I regret not getting it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2002, 11:46 PM
Moval49er
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Active Handling - would I regret not getting it? (Edge 904)

I absolutely had to have an oil change last Saturday and - incredibly - it poured rain all day here in SoCal. So I went, and the AH and traction control both kicked in a couple times. Why not have it?

You'll have better resale, and it can be turned off (as I do ) when it suits me to really get on the car. For just commuting, it makes the most sense.

:yesnod:
Old 11-13-2002, 07:59 AM
Edge 904
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Active Handling - would I regret not getting it?

So, hitting the AH button once turns off both AH and TC? And holding the button for 5 secs turns off only AH but leaves TC turned on?

I think the concensus is definately to get AH.. and if I do have the ability to turn it completely off, then I can't see any reason not to get it..

It seems like it should have been one of those standard features from the beginning.

Does anyone have AH and hate it for any reason? Is there any reason I should avoid the first gen AH system (pre 2001)?

I appreciate all the help everyone has given me..
Old 11-13-2002, 08:14 AM
Ron Cleaver
Instructor

Default Get It!

Active Handling already prevented an accident in my 2000 C5. It was pouring rain one day last spring. I didn't notice the big puddle as I went into a turn. I started losing the rear end when it just seemed to stop. I looked at the DIC and Active Handling was ON!.

Nuff Said!?
Old 11-13-2002, 10:15 AM
Nelson V.
Drifting

So, hitting the AH button once turns off both AH and TC? And holding the button for 5 secs turns off only AH but leaves TC turned on?
Holding the button for 5 secs. turns off only TC, leaves on AH, it's called Competitive driving mode. I understand turning off TC prevents the 'puter from reducing throttle pressure when tractions is lost. When TC kicks in and throttle pressure reduces, it feels really weird.

I have it in my '98. I don't have any experience with the new models to compare. But I wouldn't say to avoid it. It works great for me.

The several times it's kicked in I was pushing the GO pedal way too hard (oh fun!!!), and I'd say AH made me look like a much better driver than I actual am.

Old 11-13-2002, 11:20 AM
C5Dawg
Racer

I would not purchase a late model vette that did not have the active handling on it.
Old 11-13-2002, 11:30 AM
Mitch Alsup
Racer

Default Re: Active Handling - would I regret not getting it? (C5Dawg)

Time for the contrarian to check in:

I find TC and AH anoying. I drive like grandma most of the time, blissfully ignorant of conditions. But when it comes to using the machine as it was intended, I go at it with the spirit of a race driver. TC/AH seems to check in just about every time I try to hang the tail out, I have practiced this a lot (TC/AH off) on race tracks and back road corners well known to me. It is just plain anoying to have to turn it off so that I can attack 4 corners, and then turn it back on for the rest of the drive. If TC/AH were automatically disabled above 1/2 throttle openings, I would be much happier.
Old 11-13-2002, 11:42 AM
Wicked C5
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04

Default Re: Active Handling - would I regret not getting it? (Mitch Alsup)

I've been there and done that. My last C5 was a 99 with active handling. I do not miss it on my current Vette. When I bought my 99 I thought it was something I really need but the only time I use it is in the rain on a road corse. My current setup is a 97 with about 400rwhp and I can drive the car just fine. I feel if the back end starts coming around I know how to drive and correct it. Good luck with your C5 purchase
Old 11-13-2002, 02:38 PM
HIGHRPM
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a thought....can AH be added to the early ('97-'01) cars? Since it was an option before '01, should be an addon.
Old 11-13-2002, 02:51 PM
bdavies
Pro

Default Re: Active Handling - would I regret not getting it? (Mitch Alsup)

Time for the contrarian to check in:

I find TC and AH anoying. I drive like grandma most of the time, blissfully ignorant of conditions. But when it comes to using the machine as it was intended, I go at it with the spirit of a race driver. TC/AH seems to check in just about every time I try to hang the tail out, I have practiced this a lot (TC/AH off) on race tracks and back road corners well known to me. It is just plain anoying to have to turn it off so that I can attack 4 corners, and then turn it back on for the rest of the drive. If TC/AH were automatically disabled above 1/2 throttle openings, I would be much happier.
On the 2002 and later you can turn it on/off on the fly. Is that not the case on the earlier cars?

Quick Reply: Active Handling - would I regret not getting it?