C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Flywheel with Monster Stage 2?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 10:42 PM
footballplaya3k
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Flywheel with Monster Stage 2?

My clutch is going out and I've decided to go with a Monster Stage 2. What I haven't decided is whether to go with their 18lb or 28lb flywheel. Anyone have experience with the lighter flywheel?

I've read the Monster clutch with the lightweight is only a few pounds pounds less than stock compared to being more than stock with the heavier flywheel. I wouldn't think the lightweight flywheel could hurt driveability but I'm looking for opinions.

Btw 04 Z06 that's daily driven.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:13 PM
SPEED750
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I have the 18lb flywheel in my 97. I would recommend the heavier one. With the lighter one , the car can be a little jerky at low rpm (under 1000).
Old 04-22-2017, 11:22 PM
footballplaya3k
Heel & Toe

That's what I'm worried about.... I've heard about more vibrations and noise at idle too, have you experienced that?
Old 04-23-2017, 11:47 AM
SPEED750
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Well it was in the car when I bought it. It's not noisier than stock, I don't think. The heavier one will be easier to drive at low speeds and getting off the line. I had a 92 with the factory dual mass flywheel that weighed 45lbs. That's a lot of rotating mass ! Made it easy to get off the line.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:14 AM
jimmyLSX
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

If a monster clutch is what your gonna put in then I would go with the lighter flywheel, if its a z06 or you have rear gears greater then 3.42s, if its a normal C5 with stock rear end then heavier flywheel would be my choice. The MN12 1st short gear makes it easy getting off the line with a lighter flywheel. I have a stage 2 with the lighter flywheel and I believe I only saved 3-4 lbs compared to stock. A buddy had the stock weight with a stage 2, engine wasnt really rev match happy.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:29 AM
footballplaya3k
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by jimmyLSX
If a monster clutch is what your gonna put in then I would go with the lighter flywheel, if its a z06 or you have rear gears greater then 3.42s, if its a normal C5 with stock rear end then heavier flywheel would be my choice. The MN12 1st short gear makes it easy getting off the line with a lighter flywheel. I have a stage 2 with the lighter flywheel and I believe I only saved 3-4 lbs compared to stock. A buddy had the stock weight with a stage 2, engine wasnt really rev match happy.
That's a good point, I imagine the shorter gearing makes a decent difference. How long have you had the Monster and flywheel? Any complaints or differences from stock?
Old 04-24-2017, 02:20 AM
jimmyLSX
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

2 years and 5-6k miles on it, but I abuse it alot. Its okay not fantastic no complaints, but If I ever had to swap out the clutch ever again I would gladly pay a few hundred more and get a twin disc. Driven four corvettes with twin discs 1 act, 2 rsts, 1 rxt. The RSTs were really smooth with clutch engagement, with a stock master. Not putting down monster but If you plan on running the stock clutch master cylinder then I suggest a twin disc. My buddy who had the heavier flywheel always had engagement problems went through 2 gm master cylinders then onto a napa they all leaked. The clutch measured that it didn't need a shim but we put one anyways and that fixed his engagement issues. He ran another napa MC never leaked again. But his slave cylinder ended up failing a few months after, destroying his clutch in the process, he misses the monster he has a LS7 in it and isnt a fan of it. My clutch is fine I have an aftermarket clutch MC and it is significantly stiffer then a stock MC with a monster. Also if memory serves me correct my stock pressure plate weighed 21.5 the monster pp weighed 23.5 the clutch disc on both weighed 5.5 lbs and my stock flywheel weighed 23lbs where the monster lighter flywheel weighed 19 lbs. I only saved 3 lbs over stock.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:09 PM
DetroitPlac
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 85 Posts

I just installed a Monster LT1-S (C7 stock PP and disks, which is twin disk) with the lightweight flywheel and it's awesome. Only downside is a little more noise at idle, but it's hardly noticeable. Easy to drive, revs quickly, it's great.

Last edited by DetroitPlac; 04-24-2017 at 12:11 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:50 PM
footballplaya3k
Heel & Toe

I haven't really considered a twin disk because it seemed way overkill for my car but if it keeps my car driving like close to stock I'll definitely look into it.
I also considered the Tick adjuster MC but after reading how much stiffer it makes the clutch I decided it's not for me.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:09 PM
DetroitPlac
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by footballplaya3k
I haven't really considered a twin disk because it seemed way overkill for my car but if it keeps my car driving like close to stock I'll definitely look into it.
I also considered the Tick adjuster MC but after reading how much stiffer it makes the clutch I decided it's not for me.
I was in the same boat until I heard about the LT1-S clutch. It's awesome.

Get notified of new replies

To What Flywheel with Monster Stage 2?

Quick Reply: What Flywheel with Monster Stage 2?