C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic Radiator With An Manual Trans

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 10:22 PM
jarnold
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Automatic Radiator With An Manual Trans

I purchased a new radiator and it has the coolant ports for the Automatic Trans. I have a T56 Manual Trans. I have got info back on how to deal with them but cannot find it now. I think I was told by the supplier I can use it but just have to put plugs in the ports. But one person said to put plugs in with small holes in them to let them breath?

Any suggestions?

Last edited by jarnold; 05-15-2017 at 10:23 PM.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:47 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

send it back and get the right one if you can... one from an auto will work but you are wasting cooling capacity by having a smaller core since some of it is used up by the trans cooler which you won't be using... if you end up using it you can just plug the holes up... I've never heard of plugging them up and poking holes in the plugs, seems counterproductive to me
Old 05-15-2017, 11:47 PM
foggy
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

You shouldn;t even have to plug the holes..
Its just the transmission fluid circuit inside.. So not worries.
That being said, you do lose a "bit" of coolant capacity..
But you don't really need it.. An Auto Car would be putting more heat into
it and they cool just fine.
The following users liked this post:
Jakes78 (10-26-2020)
Old 05-16-2017, 02:11 PM
TastyBacon
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by foggy
You shouldn;t even have to plug the holes.
This. My manual radiator got replaced by an automatic one at some point. No difference in performance. Just connect the upper and lower coolant hoses, same as your old one, and ignore the trans cooler ports.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:41 PM
jarnold
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Just hook it up!

Originally Posted by TastyBacon
This. My manual radiator got replaced by an automatic one at some point. No difference in performance. Just connect the upper and lower coolant hoses, same as your old one, and ignore the trans cooler ports.
Thanks for the info. This is what I thought.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:04 AM
redzg
Melting Slicks

Received 665 Likes on 533 Posts

Since the manual is noted for heat problems under hard use, why not plumb from the manual? Might take a pump I suppose, but that shouldn't be terribly difficult.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:54 AM
v8srfun
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 123 Posts

Almost all aftermarket oem replacement radiators are designed to work with both auto and manual transmissions. This is done to help reduce part numbers and cost. Matter of fact I have replaced many radiators and the only ones that I can remember not having the automatic cooler is if someone spent stupid money on a oem radiator or if they bought a large capacity performance radiator.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:02 AM
v8srfun
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by neutron82
send it back and get the right one if you can... one from an auto will work but you are wasting cooling capacity by having a smaller core since some of it is used up by the trans cooler which you won't be using... if you end up using it you can just plug the holes up... I've never heard of plugging them up and poking holes in the plugs, seems counterproductive to me
This is not true at all. First of all the at cooler is in the end tank and does not effect the size of the core. Plus being that the at cooler is in the end tank it slightly reduces the amount of coolant in the tank and puts the coolant in contact with more surface area. So the tanks have less volume and more surface area allowing them to cool faster by not heat soaking from a large dense amount of coolant. Your theory would only be true if the cooler itself was reduced in size but it is not.
The following users liked this post:
Jakes78 (10-26-2020)
Old 03-22-2024, 08:10 AM
slavo_s2k
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I came across the same problem , the topic have 7 years so probably the knowledge of users in this area is greater. I have a C5 MT and a damaged radiator, I live in Poland, here there is no chance to get an OEM radiator for MT, do I actually buy the version for AT and plug the extra hole and not to worry?

Greetings from Poland and I apologise for any grammar mistakes - english is not my first language
Old 03-22-2024, 11:27 AM
TastyBacon
Pro

Originally Posted by slavo_s2k
I came across the same problem , the topic have 7 years so probably the knowledge of users in this area is greater. I have a C5 MT and a damaged radiator, I live in Poland, here there is no chance to get an OEM radiator for MT, do I actually buy the version for AT and plug the extra hole and not to worry?

Greetings from Poland and I apologise for any grammar mistakes - english is not my first language
Your English is quite good! There is no need to plug any extra holes. Just install the automatic radiator the same as your old one and enjoy
Old 03-22-2024, 11:52 AM
slavo_s2k
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TastyBacon
Your English is quite good! There is no need to plug any extra holes. Just install the automatic radiator the same as your old one and enjoy
Thanks!

So this is a separate fluid circuit and can be opened?
Old 03-22-2024, 12:47 PM
TastyBacon
Pro

Originally Posted by slavo_s2k
Thanks!

So this is a separate fluid circuit and can be opened?
Yes, exactly. No extra steps required.
Old 03-22-2024, 02:33 PM
redzg
Melting Slicks

Received 665 Likes on 533 Posts

To help put your mind at ease, the GM specific matched part number replacement has the transmission cooler built in. There is no longer a GM manual transmission only radiator.

Get notified of new replies

To Automatic Radiator With An Manual Trans

Quick Reply: Automatic Radiator With An Manual Trans