C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best brake pads?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2002, 08:42 PM
VFRLuke
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Best brake pads?

I'm thinking about getting into a brake job this week. I'm not wanting to go with anything expensive, just thinking about getting the rotors turned and slapping on some new pads.

You guys think that I should go with OEM pads, performance friction or what? I've always used NAPA gold pads on everything else I've ever had, but I've never had a vette before.

Thanks in advance
Luke
Old 09-29-2002, 10:18 PM
Bill Reid
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Best brake pads? (VFRLuke)

Recommend the 02 Z06 pad :yesnod:

:cheers:
Old 09-30-2002, 01:44 PM
Mike99C5HT
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Best brake pads? (billreid1@***.net)

Several forum members, including myself, have gone with the Raybestos Quiet Stop Ceramic pads. They're available at Pep Boys for about $75 for the fronts.

They're great in every way. They seem to fade less than the stock pads plus they throw almost zero dust. :cheers:
Old 09-30-2002, 01:51 PM
MelloYellow
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Best brake pads? (Mike99C5HT)

Best Street Pad is the PFC Z by FAR. Try them.
Old 10-01-2002, 03:02 AM
Richin Chicago
Safety Car

Several forum members, including myself, have gone with the Raybestos Quiet Stop Ceramic pads. They're available at Pep Boys for about $75 for the fronts.

They're great in every way. They seem to fade less than the stock pads plus they throw almost zero dust. :cheers:
I have to respectfully disagree on the fade part. From what I have seen they fade pretty quickly on the track.
Old 10-01-2002, 04:24 AM
Instructor

Default Re: Best brake pads? (VFRLuke)

I am very pleased with my Raybestos!

Mikael
:) :) :)
Old 10-01-2002, 09:23 AM
G 99
Racer

Default Re: Best brake pads? (MelloYellow)

Where can you buy these pads?

Best Street Pad is the PFC Z by FAR. Try them.
:confused:

Thanks
Old 10-01-2002, 10:28 AM
Richin Chicago
Safety Car

Default Re: Best brake pads? (Chandlerdah)

Where can you buy these pads?

Best Street Pad is the PFC Z by FAR. Try them. :confused:

Thanks
http://nationalfleetparts.com/

Old 10-01-2002, 02:07 PM
Mike99C5HT
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Best brake pads? (Richin Chicago)

I have to respectfully disagree on the fade part. From what I have seen they fade pretty quickly on the track.
Interesting. I had the car to the track before and after the QS pads and noticed a lot less fade than with the stock pads. The thing I like the most about these pads is that even after a hard track day, the wheels still look clean and there isn't much mess to clean up.
Old 10-01-2002, 03:13 PM
Richin Chicago
Safety Car

Interesting. I had the car to the track before and after the QS pads and noticed a lot less fade than with the stock pads. The thing I like the most about these pads is that even after a hard track day, the wheels still look clean and there isn't much mess to clean up.
We had a fellow that actually changed to Hawks during our track day because the stopping distance kept getting longer. We also had a Raybestos guy at one of our club meetings. (They are just up the road from us.) He was fairly emphatic that this is not a good performing compound at high temperature. I still believe if you want lots of brakes you are going to make lots of dust. Something has to give.

Old 10-01-2002, 03:38 PM
Mark JD
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Many folks I talked with at Corvettes @ Carlisle this past August, swear by the HAWK PERFORMANCE pads! :yesnod:
Haven't got them yet myself, but just may. They said that the dusting was minimal too... quite a concern when you have YELLOW RIMS :smash: :smash: !!!
:lol: :cheers: :lol:
Old 10-01-2002, 05:16 PM
G 99
Racer

What is the difference between the carbon metatlic and the Z pads? The price is about double for the z's.

Thanks
Old 10-04-2002, 11:39 AM
G 99
Racer

Default Re: Best brake pads? (Chandlerdah)

Carbon metallic or Z's...what's the difference.
Old 10-04-2002, 12:58 PM
Richin Chicago
Safety Car

Default Re: Best brake pads? (Chandler)

Carbon metallic or Z's...what's the difference.
Well the performance Friction Website is pretty lame and doesn't really give you much info but the following was in the message area:

Z pads seem require roughly half the pedal force for the same stopping distances as OEM and aftermarket semi and full metallics after the metallics have been applied several times.

Z pads seem to stop as quickly cold as they do after they have been applied several times. Forget trying to stop UNTIL the metallics have been applied several times.

After many thousands of miles of using Z pads, the rotor area does NOT look like a brake lathe as it would using the matallic pads. With metallic pads, the rotor area is covered with rotor and pad material unlike Z pad apps. It's amazing to see how long it takes for the Z pads to wear off the rotor machine marks!

I am basing this post on my "living with" my 85 MB 300D, 85 1/2T 2wd 5.0L gas F150, 85 3/4T (heavy) 4wd 6.2L diesel Suburban and 86 1/2T 2wd 6.2L diesel Suburban. I am also using them on 95 thru 2001 1t SuperDuty (actually 1 1/4T) Dodge Cummins Turbo diesel flatbeds at one of my Customers. This is by NO means all the vehicles I have either installed them or recommended their use.

In summary, Z pads are the best performing pads (from ALL aspects) I have seen in my 38 years of experience.

Old 10-04-2002, 01:46 PM
G 99
Racer

Thanks Rich...I'm going to order the Z's. BTW, how much dust should I expect with mostly street use? :cheers:
Old 10-04-2002, 02:03 PM
Richin Chicago
Safety Car

Default Re: Best brake pads? (Chandler)

Thanks Rich...I'm going to order the Z's. BTW, how much dust should I expect with mostly street use? :cheers:
Chandler,

I can't really tell you as I had a set but sold them. I do a lot of track time and have decided to stay with EBC redstuff pads for both the street and track. They are good enough on the street so that I don't switch back and forth anymore.

My rule of thumb is big stops mean big dust. Something has to give, particularly if you want a pad that will operate at elevated temperatures. You could go the other way with Raybestos ceramic that don't dust but both the Raybestos guy and my observations on the track say they don't do elevated temperatures well.
Old 10-05-2002, 12:17 AM
MelloYellow
Le Mans Master

The PFC Z's do dust, but not as bad as the Hawks for SURE.
The dust is a lighter color. Somewhere close to stock dust, maybe a touch more. Should be less than '02 Z06 dust.

The dust is the best compromise I've seen.
Wash the car once a week and you'll be ok.
Old 10-05-2002, 12:47 AM
G 99
Racer

Default Re: Best brake pads? (MelloYellow)

Thanks Mello...

BTW, where can I find the best price on these. The sites I've seen have the set for about $180.

Get notified of new replies

To Best brake pads?

Quick Reply: Best brake pads?