C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Z06 180 degree header build thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 05:28 PM
CFHay
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Tinmatt
It does sound ever so nice yet I'm hoping for more. I'm not sure what is off in it's sound to my ears, maybe they weren't equal length.
Could them being made of inconel play a part in that sound?

Also a bandaide fix for the photobucket problem is to use the photobucket hotlink fix extension, I'm sure it will be patched at some point and not work but at this time it allows us to view hotlinked photos.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:34 PM
Phimosis
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fantastic build! Sounds and looks amazing!

I ran into this thread because I was watching a Madram video of Southern Rock Racing and one of the buggies sounded like a small block with 180 headers and I started googling to find him. This came up along the way and I love Vettes, so had to check it out.

Here's the 180 headers on a rock buggy, he comes on at 12:02:

Last edited by Phimosis; 10-11-2017 at 04:35 PM.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:29 PM
Luwi67
2nd Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Matt,
Great thread and great work, your obstacle jumping is second to none. I love the way it all turned out.
Have you considered a 2 into one collector at the mid-pipe and running single exhaust instead of the X-pipe. I ask because I fabbed 180° headers for my 67 Camaro gen 1 smallblock some years ago and ran strait dual exhaust with tails exiting together and it sounded awful. I had two mufflers to work with, Spintechs and Dynomax Ulta-flow. Both were horrible.
I had considered the X but felt 180's didn't need it so I ran 2 into 1 and a single muffler and tail and got the sound I was after. In my case the Ultra flow sounded better than the Spintech.
When I built my collectors I arranged my primaries so the pulses had a rotational pattern through the collector. Like a Gatling gun.
Here is a short clip, just a stock 350:

Back near the beginning of this thread there was mention of Morgan/McClure racing Kodak #4 driven by Sterling Marlin. That car never ran 180° headers, in fact, NASCAR never allowed the use of them or special firing order camshafts. McClure brought Boyd Butler (Dr. Gas) in to design a legal exhaust for them. Boyd brought his oval tubed X-pipe. It gave the team 4 extra horse power and that was enough to dominate on the super speedways.

Last edited by Luwi67; 11-13-2017 at 08:32 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Luwi67:
NSFW (05-29-2018), Tinmatt (11-13-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 09:10 PM
Tinmatt
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Luwi67
Hi Matt,
Great thread and great work, your obstacle jumping is second to none. I love the way it all turned out.
Have you considered a 2 into one collector at the mid-pipe and running single exhaust instead of the X-pipe. I ask because I fabbed 180° headers for my 67 Camaro gen 1 smallblock some years ago and ran strait dual exhaust with tails exiting together and it sounded awful. I had two mufflers to work with, Spintechs and Dynomax Ulta-flow. Both were horrible.
I had considered the X but felt 180's didn't need it so I ran 2 into 1 and a single muffler and tail and got the sound I was after. In my case the Ultra flow sounded better than the Spintech.
When I built my collectors I arranged my primaries so the pulses had a rotational pattern through the collector. Like a Gatling gun.
Here is a short clip, just a stock 350:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaHuRj45bA0

Back near the beginning of this thread there was mention of Morgan/McClure racing Kodak #4 driven by Sterling Marlin. That car never ran 180° headers, in fact, NASCAR never allowed the use of them or special firing order camshafts. McClure brought Boyd Butler (Dr. Gas) in to design a legal exhaust for them. Boyd brought his oval tubed X-pipe. It gave the team 4 extra horse power and that was enough to dominate on the super speedways.
Thanks, much appreciated. I did the same "Gatling gun" pattern on the 180 degree headers I built for my Howe chassis car,

And was aiming for the same result for my Z06. But the flat 4 into 1 collectors did not allow for it.

I have not yet considered a 2 into 1 collector as the C5 chassis does not lend itself to a single exit exhaust very well. I would be interested to see how you made it happen under your first gen Camaro.

The X pipe certainly did not live up to my expectations. I have found that the old school way like the GT40s ran back in the Ferrari dominating days to give the best sound. I am currently happy with the sound through the factory Z06 mufflers but do wish to try some other options. I had some ideas but after trying a set of GHL bullets, I need to revisit what I thought would make the music I am after.

