C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new ignition key (spare key)

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 11:39 PM
kg54trains
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default new ignition key (spare key)

Lose a spare ignition key for my c5(1998) coupe.. Is the dealership my only recourse for the replacement.. The key has a small metal chip bulit in to it that I assume is a dealer related item.. Anybody have gotten a new key and what was the cost of this service
Old 07-14-2017, 01:06 AM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by kg54trains
Lose a spare ignition key for my c5(1998) coupe.. Is the dealership my only recourse for the replacement.. The key has a small metal chip bulit in to it that I assume is a dealer related item.. Anybody have gotten a new key and what was the cost of this service
The chip is a resistor, it needs to be measured so you can get the right key. I don't have the chart on my cell, but EBay key sellers do. Then get a bonded locksmith (or dealer if you wish) to cut you a new one from your VIN (not a copy from an existing worn key). IIRC I paid around $100, but that's living in Canada.
Old 07-14-2017, 12:03 PM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Once you have the resistance of the chip measured with your multimeter, go on ebay and look up GM and Chevrolet blank "VATS" keys (double-sided, picture should look like your existing key). ~$10 for an OEM key blank shipped.

Then take the blank key to your Chevy dealership- they'll either cut it for you for free (which they did for me) or charge you a few bucks.

Here's the correct VATS table once you measure your resitance, to lookup the VATS #:

Last edited by ArmchairArchitect; 07-14-2017 at 12:05 PM.
Old 07-14-2017, 06:57 PM
C5inWV
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

My local locksmith /key store had it in stock. It was less than $30.
Old 07-15-2017, 05:51 AM
Grandpa1
Burning Brakes

Received 271 Likes on 154 Posts

I recently purchased a 2003 Vert with just one key. Dealer said bring the VIN and they could make me a new key. Took the VIN in and got the key the next day.
$34.00.
Any GM dealer, not just Chevy.

Get notified of new replies

To new ignition key (spare key)

Quick Reply: new ignition key (spare key)