C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should my first Corvette be a 1999 C5

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 11:36 PM
Corpsman
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Should my first Corvette be a 1999 C5

I am looking at a 1999 C5 with 152,000 miles. It had 2 owners both older men 50+ who took great care of it. The C5 is at a corvette only seller/mechanic who took it in on trade for one of his restored stingrays. He replaced rear seal, head gasket, and well basically all the seals on the engine top and bottom; he said it was leaking. He has a laundry list of maintenance done since he is the one who serviced it for the owner for the last 7 years. The transmission is automatic and rebuilt within the last 10,000 miles. He says with confidence that it will run for another 100,000 miles without any major problems. The paint is perfect original and the only place I saw rust was at the sway bar in the back where the rubber bushing comes into contact with it; just a powdery rust not all pitted. Took pictures of the entire underbelly. He also said he took care of the fuel shutoff steering lock issue himself and stated never take it to a dealer; learn to do it myself or bring it back to him for any issues. Oil sending unit replaced. New balancer that is better than oem and their shitty rubber or plastic back piece.
So is it likely this car will give me another 100,000 miles of relatively headache free ownership?
I have zero interest in racing or beating on the car; I just like to be able to jet out from a light and choose my lane and pass the turtles with ease on the freeway.
Any and all advice is welcome and please I want the knowledge of this community bestowed upon me.

Only thing I could find that looked iffy.I see that rear seal and will ask about it. That rust though.Thinking normal and easy to replace or clean up.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:20 AM
92GA
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
Oldtimer

Well I bought my 1st Corvette 6 years ago Feb. 99 Corvette Vert with 120,000 miles, it did need some TLC, but I got it right. Most issues have been taken care of except the memory function for the telescoping wheel, which I don't use. I rebuilt the seats 3 years ago right after I retired. It's got 146,000 on it now and is still a very good car. I wouldn't take what I paid for it 6 years ago.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:25 PM
twokbolt
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

You can replace the front and rear sway bars and the bushings yourself for about 250 bucks. Will tighten up your ride nicely.
Old 04-16-2017, 06:03 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 487 Likes on 371 Posts

Although it sounds ( from reading ) that a good portion of issues on high mileage cars has been performed there are a couple of things to be aware of when purchasing a 97 thru 99 model C5.

Steering Wheel Position Sensor and Electronic Brake Control Module aka: ECBM are no longer available new. If they go bad used is your only option as the ECBM is not repairable.
I'm not saying they will go bad 2 weeks or months into owning the car and I'm not trying to scare or sway you from purchasing this 99 but it's something to keep in the back of your mind. There are many out there with no problems at all.
Good Luck with what ever you decide !

Helpful info for C5 buyers....they are a MUST READ !

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ion-files.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...must-read.html
Old 04-17-2017, 07:11 PM
Tttiger
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just bought an 01 convertible with 143K and an unknown history. I knew it needed some work but turned out easier than I thought it would be. I replaced the leaking valve cover gaskets, changed all the fluids, replaced the shifter, tightened the steering shaft and replaced the oil pressure sender. I took all the carpet out and thoroughly shampooed them. i cleaned and treated the seats.

It now runs great and I plan on driving it!

With what has been done to the one you're looking to buy, I'd say you have many miles of fun ahead. Los of power and torque, be careful!

Old 04-17-2017, 07:59 PM
TGO
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SG Lou
Although it sounds ( from reading ) that a good portion of issues on high mileage cars has been performed there are a couple of things to be aware of when purchasing a 97 thru 99 model C5.

Steering Wheel Position Sensor and Electronic Brake Control Module aka: ECBM are no longer available new. If they go bad used is your only option as the ECBM is not repairable.
I'm not saying they will go bad 2 weeks or months into owning the car and I'm not trying to scare or sway you from purchasing this 99 but it's something to keep in the back of your mind. There are many out there with no problems at all.
Good Luck with what ever you decide !

Helpful info for C5 buyers....they are a MUST READ !

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ion-files.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...must-read.html
Isn't there a company that repairs the EBCM now? They also sell refurb units IIRC.

I wouldn't give a damn about that rusty sway bar. It's fine. Even if you replace it the new one is gonna rust in the same spot eventually.

It's just from the bushing wearing through the paint.

Last edited by TGO; 04-17-2017 at 08:00 PM.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:01 PM
Frank Macnak
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Corpsman
I am looking at a 1999 C5 with 152,000 miles. It had 2 owners both older men 50+ who took great care of it. The C5 is at a corvette only seller/mechanic who took it in on trade for one of his restored stingrays. He replaced rear seal, head gasket, and well basically all the seals on the engine top and bottom; he said it was leaking. He has a laundry list of maintenance done since he is the one who serviced it for the owner for the last 7 years. The transmission is automatic and rebuilt within the last 10,000 miles. He says with confidence that it will run for another 100,000 miles without any major problems. The paint is perfect original and the only place I saw rust was at the sway bar in the back where the rubber bushing comes into contact with it; just a powdery rust not all pitted. Took pictures of the entire underbelly. He also said he took care of the fuel shutoff steering lock issue himself and stated never take it to a dealer; learn to do it myself or bring it back to him for any issues. Oil sending unit replaced. New balancer that is better than oem and their shitty rubber or plastic back piece.
So is it likely this car will give me another 100,000 miles of relatively headache free ownership?
I have zero interest in racing or beating on the car; I just like to be able to jet out from a light and choose my lane and pass the turtles with ease on the freeway.
Any and all advice is welcome and please I want the knowledge of this community bestowed upon me.

Only thing I could find that looked iffy.I see that rear seal and will ask about it. That rust though.Thinking normal and easy to replace or clean up.
My first Vette was a 99 and I still have it. I got it with 44K miles. I have about 51k on it now. It's been a great car. I replaced the sway bar end links because they were clunky. I put metal ZO6 ends.

I also replaced the hoses and water pump as I had a bit of a leak.
I've replaced the turn signal stalk as the lights stopped coming up.

I'm having an issue with my oil level sensor. Overall it's been nickel and dime stuff but I figure that isn't bad for a 18yo car. Parts are reasonable and I've never felt like it was going to put me in the poor house.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:03 PM
crazybird
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I love my 99 vert. Bought it last summer and haven't had any issues. 3 owner car(2 where dealers) with 26000 mi on the clock. Only problem I have is trying not to spend to much money on mods. lol

Get notified of new replies

To Should my first Corvette be a 1999 C5

Quick Reply: Should my first Corvette be a 1999 C5