Very interesting to hear the story behind the #4 Kodak car. I had seen mentions of Dr Gas and his contributions but did not know exactly what they were.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:45 PM
Luwi67
2nd Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, the GT40 with it's short exhaust sounds best. After my shock and disappointment of my duals I did some research and thought maybe it was the long length of the rest of the exhaust that was giving the note such an awful sound. I stumbled onto some videos of a front engine race car doing some Swiss hillclimb racing with the sound I was after. This car was running 180° crossover headers and a single exhaust exiting in front of the rear wheel (NASCAR Monte Carlo). I gave the single exhaust a try and I was so relieved the 3 months I spent fabbing these 180's in the egine compartment of the 67 wasn't wasted.

I have an old thread on the Team Camaro, unfortunately the photos fell to the photobucket deal. This is the link: http://www.camaros.net/forums/33-cam...67-camaro.html
Definitely not as comprehensive as your thread but, there is a few pics.

I keep imagining your car at an muffler shop up on a lift and when the tech walks under and looks up at your exhaust his head explodes.

P.S Sorry my video link attached as a giant video, it was supposed to be just a small highlighted link.

Last edited by Luwi67; 11-13-2017 at 09:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
VFR RC46 (01-29-2020)
Old 06-15-2018, 05:55 AM
nkautz1
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

This thread is awesome. I caught the 180 header bug after hearing the gt40 and then realizing I had (almost) the same engine in my lemons race car (Ford 5.0). And I as well noticed a huge difference in the 2 pipe config vs the single or x-pipe. The 2 pipe sounds like a raspy 4 cylinder but the single pipe version sounds good and get tons of attention. My setup is different than the typical , I did 4-2 on each bank like tri-y's , combining the middle 2 cylinders on each bank into 1 collector and and the outer 2 into another. It's simple and That lets me deal with fewer pipes as the system travels to the final pair of 2 - 1 collectors where the crossover occurs. I still have some things to try , I'd really like to discover a way to make the 2-out sound better. I'll link to some videos on my youtube channel for those interested.

This is the odd sound with "true duals" :

and this is with x-pipe installed:
The following 3 users liked this post by nkautz1:
C4ProjectCar (04-26-2021), CFHay (06-18-2018), VFR RC46 (01-29-2020)
Old 06-18-2018, 07:20 PM
CFHay
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

The difference in sound with the X pipe is crazy
Old 06-19-2018, 12:04 AM
NSFW
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 137 Posts

I've always wondered what caused the buzzing noise from ricer exhausts... I still have no idea but it's interesting that even a V8 can do it too. At least the x pipe cures it.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:43 AM
0Deity.Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by CFHay
The difference in sound with the X pipe is crazy
Originally Posted by NSFW
I've always wondered what caused the buzzing noise from ricer exhausts... I still have no idea but it's interesting that even a V8 can do it too. At least the x pipe cures it.
The WOT sounds from no X pipe from my own setup has to be heard in person. It is intoxicating. I still can’t capture it half way decent with an external mic.

1/2 throttle can be very bland for sure. Just like OP stated with his own experience.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:00 AM
nkautz1
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Deity.Motorsports
The WOT sounds from no X pipe from my own setup has to be heard in person. It is intoxicating. I still can’t capture it half way decent with an external mic.

1/2 throttle can be very bland for sure. Just like OP stated with his own experience.
You can't say how good it is and then not follow up with some new footage The sound is never gonna hit any microphone the same way it hits your eardrums.... there's always gonna be a quality gap there, but that applies to any vehicle/video. I always use adobe premiere and vst plugins to clean up the audio , remove clipping , wind noise, add compression, etc... helps a lot. I guess yer gonna have to just pick your favorite flyby's or whatever and throw em up. If you ever make your way to the sfbay I can do some recording and I'll even give you a good mic you can keep.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:54 AM
0Deity.Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by nkautz1
You can't say how good it is and then not follow up with some new footage The sound is never gonna hit any microphone the same way it hits your eardrums.... there's always gonna be a quality gap there, but that applies to any vehicle/video. I always use adobe premiere and vst plugins to clean up the audio , remove clipping , wind noise, add compression, etc... helps a lot. I guess yer gonna have to just pick your favorite flyby's or whatever and throw em up. If you ever make your way to the sfbay I can do some recording and I'll even give you a good mic you can keep.
Some on here doesn’t like some spirited street driving, freeway entrance type of thing.

