C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it possible for a C5 to run rich/lean?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2002, 03:47 PM
427_Roadster
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it possible for a C5 to run rich/lean?

I've seen a few topics about carbon buildup on exhaust tips, and one of the causes that usually comes up is your car is running too rich. This is probably a stupid question, but how is that possible? Shouldn't the computer be using it's sensors to adjust the fuel/air mixture so it's dead on? If the Vette is running rich, wouldn't that indicate a problem with the computer? :confused:
Old 11-04-2002, 03:55 PM
DsC5
Race Director

Default Re: Is it possible for a C5 to run rich/lean? (427_Roadster)

good question, I'm curious also. :confused:
Old 11-04-2002, 04:26 PM
iceburgh
Race Director

Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'10

Many people in here will tell you that these cars run rich from the factory...I got an adjustable fuel pressure gauge to help with this problem.
Factory setting was set at 62lbs. :eek: at idle I backed this off to 46lbs. I have no black build up at all now and dyno tuning shows that this is a much better fuel curve at 48.
IMO GM set this high for insurance on the warrenty so that you will not lean out and go boom
Old 11-04-2002, 04:33 PM
RHILL
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Is it possible for a C5 to run rich/lean? (Buckmaster)

You also want to make sure you have no intake leaks,keep a clean air filter and replace your O2 sensor when needed. :cheers:
Old 11-04-2002, 04:39 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Default Re: Is it possible for a C5 to run rich/lean? (RHILL)

UNder normal driving the PCM does adjust based on driving conditions.
Yes, but that is assuming the O2 sensors are still calibrated; clean; and giving accurate results.

Like Rhill said; there are many small problems that can make a computer controlled engine run rich/lean. And don't forget that during WOT, the PCM stops looking at the O2 sensors.
Old 11-04-2002, 07:20 PM
427_Roadster
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Is it possible for a C5 to run rich/lean? (iceburgh68)

dyno tuning shows that this is a much better fuel curve at 48.
Hey Iceburgh, did a better fuel curve also translate into better numbers on the dyno?
Old 11-04-2002, 07:33 PM
MattG
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In I, II, III, IV & V Veteran
CI-I & II Auto-X Champ

It is very realistic for an LS1 engine to run either rich or lean... At PART THROTTLE your computer does do its best to get your car running at the perfect air/fuel mixture for reliability, drivability and fuel economy, which is 14.7 to 1... The PCM uses the readings from its 02 sensors to decide how rich/lean the engine is running, and then makes corrections in the Fuel Trims to add or subtract the apropriate amount of fuel to get the engine to run at its desired a/f ratio.. When you put your foot to the floor, your car goes into a Fuel Enrichment Mode where it richens up the air/fuel mixture entering the engine in order to keep the engine safe, and produce more power. The amount of extra fuel that is added into the engine when the car enters Fuel Enrichment mode is based only on RPM and it does not use any feedback from the 02 sensors to figure out whether it is rich or lean.. This is where you need a wide-band 02-sensor dyno and a tuning tool such as ls1edit to correctly setup your fuel enrichment mode settings.

I hope this helps out a bit..

Old 11-04-2002, 07:34 PM
MattG
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In I, II, III, IV & V Veteran
CI-I & II Auto-X Champ

Default Re: Is it possible for a C5 to run rich/lean? (iceburgh68)

Many people in here will tell you that these cars run rich from the factory...I got an adjustable fuel pressure gauge to help with this problem.
Factory setting was set at 62lbs. :eek: at idle I backed this off to 46lbs. I have no black build up at all now and dyno tuning shows that this is a much better fuel curve at 48.
IMO GM set this high for insurance on the warrenty so that you will not lean out and go boom
46?? Are you sure you arent thinking 56?? 46 is way too low of fuel pressure for our cars, even under extreme load at WOT.

Old 11-04-2002, 08:34 PM
iceburgh
Race Director

Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'10

Default Re: Is it possible for a C5 to run rich/lean? (MattG)

46?? Are you sure you arent thinking 56?? 46 is way too low of fuel pressure for our cars, even under extreme load at WOT.
Matt,
I know this sounds crazy and there was no way I wanted to go that low but the tuner I had with me showed me what he was talking about and at idle it was between 46 and 48...He was talking chinese to me but I saw the results on the print out.
I did bump thisup to 56 when I hooked up nitrous to be safe but ???
You guys know a heck of bunch more than me all I can show is what he showed on my car.

Get notified of new replies

To Is it possible for a C5 to run rich/lean?

Quick Reply: Is it possible for a C5 to run rich/lean?