C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help!! Front breaks drag on c5 2001. 57000miles

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 01:13 PM
Mjk85
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mjk85

where should I be taking it?? I researched as much as possible. Everyone pointed to able Chevy.
dealer said the think it’s the abs mod. Can replace for $1350.00. Crazy.
Old 06-01-2018, 06:31 PM
AllVette
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check This
Old 06-02-2018, 11:05 AM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

^^^ This looks like the answer to this problem. It is a TSB that applies to 2001 models and describes exactly what is happening and the solution.

where should I be taking it?? I researched as much as possible. Everyone pointed to able Chevy.
Able Chevy should have found the TSB. Definitely worth checking the vacuum brake booster before messing around with the ABS module at the tune of $1,350.00

Last edited by GCG; 06-02-2018 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-03-2018, 02:01 AM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7

Thread Starter, the info in that TSB certainly sounds like the symptoms that you are encountering.

The same TSB info is available to the techs at the Stealership but it took someone from the Forum to provide it to you. Sort of says something about the problem diagnosis/research capabilities of the techs you are dealing with. JMHO
Also says something about the invaluable resource this forum can be.
Old 06-03-2018, 07:03 PM
Mjk85
Heel & Toe

Default Thanks.

Ty for the reply’s. I will post the solution ASAP. Should have car on Friday. 👌😀
Old 06-07-2018, 12:42 AM
Mjk85
Heel & Toe

Default Update.

So now the dealer is saying that there are “pretty sure” the ebcm is causing the issue I have asked time and time again if break booster is culprit but they assure me it’s not. They said that when unplugged the issue goes away plug it in and issue reappears. No codes thrown. Thoughts?? Should I proceed or take car else where?? I told them about tsb for boaster her said he saw nothing of the sort posted for them at Chevy!! I’m done throwing money at pretty sure this will fix it!! Any advice is appreciated!
Old 06-07-2018, 10:51 AM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

i dont know and am also just learning all these systems..... but the active handling control systems are pretty sophisticated....so are they saying the ecbm is sensing an active handling control feature that is applying the brakes?
Old 06-07-2018, 11:48 AM
jpb1978
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I had a brake problem when I bought my car. It was one of those thin stainless steel plates that the pads ride on had a groove worn in it, some pads come with a new one an some don't. Probably not your issue but who knows. The dealer doesn't.
Old 06-07-2018, 11:51 AM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod

ABS or EBCM is used for both Active Handling and for Traction Control. Why would it be just an AH event that the EBCM is sensing and not perhaps a TC event???
excellent observation, i hadn't matured enough to the second point.

so does it have to be sensory input that causes the EBCM to activate or can it be an internal flaw or corruption that makes it have a mind of its own..i guess as I type this i realize it could be either...

Last edited by bobs77vet; 06-07-2018 at 11:52 AM.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:07 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

So now the dealer is saying that there are “pretty sure” the ebcm is causing the issue I have asked time and time again if break booster is culprit but they assure me it’s not. They said that when unplugged the issue goes away plug it in and issue reappears. No codes thrown. Thoughts?? Should I proceed or take car else where?? I told them about tsb for boaster her said he saw nothing of the sort posted for them at Chevy!! I’m done throwing money at pretty sure this will fix it!! Any advice is appreciated!
If you feel like giving them another opportunity, print the TSB and discuss it with them. Observe their reaction and their response to it, and then decide whether or not to let them proceed.

At this point, and given the way they have handled the problem, perhaps you should consider taking the car elsewhere and begin with a clean slate with someone that doesn't have to present a "self-defense" to justify not having been able to find a TSB

I would suggest that wherever you go, you take with you the printed TSB and discuss it upfront, along with the history of repairs already done.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:21 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Before seeing that service bulletin I would have suspected the brake booster as the most likely culprit. In fact, as pretty much the only culprit.

The master cylinder CAN NOT pull the brake pedal down because the master cylinder CAN NOT pull on the rod coming from the brake booster. The rod simply has a blunt end that pushes against the piston in the master cylinder. The booster will return the pedal regardless of what the master cylinder is doing.

The booster will store vacuum. So, shut the engine off and then step on and off the brake pedal hard 4 or 5 times. The pedal should begin to fully return as the vacuum is depleted in the booster.

Last edited by lionelhutz; 06-07-2018 at 01:24 PM.
Old 06-07-2018, 03:00 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Originally Posted by AllVette
Check This
does pulling up on the brake with you foot solve this enough to do a diagnosis?
Old 06-07-2018, 04:08 PM
Mjk85
Heel & Toe

Default What tsb!?

Originally Posted by GCG
If you feel like giving them another opportunity, print the TSB and discuss it with them. Observe their reaction and their response to it, and then decide whether or not to let them proceed.

