C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dexron VI

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 12:50 PM
98Corvette!
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 32 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Default Dexron VI

I have a 98 M6 and I went to my local Chevy dealer today (Hendrick Chevrolet), to inquire about a transmission fluid change. I was told by the Parts Department that Dexron III is no longer available from GM. I was told that Dexron VI has replaced Dexron III for . all applications. He showed me the bottle and it is a full synthetic fluid.The label states that it is safe for all Dexron II applications. I have read here numerous posts saying that synthetic is not correct for my year and could lead to damage. Anyone have any experience with Dexron VI?

BTW The service department admitted that they know little about older Corvettes. They offered to out source Dexron III if I so desired. My car has 82K and NO mods. To my knowledge the fluid has never been changed. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:56 PM
corvettebob1
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Corvette!
I have a 98 M6 and I went to my local Chevy dealer today (Hendrick Chevrolet), to inquire about a transmission fluid change. I was told by the Parts Department that Dexron III is no longer available from GM. I was told that Dexron VI has replaced Dexron III for . all applications. He showed me the bottle and it is a full synthetic fluid.The label states that it is safe for all Dexron II applications. I have read here numerous posts saying that synthetic is not correct for my year and could lead to damage. Anyone have any experience with Dexron VI?

BTW The service department admitted that they know little about older Corvettes. They offered to out source Dexron III if I so desired. My car has 82K and NO mods. To my knowledge the fluid has never been changed. Any help would be appreciated.

Dexron VI is designed to be backwards compatible with all Dexron fluids.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:10 PM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

I've done a drain and fill (twice) with AcDelco 88861800 Manual Transmission Fluid
Old 03-08-2018, 02:59 PM
GoldenFlame
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by corvettebob1
Dexron VI is designed to be backwards compatible with all Dexron fluids.
NO! Do not put Dexron VI in your Manual Transmission. It is stated by GM not to.. It is fine for the autos though.

Dexron III is being phased out as a product name. It is being renamed Manual Transmission Fluid and carries p/n 88861800 U.S. (88861801 Canada).

DO NOT use Dexron VI in place of manual transmission fluid in any manual transmissions or transfer cases that specify Dexron III, as a failure may result.

Last edited by GoldenFlame; 03-08-2018 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:31 PM
foggy
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Agree with above.. DON'T use Dex VI in manual trans...
You can get regular Dex/Merc Fluid still... Castrol and many others
still make it (non Synthetic).. The synthetic is bad for older C5 Manual Trans

Get notified of new replies

To Dexron VI

Quick Reply: Dexron VI