I’ll be up there sometimes this year and I’ll definitrly hit you up. Yeah I’m not good with this whole audio video thing.

First half is with X pipe and 2nd half is without crossover.

Video from in car is even harder to capture. A buddy of mine with C7Z with traditional headers was driving. He wanted to hear the differences from the driver’s perspective. He loves it that’s for sure.

RapidC84B (08-09-2019)
Old 06-19-2018, 04:26 PM
Tinmatt
Instructor

Very intriguing that the C5 and C7 seem to sound better without the X and the 5.0 in the BMW sounds better. Nick, do you have any pictures of your headers and exhaust? It would be interesting to compare.

Also, a heads up. I've been considering selling my Z06 for a while, way too many projects I want to do and it is taking up space and not being enjoyed like it should be. Expect a for sale thread for it soon.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:15 PM
NSFW
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 137 Posts

How critical is it to have 180-degree merges, versus just having equal-length runners and whatever merge sequence is easiest to fabricate?

My intuition says that equal length runners should be enough, but it's not like there's any reason to trust my intuition here.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:30 PM
smitty2919
Safety Car

Received 2,038 Likes on 1,202 Posts

In for any future updates.
Old 07-27-2019, 09:15 PM
Tinmatt
Instructor

Okay, it took way too long to get back on this project but the new mufflers are finally done and..... I don't know if I like them.

The new mufflers are a bullet style. Straight through perforated core wrapped in 1/4" of fine stainless steel wool and then an inch of a ceramic wool insulation. 2 1/2" I.D., 5" O.D., and 9" long.

After getting them done, I bolted them on behind the X pipe that did not work well in my opinion with the factory mufflers. I was bound and determined to use the X pipe and I hoped it and the new style mufflers would make the proper music. Once again, I was wrong. The nasty trumpety noise was back at 2000rpm. It's a very odd phenomenon, it goes as soon as it comes. Lasts for only a narrow rpm range, maybe 50rpms and only while accelerating. I could not get it to make the same noise at any steady state rpm. But every time I passed 2000rpms while going through the gears it barked at me like an annoying jack russel terrier that wanted attention and badly.

So the X pipe is no more. I cut it out of the exhaust mid section and set it on the bench thinking I could use it elsewhere on another project. The mid section was welded back together sans X, reinstalled, and ready to make better noises.

The more I drive it, the more I'm growing to like it. Not sure if I'm getting used to it or if the packing is breaking down a little. I recorded a three gear pull to hear it from outside the car and I'm still undecided. I'll give it some time but at this point I'm thinking the "bypass mod" on the factory ti mufflers might be the way to go. Anyways, here's how it sounds as of now.

The following 6 users liked this post by Tinmatt:
ArmchairArchitect (08-16-2021), C4ProjectCar (04-26-2021), Groffunitracing (01-27-2020), RapidC84B (08-09-2019), Tron Z (01-02-2024), VFR RC46 (01-29-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-27-2019, 10:22 PM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 429 Likes on 398 Posts

Best I've heard. You have really spent time perfecting this system.
Old 07-28-2019, 01:37 AM
Vette97sc
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Sound great

Last edited by Vette97sc; 07-28-2019 at 01:37 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Z06 180 degree header build thread

Old 07-29-2019, 08:39 AM
feeder82
Melting Slicks

Received 988 Likes on 626 Posts

My honest opinion, doesn't sound like a chevy any more. Got that f1 sound to me, not my thing. Too high pitched and raspy. But a beautiful system way to nice to just give up on.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:25 AM
acroy
Le Mans Master

Received 1,431 Likes on 858 Posts

pretty freaking sweet! thanks for updating. Would like to hear more, outside the car, maybe a fly-by
Old 07-29-2019, 11:35 AM
smitty2919
Safety Car

Received 2,038 Likes on 1,202 Posts

I agree, an outside video would be great. The last video has too much disturbance to accurately portray the tone.

Always nice to hear normal drive-by since a lot of setups sound good at WOT. It's getting the tone right in normal conditions that is tough.
Tinmatt (11-15-2019)

Quick Reply: C5 Z06 180 degree header build thread