C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Optima Yellow Top Battery - Won't hold a charge - Anyone Else???

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2002, 01:05 PM
alan33
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Optima Yellow Top Battery - Won't hold a charge - Anyone Else???

I am having trouble with my Optima Yellow Top Battery holding enough charge to start the car. When I turn the key it just clicks, not enough juice to engage starter and crank it over. If I put it on a battery charger over night I can start it and go, but is dead again in a day or two. I don't driver the car regularly, so it can sit for weeks at a time without driving. But that's why I got the Optima Yellow Top in the first place. I even got a battery tender to keep it charged and it still won't start even with that on all the time. Took it to dealer and they said all is fine with the electrical system - who knows for sure?

Anyone else have a similar experience or any ideas?

Thanks,

Alan
Old 10-31-2002, 02:12 PM
55SUX
Racer

Default Re: Optima Yellow Top Battery - Won't hold a charge - Anyone Else??? (alan33)

I had the same exact problem with my red top. It went bad after only 2 years. I used a battery maintainer also. Didn't get any reason why from Optima. They just ignored me. Replaced it with a new yellow top (shouldn't have given them any more business with the bad customer service I got but I did).

New yellow top probably won't last more than 2 years either. I don't think Optimas are as good as they claim or they might be manufacturing them differently now because I had a red top in my last car that lasted over 7 years and that wasn't a daily driver and I didn't use any type of battery maintainer. I know of at least one battery distributor that no longer sells Optima because they weren't standing behind their warranties.
Old 10-31-2002, 02:32 PM
mrkln
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Optima Yellow Top Battery - Won't hold a charge - Anyone Else??? (alan33)

I've never had a problem with mine and it will sit for a few days between starts. Not sure what to tell you.
Old 10-31-2002, 02:39 PM
alan33
Racer

Default Re: Optima Yellow Top Battery - Won't hold a charge - Anyone Else??? (55SUX)

55SUX:

Thanks for the reply, this is actually my second Optima and the first yellow top[ did the exact same thing. Good for about a year and then no go.

Take Care,

Alan
Old 11-01-2002, 09:01 AM
AllCammedUp
Drifting

My red top is the same way. Don't feel bad. I'm not so sure they are everything they are cracked up to be. I can only play my stereo (with the ignition on/motor off) for about 25 minutes before the car won't start, and that's after the car has been running for hours and I KNOW the battery is fully charged.

I wish there was a better solution.
Old 11-01-2002, 09:18 PM
TigerVette
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 70 Posts

I've had the red top for nine months now and it's not holding a charge. Won't start after vacumming and cleaning the car. Dealer says the electrical system is fine. I purchased the battery from LAPD. Do I go through them to get an adjustment or can I take it to a local dealer? Very disappointing.
Old 11-01-2002, 09:37 PM
alan33
Racer

Default Re: Optima Yellow Top Battery - Won't hold a charge - Anyone Else??? (TigerVette)

Allcammed and Tiger:

Thanks for the reply, misery loves company!!! :cheers: :rolleyes:

Strange thing that most of the replies and emails I have received that do have the optima problem own '99 Vettes. Coincidence or Common Thread???? :confused: :confused:

Take Care,

Alan

[Modified by alan33, 8:38 PM 11/1/2002]
Old 11-02-2002, 10:50 PM
BobbyO
Racer

These stories suggest to me that you have sulphated battery plates. This condition occurs if you leave your car inactive for a while (3-4 weeks) and then rely on running the car to charge the battery. Sulphated battery plates will only hold a surface charge and you'll find the battery weak all the time. Once the battery plates get in this condition, battery tenders, standard battery chargers etc. will not bring it back to life. If the battery isn't 4 or 5 yrs old, I'd take it to a place that can charge the battery at 16 volts. That's the only way to break down suplhated plates and restore capacity. Good luck! :cheers:
Old 11-02-2002, 11:19 PM
TigerVette
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 70 Posts

Default Re: Optima Yellow Top Battery - Won't hold a charge - Anyone Else??? (BobbyO)

Thanks for the suggestion. However, my car is a daily driver. After detailing the car with the hood, doors and trunk open, I always put the car in the garage for the night. Typically car won't start the next morning. I'll follow your suggestion and try to get Interstate Batteries to give it a 16 volt charge. Thanks again. :flag
Old 11-03-2002, 12:20 AM
alan33
Racer

Default Re: Optima Yellow Top Battery - Won't hold a charge - Anyone Else??? (TigerVette)

BobbyO, never heard of this before, thanks for the info.

Tiger, if you try it and it works, let us know. I will look for a place that can do a high voltage charge also.

Take Care,

Alan
Old 11-03-2002, 12:35 AM
AP
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe you guy's bought bad batteries??? My dad has had a Yellow Top on his '01 since it was purchased ... and it still works fine ... I find it hard to imagine such a popular battery would have major problems and it not have been discussed here before ...

You might just want to try the GM AGM Batteries in the newer C5's ... if you dont have a major stereo setup, it should be fine, and wont leak either ...

[Modified by AP, 11:37 PM 11/2/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To Optima Yellow Top Battery - Won't hold a charge - Anyone Else???

Quick Reply: Optima Yellow Top Battery - Won't hold a charge - Anyone Else???