C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any negatives to a triple disk clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 10:15 PM
Rich Z
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Any negatives to a triple disk clutch?

I am considering a triple disk clutch for my C5Z but heard from someone via email that the additional mass of the three clutch disks can be a problem for the transmission synchronizers. Anyone had such a problem or heard of it? I'm sort of leaning toward the Monster LT1-S triple disk, but want to check to see if there are any notable drawbacks or gotchas.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:38 AM
Spaggs
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

How much power are you putting out? If you are thinking triple disc, have you considered the RPS BC-3. According to Vengeance Racing it's the best clutch out there bar none. They are rebuildable. I know the difference in weight between the BC-2 and BC-3 is only two pounds.
Good luck.
Spaggs
Old 04-20-2019, 10:32 AM
Rich Z
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Well, I'm not exactly positive how much power the car is putting out. Running a custom 427 with rear mounted twin turbos with 14 lb wastegates. The Centerforce clutch that just came out of the car shows burn marks on the pressure plate and flywheel, and I do not believe I have abused it. I don't ride the clutch and if anything thought I was being too gentle with it. Heck, never even did a burn out, and yet that clutch didn't seem very happy.

Actually what I like about what I read about the triple disks is the streetability of the clutch, and not so much the power handling capability. The car will be 99.9% street driven.

But regardless, still looking for input concerning any negative aspects of using a triple disk clutch in a C5 Z06. I sure as heck don't want to make a mistake.

Right now I am leaning towards the Monster LT1-S triple disk with the organic pads. Yeah, the RPS sounds nice, but they are a bit pricey and probably extreme overkill for my application.
Old 04-21-2019, 05:46 AM
vrybad
Le Mans Master

Received 709 Likes on 392 Posts

I can't speak to the Monster, but I did have an RPS Triple Carbon in my last C5Z and it was fantastic, very driveable.
Personally, considering the relative difficulty replacing clutches on these cars, I don't think the RPS is overkill for your setup, but I do get the additional cost involved and why you might go with the Monster.

edit-I would also suggest NOT going with the lightest flywheel offered...keeping some mass in the clutch assembly will help driveability.

Last edited by vrybad; 04-21-2019 at 05:48 AM.
Old 04-21-2019, 02:09 PM
Rich Z
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I guess that is what I don't understand. I was told by someone that the triple disk clutches are very hard on the transmission synchronizers, yet nearly all the reviews I read claim that shifting is easier, not harder. That would tend to dispute that claim, in my opinion.

As for the RPS triple disk, yeah sounds like a real nice piece of gear, but I just can't see what the additional $1,500 price tag would get me in a practical sense for MY application.
Old 04-24-2019, 05:21 PM
Rich Z
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Well, I haven't heard any notable negatives about triple disk clutches generally, nor the Monster LT1-S organic triple disk clutch specifically, so I will likely be ordering one shortly.

Thanks to anyone who responded with input.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:47 AM
vrybad
Le Mans Master

Received 709 Likes on 392 Posts

Definitely let us know how it works out and how driveability is.
I'm guessing you'll be pleased.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:54 AM
nyg215
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I just put a Mamo lightened RPS BC3 in my C5Z and love it!! Way better than my previous RPS twin carbon.
Old 04-25-2019, 04:10 PM
Rich Z
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Well, got the Monster triple disk clutch on order today. However they make the clutch on order, and the guesstimate is 7 to 10 days before it will be shipped out to me. Yikes.....

Oh, btw, I wound up ordering it from Tick Performance (and it is drop shipped from Monster) since I figured it would be a good idea to get the throwout bearing shims from them too. But then Steve at Monster told me that shims come with the clutch kit. It's not mentioned anywhere I could find, so if someone else runs into this dilemma, this info might be helpful.

Also, Tick shows this clutch coming with the remote bleeder whereas on Monster's website it is shown as an optional add on. Doesn't matter too much to me since I purchased a remote bleeder from Tick anyway a while back in preparation for this clutch job. But still, information that might be helpful to someone else.

Of course, depends on what I actually get when I open up the box, I guess. For some reason, most of my surprises tend to be unpleasant ones.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:50 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,346 Likes on 1,097 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich Z
……... For some reason, most of my surprises tend to be unpleasant ones.
Brother, you're not alone, there!!

Get notified of new replies

To Any negatives to a triple disk clutch?

Quick Reply: Any negatives to a triple disk clutch?