C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Column Lock

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 01:51 PM
GilHuli
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Column Lock

99 Vette started showing this error yesterday. I checked the post and looked at the BCM. Looks like the recall parts were installed already. My column is not locking even with the key removed. Car will not accelerate over 2 mph. Is there a fix before I tow it to the dealership?
Old 09-18-2017, 02:08 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
LMC5 and do the "brown wire mod described on page 2 of the install instructions as optional".

www.complianceparts.com
Old 09-18-2017, 02:54 PM
GilHuli
5th Gear

Default Service Column Lock

I wasn't sure if a LMC5 would work if it already had the recall parts on it. The car is a garage queen and only has 27,000 original miles on it so I didn't know that the recall parts would have failed so quickly. After reading all of the post and seeing the many different possibilities from low battery to ignition switch or pellet key malfunctions, I was ready to tow it to my local dealership. I've ordered the LMC5 and will post the results after I get it installed. Thank you for your help!
Old 09-18-2017, 03:19 PM
feeder82
Melting Slicks

Received 987 Likes on 626 Posts

none of GMs fixes work for this problem, the dealership is a waste of time and money. the 2 posters above are the experts on this problem
Old 09-18-2017, 09:07 PM
GilHuli
5th Gear

Thanks for the help. I actually took the battery out and had it tested. Readings were 12.7 volts. After I reinstalled it I let it trickle charge to 100%. Still getting error. Hopefully the bypass module will do the trick. It's great knowing I have people like you out there to willing to give me advice. I'm very appreciative.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:31 PM
namvet6869
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Had same problem with my 2000. Did the lmc5 and your problem occurred. Did the brown wire fix and problem fixed
Old 09-19-2017, 04:54 PM
Deuce 132
Heel & Toe

Just did the LMC5 fix today. If you have any problems, Richard at Compliance is there to help. Great customer service.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:03 AM
GilHuli
5th Gear

Default Still having issues after LMC5 installation

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Several other possibilities that could cause your symptoms.

If a GM K Harness was installed it could have fried due to low battery voltage:

This would prevent the column lock system from operating correctly.

The lock motor could be hung up and not responding correctly to the BCM lock/unlock commands. Even though the column does not physically lock the BCM continues to send lock and unlock commands to the lock motor and expects back responses to every command it sends. Lack of a response causes the BCM to "assume" the column may be locked when it should be unlocked and therefore request the 2mph fuel shutoff be enabled by the PCM, This is intended to prevent an inattentive driver from trying to drive a car with a possibly locked column.

Fuse #23 could be blown.

Column Lock Relay (a separate relay from the GM K Harness relay) could be hung up or fried.

ALL of these conditions except fuse 23 (IP Fuse Box) are overcome by the LMC5 which installs at the BCM and abandons all factory and recall wiring down stream of the BCM.

The LMC5 is connected in place of the lock motor and from that point on receives the BCM commands and responds back to those commands fooling the BCM into thinking the column lock system is operating correctly. The BCM has no direct knowledge of whether the column is physically locked or not and relies on a command response protocol to keep track of the state of the column based on its commands. For this reason it is easy for the BCM to get out of sync with the actual state.
I installed the LMC5 and had no "service column lock" or "pull key error" for the first couple of key turns but after around four tries they came back. I pulled the key and waited and they didn't show back up for after another four or five turns. I took the car out for a test drive and it ran fine, although I have noticed it's idling a little rougher than normal. I ran an errand and when I jumped back in and started to pull away it shut down and the pull key error was displaying. I pulled the key and waited and then it started and I drove back home. I did notice the battery voltage on the DIC was at 11 volts. I had the battery tested and even trickle charged it overnight to make sure it was fully charged. Not sure if it's related but a few months ago a tire sensor monitor error appeared on the DIC but went away on it's own and the tire pressure readings showed correct readouts. Any thoughts?
Old 09-22-2017, 10:12 PM
GilHuli
5th Gear

Default Service column lock

I just did the brown wire trick and am happy to report no further trouble. Thanks for the help!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Steering Column Lock

Quick Reply: Steering Column Lock