C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Won't turnover problem.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 04:59 PM
onebad95z
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Won't turnover problem.

Ok, I'm having a problem with my zo6. Sadly I've made it to the point to where it is now at the dealer! I have never taken any of the camaros or corvettes I've owned there. But I'm stumped. The zo6 has an iron block, tick performance transmission, evil performance reared, and is procharged. The dealer keeps bringing it up and I'm not sure it relates to the problem. I pulled up to the gas pump, put gas in car and then when I tried to start, it would turnover but not start. I towed it home, started checking fuel system because the fuel pump wasn't kicking on. I then read dic and erased. Since that time car will not even turnover. Starter is fine can turn motor over directly from starter so it's not the issue. I then changed out the ignition and removed the vats with my hp tuner. Still doing same thing. I checked all grounds, and now the dealer has as well. They are saying everything points to a bad bcm, but because of mods there not sure and the price is 1800 dollars. They also said the bcm has to be programmed to my car but my cars programming isn't factory so they are kinda lost. I see on forums bcm's for sale for a lot cheaper, but dealer is saying they can't program one unless it comes from them. Any knowledge on this would be appreciated and especially any knowledge on a bcm and how to program them. As of right now I'm ordering a vats key and going to put vats back in the pcm before anything else.

Last edited by onebad95z; 02-19-2018 at 05:00 PM. Reason: New title
Old 02-19-2018, 08:56 PM
Paul Wood
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

KISS. Keep It Simple Stupid! Same thing happened to me. I went through all sorts of diagnostics but finally did what I suggest to you. Mine turned out to be a loose connection on the negative battery side post. You did not mention battery health but that would be where I would start. BCMs can fail like that but likely it's something simple. Start from square one and be diligent about what you are doing. Good luck.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:01 PM
onebad95z
Instructor

Thank you for your suggestion. Yes all grounds including battery have been checked thoroughly by myself and the dealer. Battery is 6 months old so it's good.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:33 PM
Paul Wood
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Not to belabor the point but there are many instances where batteries were assumed good because they were new. Before I discount the possibility I would put a multimeter across the terminals. If you don't have at least 12.6 volts you need to charge the battery. Don't rely on the DIC as that is not battery voltage but rather alternator output. Be diligent and make sure you have good information before you move to more exotic solutions. Don't mean to sound condescending but I have seen very experienced mechanics miss simple fixes INCLUDING me!!
Old 02-19-2018, 09:40 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Please CHECK AND LIST THE DTCs.

I have a hunch is a corrupted serial data buss (which is easily resolvable) BUT,, I need to see the listed DTCs to be more sure.

The BS about not being able to program a BCM is WRONG!!

You cna program ANY BCM as long as its been synced with the PCM (handsake)

Bill
Old 02-19-2018, 09:54 PM
onebad95z
Instructor

The dealer said the code is 2721. Since that from my understanding can be do to vats, I ordered a new key and am going to install the vats back in with my hp tuner. I have checked the voltage and in winter it gets put on a battery tender. I can go directly to started and make the engine turnover just not with the ignition switch.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:56 PM
onebad95z
Instructor

Sad thing is I figured taking it to dealer it would happen, but because it's not stock they act as if it's an alien or something.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:05 AM
tondelayo
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Check fuse 14 under passenger side floor panel, bat volt, TDR

Check fuse 14 under the passenger side footwell.

I wasted a week of troubleshooting while I was getting a bad chest cold because I pulled that blown fuse and somehow did not replace it... it controls the starter motor circuit.

Battery voltage between battery + and - with negative terminal disconnected on a fully charged battery will be about 12.7V. Anything around 12.0V or less, charge the battery up fully.

Also, above the BCM in the footwell is the TDR, Theft Deterrent Relay. If you jumper between the red and purple large wires with #12 house wire at the bottom of the relay socket and it cranks, it may be a bad TDR. Easy to check. Google for images and locations.

Check the simple stuff you *assume* must be OK before *assuming* BCM or other deep, expensive problems as I did.

Hope this helps,
Sal

Originally Posted by onebad95z
Ok, I'm having a problem with my zo6. Sadly I've made it to the point to where it is now at the dealer! I have never taken any of the camaros or corvettes I've owned there. But I'm stumped. The zo6 has an iron block, tick performance transmission, evil performance reared, and is procharged. The dealer keeps bringing it up and I'm not sure it relates to the problem. I pulled up to the gas pump, put gas in car and then when I tried to start, it would turnover but not start. I towed it home, started checking fuel system because the fuel pump wasn't kicking on. I then read dic and erased. Since that time car will not even turnover. Starter is fine can turn motor over directly from starter so it's not the issue. I then changed out the ignition and removed the vats with my hp tuner. Still doing same thing. I checked all grounds, and now the dealer has as well. They are saying everything points to a bad bcm, but because of mods there not sure and the price is 1800 dollars. They also said the bcm has to be programmed to my car but my cars programming isn't factory so they are kinda lost. I see on forums bcm's for sale for a lot cheaper, but dealer is saying they can't program one unless it comes from them. Any knowledge on this would be appreciated and especially any knowledge on a bcm and how to program them. As of right now I'm ordering a vats key and going to put vats back in the pcm before anything else.
Attached Images  
Attached Images

Last edited by tondelayo; 02-20-2018 at 12:15 AM. Reason: adding images

Get notified of new replies

To Won't turnover problem.

Quick Reply: Won't turnover problem.