C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This was an A++ day!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 06:02 PM
cruisemon
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default This was an A++ day!!

After a P0410 CEL and shooting trouble I concluded the issue was vacuum line disruption based on the FINE resources in this forum. I also had a problem with the mixer doors on the auto HVAC mal functioning and everything I concluded was the dash was coming apart and I was going to replace the door modules.

I have the FSM and there is NOTHING in it that describes this vacuum line issue nor is there a diagram of vacuum line routing. I removed the battery and the battery tray and $H!T. There's two vacuum lines broken as a result of battery acid attack.

The fantastic tech notes on this forum start off "remove the front fender", "it's easy" and other similar platitudes. First of all, I hope someday to speak face to face with at least two people - one is the pervert that conceived the index in the FSM because there is ABSOLUTELY no rhyme or reason to it. The other is the sadist that put the 3 upper most 7 mm fender retaining screws up behind the headlight module in a place that only a double jointed midget with super human finger strength in the first and second joints of their thumb and index finger could reach and manipulate.

BUT, I got the @#$%^&* fender off.

I was ready to dive into that massive wiring bundle that contains the vacuum lines (HELLO - did anyone ever hear of separating electrical and pneumatic lines?), chasing the broken lines God only knew where they went and what impossible tasks lay ahead.

AND THERE THEY WERE!!!! BOTH ends of BOTH vacuum lines right there staring me in the face! How about I'm putting a rubber tubing splice on these bad boys and putting this mother back together Saturday.

Oh - and if anyone needs 50 feet of 5/32" nylon tubing I can make you a deal.

Last edited by cruisemon; 10-31-2018 at 06:03 PM.
Old 10-31-2018, 08:55 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,143 Likes on 846 Posts

It's good to be good, but it is better to be lucky.

Congrats on the (somewhat) easy fix
Old 11-01-2018, 01:04 AM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

How do you know the lines aren't leaking somewhere else or even if they are connected to the vacuum source? There are inexpensive meters you can buy or borrow to check the lines.

Get notified of new replies

To This was an A++ day!!

Quick Reply: This was an A++ day!!