C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat Belt Retractor OEM Not Available!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 10:59 PM
udmover
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat Belt Retractor OEM Not Available!

My 2000 coupe driver side seatbelt is stuck in the retracted position and just won't budge. Shop says I need a new retractor, which is unfortunately no longer manufactured OEM by GM. I think I can find a used one on eBay or similar, but does anyone know how to replace this part? I'm sure I'm not the only person to experience this! I can't find any video or page on how to access this part- For the first time in my memory, Google searches aren't helping! Any other ideas as well?
Old 03-14-2018, 12:20 AM
Velocity_Vette
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 294 Posts

I don't have a FSM in front of me showing the B pillar trim piece, but that entire piece has to come out to access the retractor. For the targa coupe the center roof piece has to be loosened, then all the plastic fasteners holding the panel removed. It's difficult to see in place but the panel has a small slit on each rectangular opening to facilitate sliding the panel through the belt while it's still attached to the anchor points.

What I would do is move the seat bottom and back as far forward as they can go and then come in through the other side of the car to work the fasteners off.

If you're wanting to remove the high mount pivot bolt for the belt that triangle piece snaps at the bottom and flips upwards. Then the hold bolt can be accessed.

Before you replace the retractor though do know that there were two separate recalls for seat belts, the later specifically dealing with stuck retractors. While it would be very difficult to fulfill a recall if GM doesn't even carry the part any longer, there is a method that was discovered on the forum back when C5s were still new to loosen stuck retractors. I know there are threads here on the forum regarding it but I'm coming up empty with the steps involved (probably due to their age). I would try and dig up those methods before you're out money on something you possibly didn't need to buy.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:17 PM
yarberrymt
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You should be able to find one online or scrapyard.

Ebay is probably your easiest bet for a new assembly.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:17 PM
redzg
Melting Slicks

Received 665 Likes on 533 Posts

2000 should have the factory guide clips, so you should be able to get the belt out one small fraction at a time. Pull the belt, release a very small amount, repeat 5,434 times. Remove the belt and retractors from the car, extend the belt all the way from each retractor and use a small pin, hex key, or similar to lock the retractor with the belt all the way out. Give the retractor a good look -- any sign of corrosion or water damage? If so, Ebay, but watch for crap. I've bought two sets over time, one good and one with the yellow "belt must be replaced" labels exposed.
If the retractor looks good, a good cleaning of the belt helps a lot. My method was protracted and messy, but now the belts work well.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:44 PM
BMERETR
Keep The Shiny Sine Up
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

https://www.vettenuts.net/
Try these guys there great
Old 03-26-2018, 09:29 PM
bc6152
Drifting

Received 450 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by udmover
My 2000 coupe driver side seatbelt is stuck in the retracted position and just won't budge. Shop says I need a new retractor, which is unfortunately no longer manufactured OEM by GM. I think I can find a used one on eBay or similar, but does anyone know how to replace this part? I'm sure I'm not the only person to experience this! I can't find any video or page on how to access this part- For the first time in my memory, Google searches aren't helping! Any other ideas as well?

Here's a source for the part:

http://www.contemporarycorvette.com/
The following users liked this post:
SG Lou (03-28-2018)
Old 03-27-2018, 12:57 PM
WM-9c1
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got a pair of 100k mile '99 seatbelts if you need them shoot me a pm (not from a wreck)
Old 03-27-2018, 04:00 PM
WillItFloat
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I have not had a problem with my seat belts but if you Google "seat belt repair" there are several vendors that say they can fix anything.

Get notified of new replies

To Seat Belt Retractor OEM Not Available!

Quick Reply: Seat Belt Retractor OEM Not Available!