C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 air conditioning

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 08:49 PM
ehuron
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 98 air conditioning

I've replaced my entire AC system (all components). Compressor (2) were AC Delco oem (not remans). I've changed the orifice twice. Still can't get the low side below 60. High side is fine. Low side stays at about 60 steady, which I believe suggests a blockage. I did notice that there was an orifice that was $42.00 available. What makes a stock $2.00 orifice worth $42.00. Only thing I haven't tried was the old R12. Anyone have this problem after replacing their AC system even though I used all GM OEM parts?
Old 04-25-2017, 11:29 PM
ehuron
Advanced

Default 98 air conditioning

Originally Posted by ehuron
I've replaced my entire AC system (all components). Compressor (2) were AC Delco oem (not remans). I've changed the orifice twice. Still can't get the low side below 60. High side is fine. Low side stays at about 60 steady, which I believe suggests a blockage. I did notice that there was an orifice that was $42.00 available. What makes a stock $2.00 orifice worth $42.00. Only thing I haven't tried was the old R12. Anyone have this problem after replacing their AC system even though I used all GM OEM parts?
I forgot to mention, ac blows cold going down the highway but barely cool in traffic. Won't get below 65 at vent.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:52 PM
PDQC5
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have you checked the condenser to see if the fins are plugged up? I didn't realize how bad they plugged up until I removed the radiator and tried to look thru it
Old 04-26-2017, 10:02 PM
ehuron
Advanced

Originally Posted by PDQC5
Have you checked the condenser to see if the fins are plugged up? I didn't realize how bad they plugged up until I removed the radiator and tried to look thru it
yes. everything (all parts) are new.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:10 AM
92GA
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by ehuron
yes. everything (all parts) are new.
Sounds like it may be over charged. Did you evacuate and weigh in the charge? Or just dump some gas in? The more gas you put in the higher the suction pressure will get, until it get liquid logged, then it won't work at all. Remember the compressor won't pump liquid and it will lock up.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:39 PM
ehuron
Advanced

Originally Posted by 92GA
Sounds like it may be over charged. Did you evacuate and weigh in the charge? Or just dump some gas in? The more gas you put in the higher the suction pressure will get, until it get liquid logged, then it won't work at all. Remember the compressor won't pump liquid and it will lock up.
Yes we have checked. I'm having this done with an ac tech. He has all the required equipment. We've installed the exact amount, a little over, and a little under. Just can't get the low side under 60lbs.

Get notified of new replies

To 98 air conditioning

Quick Reply: 98 air conditioning