At this point, and given the way they have handled the problem, perhaps you should consider taking the car elsewhere and begin with a clean slate with someone that doesn't have to present a "self-defense" to justify not having been able to find a TSB

I would suggest that wherever you go, you take with you the printed TSB and discuss it upfront, along with the history of repairs already done.
can you send a link for that I’m going there today or tomorrow to drop off ebcm
Old 06-07-2018, 06:09 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Post #23 has the link you want. Click on the word "This" in the post.

What tsb!?

Can you send a link for that. I’m going there today or tomorrow to drop off ebcm.
I'm sorry you didn't catch that when it was posted. All posts after Post 23 were written with the tacit understanding that the Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) had been read.

It's your car and therefore it's your decision, but I wouldn't let them touch the EBCM. Run, Forrest, run!

Note: for your convenience, I included links to Post 23 and TSB here in my message.

Last edited by GCG; 06-07-2018 at 06:22 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:14 PM
Mjk85
Heel & Toe

Default After $6600 from the stealer!!

1st off f able Chevy. They suck ***. I was better off from searching the web and going off natural instinct!! Ecbm abs mod break lines calipers master cylinder rotors pads. Guess what’s left and what I suspected the whole time!!!! My break booster!! $220 part had to pay $6600 to figure it out and at that I figured it out!! Sure they did the work but I dignosed the issue. Cars running fine other than misfire.
Old 06-17-2018, 04:04 AM
Mjk85
Heel & Toe

VERY hard and VERY, VERY expensive lesson to learn!!!!

Do NOT trust a Stealership. They are parts swappers at YOUR expense and not problem diagnosers.

Next time your C5 has a problem post here and you will get the absolute best C5 problem diagnosing anywhere in the world. JMHO
i agree. Even so it’s still a weak booster. Break light stays laminated sometimes after break release. Time to swap it again.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:14 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,344 Likes on 1,095 Posts

This is very interesting!!

I've always noticed, when swapping out the driving (summer) wheels/tires for the storage (winter) wheels/tires, on my car, that the front wheels don't spin all that freely. My car is an '01 also, and it's been that way for as long as I can remember. The drag isn't enough to generate enough heat for the wheels to be warm to the touch, after a reasonable ride, but I have thought that the wheels should spin a little more freely.

Assuming that it's the power booster, and assuming that the new part is still available, is this a simple enough job that can be done at home?

Get notified of new replies

To Please help!! Front breaks drag on c5 2001. 57000miles

Old 06-17-2018, 09:26 AM
C5 Diag
Moderator, Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,136 Likes on 1,701 Posts

thanks I’ll look into that. It’s at the dealer now with some of the best techs in nor cal or so I was told.

I wouldn’t let a GM “Tech” change my oil...IMHO !!
Old 06-17-2018, 11:31 AM
knewblewkorvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,709 Likes on 1,670 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-
'23-'24

Its BRAKE, not break!
Best wishes on your repair.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:18 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

POST 23:
Originally Posted by AllVette
Check THIS
POST 24:
Originally Posted by GCG
^^^ This looks like the answer to this problem. It is a TSB that applies to 2001 models and describes exactly what is happening and the solution.

Able Chevy should have found the TSB. Definitely worth checking the vacuum brake booster before messing around with the ABS module at the tune of $1,350.00
POST 25:

Thread Starter, the info in that TSB certainly sounds like the symptoms that you are encountering.

The same TSB info is available to the techs at the Stealership but it took someone from the Forum to provide it to you. Sort of says something about the problem diagnosis/research capabilities of the techs you are dealing with. JMHO
POST 34:
Originally Posted by lionelhutz
Before seeing that service bulletin I would have suspected the brake booster as the most likely culprit. In fact, as pretty much the only culprit.

The master cylinder CAN NOT pull the brake pedal down because the master cylinder CAN NOT pull on the rod coming from the brake booster. The rod simply has a blunt end that pushes against the piston in the master cylinder. The booster will return the pedal regardless of what the master cylinder is doing.

The booster will store vacuum. So, shut the engine off and then step on and off the brake pedal hard 4 or 5 times. The pedal should begin to fully return as the vacuum is depleted in the booster.
POST 38:
Originally Posted by GCG
I'm sorry you didn't catch that when it was posted. All posts after Post 23 were written with the tacit understanding that the Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) had been read.

It's your car and therefore it's your decision, but I wouldn't let them touch the EBCM. Run, Forrest, run!

Note: for your convenience, I included links to Post 23 and TSB here in my message.
1st off f able Chevy. They suck ***. I was better off from searching the web and going off natural instinct!! Ebcm abs mod break lines calipers master cylinder rotors pads. Guess what’s left and what I suspected the whole time!!!! My break booster!! $220 part had to pay $6600 to figure it out and at that I figured it out!! Sure they did the work but I dignosed the issue. Cars running fine other than misfire.
So sorry for your ordeal, but as they say you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. The solution was posted by AllVette in Post 23 (a detailed service bulletin from GM) and commented on and analyzed many times after that

Last edited by GCG; 06-17-2018 at 08:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Please help!! Front breaks drag on c5 2001. 57000miles