C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update on LMC5 and a bad BCM

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 03:34 PM
Dustie
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Update on LMC5 and a bad BCM

“Pull key wait 10 seconds” has been my nemesis for almost 10 years now and I figured an update was due.
To review, I started getting these messages regularly and to make a very long story short, nothing worked. The GM recall removed the column lock but did not help.
Then I tried a CLB which was a waste of time for me. Problem actually got worse.
Finally my car would produce the pull key message on almost every start and then , although the car started it would shut down at 2 mph.
The LMC5 and it’s successor allowed me to drive the car but I still got the pull key about 50 % of the time. Still pretty annoying.
Richard at Compliance Parts (LMC manufacturer) has been working with me over the last couple of years and we decided that the BCM must be the culprit and so I looked for and found a used one this past winter on eBay. Mine is a ‘98 C5 and the BCM was harder to find than newermodel. You need to match up the model number exactly. It was an easy swap but I needed to get the new BCM to communicate with the rest of the car so the chip in the key had to be used.
Bill Curlee’s relearn procedure found on this forum was used and I have now done 5 starts with no message! Pretty cool.
Apparently the BCM can be repaired and reused in my case.
Many thanks to Richard and Bill for their help. 👍👍👍
Cheers.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:52 PM
ztheusa
Melting Slicks

Received 344 Likes on 214 Posts

"""And now, you break into your happy dance!!""

Good sleuthing!!
Old 04-14-2018, 01:29 PM
Dustie
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ztheusa
"""And now, you break into your happy dance!!""

Good sleuthing!!
were you watching me?? Richard at Compliance mentioned that he knew of about 30 early C5 cars that had bad BCMs and that the only fix was to replace them. I give him full credit.
The following users liked this post:
Carl Timonen (04-14-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Update on LMC5 and a bad BCM

Quick Reply: Update on LMC5 and a bad BCM