C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MGW shifter hard to get in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 10:14 PM
BeauVan
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default MGW shifter hard to get in reverse

Just installed and MGW shifter in my base C5 and I feel like reverse is very hard to engage....almost requires two hands. Car isnt running since its in storage for the winter, but the clutch was pushed in all the way. Car also shifted effortlessly with the stock unit so there wasn't an issue before. I also used the alignment tool and followed the videos to the letter.

Is there a lockout solenoid on our cars that would require the car to be on to make selecting reverse easier? Does it just need to break in? Should I try to retighten the t40 bolt on the shift rod?

just curious if those that have these shifters have run into this and could point me in the right direction.

Last edited by BeauVan; 02-10-2018 at 10:15 PM.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:22 PM
6spdg37s
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

c6 had a lockout solenoid , cant remember if my c5 did or not.

my sugestion is to start it and see if it is easier.
Old 02-10-2018, 11:47 PM
Garry_W_C5_1999
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

You need power on to release reverse lockout solenoid. It is very hard with power off as you are pushing against solenoid spring.
Old 02-27-2018, 02:49 PM
huesmann
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Have you done the anti venom mod?
Old 02-27-2018, 05:38 PM
Spaceme1117
Safety Car

Received 1,317 Likes on 889 Posts

C5 DOES have a reverse lock out. Car should be running to engage reverse. Also, with the MGW shifter, reverse will take a little bit more effort. Do the antivenom mod. This will make shifting all gears go easier. Just do a search on what to do.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:27 PM
JPEAK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BeauVan
Just installed and MGW shifter in my base C5 and I feel like reverse is very hard to engage....almost requires two hands. Car isnt running since its in storage for the winter, but the clutch was pushed in all the way. Car also shifted effortlessly with the stock unit so there wasn't an issue before. I also used the alignment tool and followed the videos to the letter.

Is there a lockout solenoid on our cars that would require the car to be on to make selecting reverse easier? Does it just need to break in? Should I try to retighten the t40 bolt on the shift rod?

just curious if those that have these shifters have run into this and could point me in the right direction.
Make sure that you torque down the bolts for the lower shifter box. Should be 25 ft lbs.

Old 02-27-2018, 11:04 PM
tnmotown
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the MGW shifter and it takes me a little effort to put into Reverse. Not bad, but more then the other gears. Usually when I back out of my garage, I put into 1st then reverse so it slides in easier.

Actually tomorrow I will be doing the anti-venom mod and see if that helps. I have 2 washers, but most likely just using 1.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:13 PM
killian96ss
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 259 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by tnmotown
I have the MGW shifter and it takes me a little effort to put into Reverse. Not bad, but more then the other gears. Usually when I back out of my garage, I put into 1st then reverse so it slides in easier.

Actually tomorrow I will be doing the anti-venom mod and see if that helps. I have 2 washers, but most likely just using 1.
Just do 1 washer, you'll really notice the difference going into every gear, not just reverse. I think 2 washers would be too much, might even let it pop out of gear.

Steve

Get notified of new replies

To MGW shifter hard to get in reverse

Quick Reply: MGW shifter hard to get in reverse