C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 remote bleeder, is Katech the best?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2023, 08:31 PM
flyboyslc1
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

Thanks very much to the last 3 posters! The Tic bleeder arrived today, so I am just starting to try and understand the differences. Price for me is not the deciding factor.

one question. Would it be possible to fabricate a purpose built long socket, slotted for the hose to fit inside of, and perhaps turntable by an open end wrench? Use this to attach hose to fitting. Don’t know if the hole where the hose goes through the torque tube or clutch housing is so tight that it would make this impossible to do? I have done this type of thIng on airplane builds that I have done. The small adapter, with the copper crush washer looks, perhaps, doable? Just need to find the pictures in the FSM and talk to smart guys like you that have already done this project. I think I understand that I won’t be able to see what I will be working on.

Other options are making this a winter project, and tear it down myself, or payin the Man to do it for me. My end goal is to gift the car to a grandson that likes cars. With 50000 miles gently driven by old men, the existing clutch I believe to be in great shape. But the slave is sludged up. I can tell. First few trips in spring just feel not right.
The following users liked this post:
Iandoohan (05-30-2023)
Old 05-30-2023, 08:47 PM
1999corvettels1
Melting Slicks

Received 344 Likes on 253 Posts

You could try the remote bleeder you bought, if you can’t get the threads started could always put the factory bleeder back in and bleed it with a 2nd person pumping clutch pedal and watching/adding brake fluid.

Save Tick bleeder for one day when needing clutch job.

For me the biggest trouble I had doing this was the exhaust flange bolts bending and breaking off, having to extract broken bolts, after getting those all out and finding new bolts the clutch bleeder was not bad.

flyboyslc1 (05-30-2023)
Old 05-30-2023, 08:55 PM
Iandoohan
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by flyboyslc1
Thanks very much to the last 3 posters! The Tic bleeder arrived today, so I am just starting to try and understand the differences. Price for me is not the deciding factor.

one question. Would it be possible to fabricate a purpose built long socket, slotted for the hose to fit inside of, and perhaps turntable by an open end wrench? Use this to attach hose to fitting. Don’t know if the hole where the hose goes through the torque tube or clutch housing is so tight that it would make this impossible to do? I have done this type of thIng on airplane builds that I have done. The small adapter, with the copper crush washer looks, perhaps, doable? Just need to find the pictures in the FSM and talk to smart guys like you that have already done this project. I think I understand that I won’t be able to see what I will be working on.

Other options are making this a winter project, and tear it down myself, or payin the Man to do it for me. My end goal is to gift the car to a grandson that likes cars. With 50000 miles gently driven by old men, the existing clutch I believe to be in great shape. But the slave is sludged up. I can tell. First few trips in spring just feel not right.
I read about a guy who hogged out a deep socket and make a notch to fit a wrench. Gotta look for it…..
flyboyslc1 (05-30-2023)
Old 06-03-2023, 02:22 AM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Received 828 Likes on 542 Posts

essentially cut out two sides of the hex just like a flare nut wrench.

and for those who are pulling their torque tubes anyway: i built a remote clutch bleeder for my wife's hummer for ~$50. the parts turned out to be same as what's on my C5 (except i used a shorter hose).
Old 07-09-2023, 03:38 AM
Brent Dalton
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks to all who contributed in this thread to make this job a breeze. I recently had the headers off my 02 C5Z so I went ahead and installed the Katech remote bleeder. It is definitely a tight space, but the below tool(thanks to a friend) made install of the first piece of the remote bleeder easy. I used a normal wrench for the second piece, which took some time/patience. Total time was probably 20 minutes at the bleeder area.

Iandoohan (07-09-2023)

Quick Reply: C5 remote bleeder, is Katech the best?