C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPIS Headers - Questions for Owners

Old 10-11-2002, 10:11 AM
Mark VerMurlen
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default TPIS Headers - Questions for Owners

Hi Everyone,

I'm have a gift certificate from TPIS, so I'm considering using it to buy a set of TPIS Long Tube headers. But first I have some questions to ask of people who already own them.

First, are you satisfied with them? For those who have had them on their car for a few years, how are they holding up? Do you see any signs of the ceramic coating coming off?

Is the clearance around the engine and engine bay good? Any problems with ground clearance? Any problems with burning spark plug wires?

I understand that there is an H pipe that comes with the headers that is welded to the stock cats. Is there also some type of slip fit from the header collector to the H pipe or is that welded too?

Did you install them yourself or have a shop do it? Any install tips you can pass along?

Thanks!

- Mark
Old 10-11-2002, 10:23 AM
Don&Kelly
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: TPIS Headers - Questions for Owners (Mark VerMurlen)

Thanks for posting this question - I'm interested in the answers too ..

:cool: :cheers: :smash: :seeya
Old 10-11-2002, 10:27 AM
vstella
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A great product! The install was 3-4 hours with 2 people. The ceramic coating is still in great shape after a year ..no leaks:D I pulled my cats so the h-pipe wasn't an issue..see pics of the install on my homepage.. :yesnod:
Old 10-11-2002, 10:28 AM
Quick Brick
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love mine so far, put them on this week w/ heads and cam. Fit is dead nuts on! Ceramic looks great I have had a lot of stuff Jet Hot coated and this looks as good. I dod not like the H it comes with kind of cheese :yesnod: I added a X pipe further back where the stock H went. I am flanging the collectors so I can still remove the system for maintanence. I dropped the cats and installed two dynomax bullets there in place. :seeya

[Modified by Quick Brick, 8:30 AM 10/11/2002]
Old 10-11-2002, 10:38 AM
ICULUKN-C5
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: TPIS Headers - Questions for Owners (Quick Brick)

with TPIS header you will cannot run MSD 8.5 mm wires. They will burn the spark plug boot. I found out the hard way. Also on the 01' you will have to get an x pipe, since your factory H pipe is about 1" too long.
I like my headers, but they weren't so easy on the 01'. Just my .02
Old 10-11-2002, 10:42 AM
vstella
Le Mans Master

Default Re: TPIS Headers - Questions for Owners (ICULUKN-C5)

with TPIS header you will cannot run MSD 8.5 mm wires. They will burn the spark plug boot. I found out the hard way. Also on the 01' you will have to get an x pipe, since your factory H pipe is about 1" too long.
I like my headers, but they weren't so easy on the 01'. Just my .02
....What he said! :yesnod:
Old 10-11-2002, 10:46 AM
mj3793
Instructor

I like mine , I had them on for a year with NO problems , the coating from JetHot is still in
great condition . I think for the price they the best out their if you don’t need a complete
system , you can buy an LS6 or a cam with the $600 you save over the other headers out
there .I am running them w/o cats . they sound good and you well get about 9-18HP
increase depending on other mods . go for it .
Old 10-11-2002, 10:50 AM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

I've had mine on since Feb 02' and I have no complaints.

I had no signs of ceramic coating coming off until I did a track event and then there were some burnt areas. Keep in mind you are running 8 20-30 minutes seesion at a track event at basically WOT.

clearance is excellant from the ground and in the engine bay.

I had a burnt wire after the install. we didn't use the factory sheilds and the MSD wires. I recomment you get a set of cool sox for wire no matter what type of header you have.

the H pipe does get welded to the cats. It slips into the headers for a free floating connection. This will enable you to remove the middle exhaust section (without welding) to get access to the torque tube tunnel. (for bleeding the clutch slave, or when you change clutch)

For a medium skilled mechanic like me, I would highly recommend installing them yourself. Ther is that welding issue that you will have to do at a welding shop. (I would just take the middle exhuast section & H pipe to them)

However if $300-350 for install is less painful then spending 3 hours working on your car then consider that.

Consider your options since you have the coupon for TPIS. Pay $1000-1400 for other headers or get TPIS, you still have the installation issues with any header. The only install diff between headers is the welding issues.

