C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IAT (MAT) Sensor vs Timing Mystery Solved....

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2002, 12:31 AM
chuckster
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default IAT (MAT) Sensor vs Timing Mystery Solved....

I pulled up the stock IAT vs Temp map with LS1-Edit and here is what I found..

First of all a relocated IAT does NOT increase timing at all. It only keeps the PCM from retarding any.

Second, there is no timing pull until the temps hit 104 degrees! And even then it does not pull timing until the pedal is more than half way down.

Summary...
The 57 degree timing tricker is way overkill A resistor to keep it at 100 would do the same thing...

The Timing Tricker can not be learned out by the pcm as some others have speculated.

The IAT is ONLY used to retard timing in the event of very hot air entering the intake.

Look at the chart I copied. I only converted the temps from C to F
http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/mi...0vs%20TEMP.xls

[Modified by chuckster, 10:33 PM 9/20/2002]

[Modified by chuckster, 10:37 PM 9/20/2002]
Old 09-21-2002, 02:26 AM
0Sales@MVPAutoParts.com
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: IAT (MAT) Sensor vs Timing Mystery Solved.... (chuckster)

That is very good info to know. I only used the IAT resistor mod to retard timings for my nitrous setup. :cheers:
Old 09-21-2002, 03:51 AM
Austrian Vette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Chuckster, you´re right.

That´s why I fake the IAT sensor with a resistor to let it see hot temps and then to retard the timing on my NOS runs.
That´s how it works.

Michael
Old 09-22-2002, 01:58 AM
vetetech
Intermediate

What you do not know is that you see a low octane versus a high octane table in LS! Edit.
What can keep the timing in the high octane table is the computer comfortable with the air temp at 57 degrees. slow learning with your cup never full! There are many tables that have not been added to LS1 edit
Do not get me wrong it is a wonderful tool. From all of your post's that I
seen you are going to overload your mind, it may take a lifetime.I have 20 years of engine management experience i give you answers and you ask for different replys what do you want, I do not have all the answers. i tell doctors i won't work on their patients leave their corvette computer controls to me. You are looking for simple fixes in a complex system.
Get your a/f mixture at 12.8:1 to 13:1 and timing at 24 -28 Degrees with no KR and leave it alone or your going to break something vetetech

[Modified by vetetech, 6:10 AM 9/22/2002]
Old 09-22-2002, 02:30 AM
MelloYellow
Le Mans Master

Default Re: IAT (vetetech)

What you are saying is that the 57* IAT Tricker helps when you have some minor KR and would normally fall onto the Low-Octane timing table, but instead if you have the 57* Tricker it keeps you on the High-Octane table?
Old 09-22-2002, 11:00 AM
vetetech
Intermediate

Default Re: IAT (MelloYellow)

yes
Old 09-22-2002, 09:05 PM
chuckster
Race Director

Sorry bro. I don't mean to insult you by asking others...It's like your Doctor analogy...I would never get an operation without a second opinion.... :D

Anyway I love information overload. I know I will make mistakes along the way but. I will get soooo much satisfaction learning this stuff for myself.. I know I will never be an expert but I think in the 1 week I have owned LS1-Edit I have learned more then most folks who have it a year...

Also..Please tell me more about what LS1-Edit does not do....This is important to me...If the PCM code is supposed to be secret and not public from GM then how do Steve Cole and Ed Wright program and what do they use...A Tech II.
Old 09-22-2002, 10:13 PM
scool93535
Drifting

So what value of resistance and wattage is needed to trick 57 degrees? :rolleyes:
Old 09-23-2002, 10:01 AM
chuckster
Race Director

Default Re: IAT (scool93535)

So what value of resistance and wattage is needed to trick 57 degrees? :rolleyes:
4.7k ohm. $.89 at Radio Shack for a bag of 5...

I use one. :smash:
Old 09-23-2002, 10:10 AM
123Gone
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: IAT (chuckster)

When I had my 2000 Camaro SS, I used the tricker. I did not like the effects. :nonod:
Old 09-23-2002, 10:13 AM
chuckster
Race Director

What you do not know is that you see a low octane versus a high octane table in LS! Edit.
What can keep the timing in the high octane table is the computer comfortable with the air temp at 57 degrees.
It think this is basically what I said in my original post. I do currently run a 4.7k resistor to maintain 57 degrees. I realize that there is a benefit to keeping the PCM from retarding timing if there is no knock.

But I am not sure what that has to do with the high and low octane tables...?

Are you inferring that the PCM will automatically switch to the Low Octane table if the IAT temps are too high?? Even if there is no K/R. If so then that has to be the one most important feature of the Timing tricker.. Unless of course you just use LS1-Edit and make both the high and low tables exactly the same.. :smash: :D

Yes I undertand the implications of doing this. However, if the K/R tables are left alone that will take care of it.

Get notified of new replies

To IAT (MAT) Sensor vs Timing Mystery Solved....

Quick Reply: IAT (MAT) Sensor vs Timing Mystery Solved....