C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Low oil Level"

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2002, 12:35 AM
tkbillg
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Low oil Level"

Tonight the DIC read low oil level! :eek: I have put about 2,000 miles since the last oil change and there is no oil accumulation in the exhaust pipes or soot , Is it possible the car could have consumed the oil from driving it .I 'm pretty sure its down about a half a quart. or should I run it to the dealer to get new rings? its a 2001 coupe ,no mods! :rolleyes: :chevy
Old 11-06-2002, 12:50 AM
Moundir
Drifting

Default Re: "Low oil Level" (tkbillg)

I wouldnt run to dealer right away now. Add the oil and monitor it closely. If it happens again, then you should have it check out :yesnod: Good luck. :seeya
Old 11-06-2002, 12:55 AM
tkbillg
Burning Brakes

Default Re: "Low oil Level" (Moundir)

Thanks!! That is what I am going to do. :cheers:
Old 11-06-2002, 01:25 AM
Richin Chicago
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tonight the DIC read low oil level! :eek: I have put about 2,000 miles since the last oil change and there is no oil accumulation in the exhaust pipes or soot , Is it possible the car could have consumed the oil from driving it .I 'm pretty sure its down about a half a quart. or should I run it to the dealer to get new rings? its a 2001 coupe ,no mods! :rolleyes: :chevy
One other possibility have you parked on a steep grade recently?

Old 11-06-2002, 10:33 AM
jerryv
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

First, don't count on the DIC ... it's not accurate enough to monitor oil consumption. You must rely on your dipstick.

Second .. you can't just go to the dealer and get the re-ring. They will first have to run an 'oil consumption' test to see if you're using enough to qualify. So if you think you're using too much oil, tell the dealer and ask them to start the oil consumption test. This can take a little time, and doesn't cost anything, so you might as well get it started.
Old 11-06-2002, 10:34 AM
Grumpy
MONARTOR

Received 133 Likes on 69 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-17-'18-'19'-20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default Re: "Low oil Level" (Richin Chicago)

One other possibility have you parked on a steep grade recently?
happens to me when I do that...
Old 11-06-2002, 10:58 AM
One Love
Instructor

When I first purchased my car I had the same concerns but after talking to a local dealer and Chevrolet directly they said it is normal. Depending on how aggressive you drive your car the more you use. I end up adding about 1/2 a quart a month (approximately 1,000-1,500 miles) but then again I drive mine very aggressively. Chevrolet told me not to be surprised if I add over 1 quart a month and they also said that some of their larger trucks can get an additional 2 quarts a month. Seems like a lot of extra oil but I guess thats the price you pay for high performance. Hope this helps you!
Old 11-06-2002, 11:08 AM
Corvette SSX
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default Re: "Low oil Level" (One Love)

When I first purchased my car I had the same concerns but after talking to a local dealer and Chevrolet directly they said it is normal. Depending on how aggressive you drive your car the more you use. I end up adding about 1/2 a quart a month (approximately 1,000-1,500 miles) but then again I drive mine very aggressively. Chevrolet told me not to be surprised if I add over 1 quart a month and they also said that some of their larger trucks can get an additional 2 quarts a month. Seems like a lot of extra oil but I guess thats the price you pay for high performance. Hope this helps you!
This is one topic that is near and dear to my heart. My 01 Z06 used oil from day one and it just got worse as more miles were put on the car. I finally sold it when it got to 1 quart every 600 miles.

This is total BS that the dealer is telling you. There are many, many C5's that use NO oil. According to GM 1 quart/1,500 miles is considered high. Chevy will do a ring job under warranty for excessive oil use, but their first line of defense is to tell the uneducated customer that their screw up is normal and that you should drive your car under 3000 rpm. If you're supposed to drive under 3000 rpm, the rev limiter should be set at that. I'd talk to the service department again and get the straight story.

Old 11-06-2002, 11:38 AM
cmacleod
Instructor

Same problem I had and I got them to replace the rings.

Old 11-06-2002, 11:55 AM
C6 Snowboarder
Race Director

Received 686 Likes on 374 Posts

you guys are scaring me.. my 98 A4 31k miles has never been to the dealer except for a oil change every 8 k miles or so and a cylinder head check recall - mine was thankfully ok. Reading some of these posts/theads and some of the problems I hear about like having rings replaced or a quart of oil gone in <1000 miles is enough to keep mine until it is dead. My only problem I would like fixed somehow is the Bose speakers that vibrate and fuzz now and then on bass notes. :nopity :chevy
Old 11-06-2002, 12:21 PM
Mark S.
Safety Car

Default Re: "Low oil Level" (CorvetteSS)

Corvette SS, I'm using about a half quart every 1,500 miles. It's not a problem since I change the oil about every 1,500 miles at six month intervals. I do drive her agressively, but I don't ever drive with RPMs above 3,000 for any long period of time (except when shifting) and then I usually drive around at 1,800 up to 2,000 RPMs (in fourth/fifth gear).

I do know that my '94 C4 never burned a drop of oil.
Old 11-06-2002, 12:26 PM
Richin Chicago
Safety Car

Default Re: "Low oil Level" (Mark S.)

This is getting old, but I think, still of interest:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=182271

Get notified of new replies

To "Low oil Level"

Quick Reply: "Low oil Level"