Keep in mind that headers work together with your other modifications to produce HP. I only got 16 rwhp from mine (with an X pipe) but I had a fair amount of bolts ons before the headers. Now I've done heads & cam and expect the headers to work much better with the whole package.
Old 10-11-2002, 10:53 AM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Re: TPIS Headers - Questions for Owners (ICULUKN-C5)

with TPIS header you will cannot run MSD 8.5 mm wires.
I have MSD 8.5's with mine, but you should have cool sox on them also.
Old 10-11-2002, 11:05 AM
tabbruzz
Safety Car

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Mikie C would be a good person to talk to. He had the TPIS, but the air tubes cracked off and he had to get them repaired. They do produce gains on a stock motor which is nice. He since then went to the SLP headers and likes them a lot better. They are stainless steel and coated headers. Depending on the year of your car they may or may not need welding. The 97-99s do not need to be welded. I just put the SLPs on my stock motor and I really like them a lot. I need to get to the track though to see about the gains. I won't tell you there are gains until I test it at the track. Mikie C did all his testing and he gained 1 1/2 tenths over the TPIS headers. TBYRNE has awesome prices on the SLPs. I believe they are $699. You will need to get their H-down pipe and I recommend SLPs installation kit. The total package should be under $1000 with those 3 items and you can do the install yourself to save some money. Good luck on with your decision....Tony
Old 10-11-2002, 11:14 AM
JerryL
Drifting

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: TPIS Headers - Questions for Owners (tabbruzz)

I've had them on my 02 for a year - no issues. I also had them on my 01. I'm running an X-pipe so can't comment on the H pipe. One thing to watch out for, on both installations TPIS sent the wrong parts to my installer (Tony's Corvette Shop). They resolved the problem quickly but it caused un-necessary delays.
Old 10-11-2002, 11:20 AM
90 droptop
Melting Slicks

Default Re: TPIS Headers - Questions for Owners (JerryL)

The only complaint I have it's what has been stated above. The square h-pipe that comes with it is junk and I did not like the slip fit. Mine is now flanged in. They look nice and make power.
Old 10-11-2002, 12:52 PM
dbvettez06
Melting Slicks

No problems with mine they have been on for a year..The weight savings, especially on an 01 is great..They do make good hp and tq ...Good choice in my opinion.. :cheers:
Old 10-11-2002, 01:37 PM
robiferretti
Drifting

Default Re: TPIS Headers - Questions for Owners (dbvettez06)

I have them and could see a difference, well worth the $ :cheers:
Old 10-11-2002, 03:37 PM
HGlide82
Drifting

I've had them o my car for a week and love them. They definitly have a nice sound and I have also noticed a SOTP increase in power. The revs seem to come up faster and now I always get a rubber going into third (while just a week ago I really had to shift fast to get any kind of chrip in third).
Old 10-11-2002, 03:42 PM
HGlide82
Drifting

Default Re: TPIS Headers - Questions for Owners (HGlide82)

Oh and as for the install, my brother and I did everything but weld up the H-Pipe. The install is straight forward, but some tips I can offer would be to use a 2x4 to pry the engine up alittle to give you more room to work with, and you don't need to remove the fuel line or move the steering column. The H-pipe ended up causing the most problems, it took the guy nearly 3 hours to weld it in because it wouldn't align up right. If I had it to do over again I would just get a aftermarket X-Pipe to go with the TPIS LT's.
Old 10-11-2002, 06:36 PM
vettvert
Drifting

Default Re: TPIS Headers - Questions for Owners (HGlide82)

No problem with the MSD's, as long as KoolSox are on as well! I also had a small leak develop on top where the small tubes are located. I don't know if these are called the air tubes or not. The Vette Doctors Mig Welded the holes with no problems for now. The proper fix will be to remuve the engine from the car but that will have to wait until a few more mods are forthcoming! :cheers: :eek:
Old 10-12-2002, 01:03 AM
QuickSilver2002
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: TPIS Headers - Questions for Owners (vettvert)

I like mine... They were pretty easy to install and I have had no problems with the H-Pipe that sits in front of the cats. It leaked a little at first when cold, but has now sealed well.

Install TIP:You must take off the valve cover, alternator, lower steering shaft bolt, and oil filter on the driver side to get them in from the top. Look at the bolt pattern on the header when removing the stock manifold. There is one bolt that is pretty much hidden. Start with the passenger side, it is much easier. Also, plan on having some earplugs handy if you drive to a shop with open headers to have the welding done. It is louder than you can imagine.

[Modified by QuickSilver2002, 5:05 AM 10/12/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To TPIS Headers - Questions for Owners

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TPIS Headers - Questions for Owners