C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help/advise/recommendation on top end

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 07:37 PM
mrm13
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Need help/advise/recommendation on top end

So, I got to the point where I am ready to open my motor up. My car has 160K miles and still runs like a champ. However I would like to squeeze some more power out of it (I am absolutely committed to staying NA) and refresh the engine and make it more reliable at the same time.
I have decided to go with the top end kit that Summit sells for $3300, which is supposed to deliver 515hp (at the fly wheel) and includes new heads, cam, push rods, rockers, gaskets. I decided to go this route, because It is a proven combo, which gives reasonable gains while maintaining reliability and drivability. I already have a brand new twin disc clutch with lightweight billet flywheel, long tube headers, poly mounts on the transmission and engine and all the suspension upgrades I need. I have decided on full Vararam setup.
Here is where I need help:
- I will upgrade the intake, but I am not sure with which one. My understanding is that both the Fast and the MSD show similar results, if don't go into splitting seconds. I never 1/4 mile my car and altho it is driven regularly and hard, it is basically a weekend toy. I like the looks of the "Air Force" or whatever MSD calls their intake over the FAST (I would sand it smooth and paint it), but I would like to hear opinions on both intakes and when it comes to FAST, I would like someone to educate me about the benefits and drawbacks of the 92 vs 101.
- What supporting mods would it be good to make while the motor is being tinkered with?
Lifters? Trays? Timing chain? Water pump? Oil pump? etc..
- What brands and models should I be looking into and what are going to be the benefits other than just putting new pars?
Any advise and help would be greatly appreciated.
TIA
Old 12-17-2018, 07:48 PM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,671 Likes on 1,222 Posts

Whatever you do, you need new lifters with a new cam.

At that mileage, I think you would be wise to rebuild the whole engine given how far you are already going. Those mods are going to put additional stress on things like rings and bearings.

But if you aren't going to do that, then for sure the water pump, timing chain and oil pump.

Best of luck!

Last edited by 4XLR8N; 12-17-2018 at 07:50 PM.
Old 12-17-2018, 09:26 PM
Time for a C-5
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 179 Posts

I think I found the kit you're looking at. Nice heads and not a crazy cam. Funny how they can advertise HP & TQ without specifying an intake. The swing from a LS1 intake to say a FAST 102 could be 40 or so hp.

I've always thought of a FAST 102 as an intake for a max effort/big cam/high RPM set-up. Also the 102 requires a different fuel rail whereas the 92 will work with the stock rail. Pretty sure the 102 also requires shorter engine mounts. The 92 also gets expensive since you'll also need a different TB and a (cheap) electrical adapter. An LS6 intake would also be a nice improvement over your LS1...it would leave a little power on the table. Guess that's true with any compromise.

Definitely do the lifter trays (LS2) and lifters (LS7). There's other more exotic stuff, but they can get pricey. Definitely an oil pump while you're in there (decent Melling pump?) and a timing chain. I went with an LS2 chain (larger then a LS1) and I reused the gears but I only had 60k miles and I did a relatively mild cam (similar to yours) with single beehive springs so less stress on the valvetrain. I have a buddy that works for PAC and his engineer coworker buddy swears by a quality single spring for a street build/fun toy use.

I also agree with the above post. While your top end will be fresh you're about to increase your redline 1,000 rpm and I'll guessing you'll wanna see it since this set-up will pull all the way there.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:31 PM
foggy
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 93 Posts

I "think" I read where the MSD Intake Manifold doesn't fit in a C5 without lots and lots of work... Hood/Firewall areas.
And as stated above.. Lifters, Trays, Oil Pump, Timing Chain, and Harmonic Balancer Too
Old 12-22-2018, 03:46 PM
mrm13
Pro

Sorry guys, I thought I responded, but apparently I did not submit my comment.
First of all thank you for the input.
So, here is the next round of questions....
Timing chain. What should I go with? When doing a search, it seems every manufacture under the sun makes a double timing chain. I read however that this kind of chain would require grinding and modifications to timing cover and/or water pump. I don't drag my car and I think the power planned will be more than enough for what I use the car for. So is it really worth it going that route or should I just stick to the stock parts, just newer generation?
When replacing the water pump and the oil pump, I have the same question. Should I go aftermarket or stock? If someone has a combo setup that is tried and true, I would greatly appreciate sharing it.
The other thing that I would like to hear opinions about is the fuel supply. What injectors would work best? would I need to upgrade the whole fuel system?
last but not least, due to where I am located, I have logistic problems with a good tuner. So altho the car will not run perfect, is it going to be OK to drive it about 150 miles to take it to get tuned?
Tanks in Advance
Old 12-22-2018, 09:05 PM
493lszosix
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 104 Posts

Katech c5r timing chain will go in with no modifications and hold all the hp you’ll ever need, new stock oil pump is fine, on the injectors I would get with whoever is going to do the tune, they may have certain ones they like to use and let them install them, do not install them and drive it cause the flow will be off, just drive it easy to the shop that will tune it
Old 12-22-2018, 09:53 PM
Time for a C-5
Burning Brakes

The LS2 chain is a nice upgrade over the LS1 for $45. My stock injectors supported low 400s HP...you really won't know until you start tuning. Definitely drive it to the tuner with the factory injectors.
Old 12-28-2018, 07:15 PM
mrm13
Pro

Thanks guys. Appreciate the advise.
Now what lifters should I go with?
And does anyone know a good tuner in the Denver, Co area?
Old 12-28-2018, 07:18 PM
Time for a C-5
Burning Brakes

LS7 lifters and LS2 lifter trays. Good quality OEM products and a step up from factory LS1 stuff. Like everything, there are also more exotic (expensive) options but likely overkill for a mild street build.

Get notified of new replies

To Need help/advise/recommendation on top end

Quick Reply: Need help/advise/recommendation on top end