C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 Erratic idle and stall

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 05:30 PM
caa5030
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 1999 Erratic idle and stall

Hello, I have a 1999 FRC 6 speed with 70k on it. I have the Vararam intake, longtube headers, x pipe, b&b bullet mufflers, no cats and a mail order tune. Recently, I have been experiencing some weird behavior. The car will idle high at about 1,500 or 2,000 rpms for awhile then it will dip back down to normal and then sometimes shut completely off. I am guilty of replacing a few things with out due diligence, thinking that I knew what the problem was. I have replaced the fuel pump with a walbro, and the fuel filter/regulator. I replaced the throttle postion sensor. I still get the same behavior. When i replaced the fuel pump I was a dummy and pulled a wire off of the fuel level sensor. I soldiered it thinking that I could fix it but it did not do the trick so my fuel gauge is currently not working. I used my multi meter to check the injectors and they all read about the same at 14 ohms of resistance. I changed all the plugs and they all look normal and about the same, nothing out of the ordinary. I completely took apart my vararam intake and mass airflow sensor assembly. Cleaned the air filter, cleaned the mass air flow sensor and re-assembled everything so that is all sealed up. I am at a loss. I do not know what to check next. I am not getting any codes except for the fuel level sensor P0463. Any help is appreciated.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:47 PM
caa5030
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also sometimes when I turn the key to start the car, I need to hold the key the entire way over for a few seconds before the starter will even spin or engage.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:30 PM
C5 Diag
Moderator, Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,136 Likes on 1,701 Posts

Without getting a scan tool on the car you'd just be guessing and spending a LOT of money !!….would be good to look at your fuel trims and some sensors like MAF,BARO, IAT,ECT....with the idle high like that I'd look for a vacuum leak somewhere...a smoke machine would be the best to find one but you can try Brake Kleen...try it soon after the engine has been cold and see if you have leaks at the usual suspects...brake booster, PCV, intake runners, MAF bellows etc...when the RPM's change you've found the leak !!...I see you're from Pittsburgh...give Rosedale Tech a call....Paul Danner aka "Scanner Danner" the "King of Diagnostics" is a longtime instructor there...I'm sure they would love to have a Vette at the school to troubleshoot !!

Last edited by C5 Diag; 07-14-2019 at 08:34 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 1999 Erratic idle and stall

Quick Reply: 1999 Erratic idle and stall