C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car would not turn over!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2002, 04:06 PM
quimbo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car would not turn over!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please chime in if this has ever happened to you this morning I took the vette out for my morning coffee went home parked her in the garage and
went to sleep I work nights. This afternoon got back into the car turned key she wouldnt turn over everything else working fine. To say the least this PISSED ME OFF!! I tried several times even moved the shifter up and down thinking maybe it was not all the way up in park. I was ready to call the dealer because 3 days before that I got the remove key for 10 second message and I figured that was locking me out. I had remembered what the tech at chevy told me about these keys for the car sometimes the chip will fail for some reason and the car wont start. I went into the house and got my wifes key for the vette and she started!!!! I then turned off the car
cleaned off the chip on my key and that then worked. So Im writing this to tell anyone who has this problem like I did clean off the chip on the key before you call your local dealer it might save you alot of GREEN!!!!!!!

QUIMBO
SOMETIMES CHEVY MAKES ME :U :U :U :U :U :U :seeya :seeya :seeya

[Modified by quimbo, 3:07 PM 10/22/2002]
Old 10-22-2002, 11:05 PM
Steve02C5
Safety Car

Default Re: Car would not turn over!!!!!!!!!!!! (quimbo)

Funny thing, I have the same problem with my girlfriend. :lol: :lol:
Old 10-22-2002, 11:16 PM
JR_VETTE
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Mid-TN Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Please chime in if this has ever happened to you this morning I took the vette out for my morning coffee went home parked her in the garage and
went to sleep I work nights. This afternoon got back into the car turned key she wouldnt turn over everything else working fine. To say the least this PISSED ME OFF!! I tried several times even moved the shifter up and down thinking maybe it was not all the way up in park. I was ready to call the dealer because 3 days before that I got the remove key for 10 second message and I figured that was locking me out. I had remembered what the tech at chevy told me about these keys for the car sometimes the chip will fail for some reason and the car wont start. I went into the house and got my wifes key for the vette and she started!!!! I then turned off the car
cleaned off the chip on my key and that then worked. So Im writing this to tell anyone who has this problem like I did clean off the chip on the key before you call your local dealer it might save you alot of GREEN!!!!!!!

QUIMBO
SOMETIMES CHEVY MAKES ME :U :U :U :U :U :U :seeya :seeya :seeya

[Modified by quimbo, 3:07 PM 10/22/2002]
I could be wrong, but I sware I saw somewhere on the forum that what you experienced is the first sign of the Column Lock issue/recall.

If you have already had the fix done, there might have been some crud on the resister on your key.
Old 10-23-2002, 09:35 AM
luvinc5
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Car would not turn over!!!!!!!!!!!! (jreed99)

It's not a bad idea to have a another key cut.
Old 10-24-2002, 01:48 PM
Draco
Drifting

BEWARE, it might not be just your key.
I had this same exact problem, but it wasn't the key. Happened a couple of times on vacation and got back home and the dealer couldn't reproduce it so did nothing :mad Once it started to get cold it would take me 5 minutes just holding the key in the start position to get it started every morning.
Finally took it back to the dealer and they replaced the ignition/Key assembly, fixed the problem so far.

Old 10-24-2002, 02:03 PM
chocoholic
Burning Brakes

Did you get the remove key wait 10 seconds message?

Because if you did and you didn't wait 10 seconds then you could just be frustrating yourself because the system needs that 10 seconds to reset itself.

So yes, it could just have been some oil or grease on the chip which, by the way, is just a resistor pellet; there's no smarts in it and cleaning the key was probably all you needed to do.
Old 10-24-2002, 02:18 PM
quimbo
Drifting

Default Re: Car would not turn over!!!!!!!!!!!! (chocoholic)

I got the message but put the key back in and she started right up it was was a few hours later that I had the problem with the car not turning over

QUIMBO :D :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

[Modified by quimbo, 1:19 PM 10/24/2002]

[Modified by quimbo, 1:20 PM 10/24/2002]
Old 10-24-2002, 03:36 PM
chocoholic
Burning Brakes

I've had the same and it happened three times in a row. In the end it transpired that the key needed cleaning. Obviously, I can't see yours from here but there's hope that it was something similar.
Old 10-24-2002, 04:48 PM
C5_PIG
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Car would not turn over!!!!!!!!!!!! (Steve02C5)

Funny thing, I have the same problem with my girlfriend. :lol: :lol:
Lmao!!!!!!!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Car would not turn over!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Car would not turn over!!!!!!!!!!!!